When I click on "Turn off computer" Windows XP Pro shuts down OK, but then I
get a "blue screen" and have to hit the on/off button. Other than that I
haven't noticed any problems. Toshiba Tech Support has led me through
Restore, Power Management Utility reinstall, etc. with no luck. Also, when I
first got the laptop two months ago there were three options, Turn Off,
Restart, and Hibernate. Now there are only Turn Off and Restart, but both
lead to the blue screen.Two questions:
1) Is the problem likely to be H/W or S/W? I really don't want to reformat
my hard drive, especially if it might not solve the problem.
2) What is the downside of leaving it the way it is? Having to hit the off
button is not really a big deal.
--
RDouglas

Is the hibernate button still there as an option,but greyed-out.Usually,at
least
in xp,hibernate isnt available due to display drivers not up to date,go to
mfg
web site who makes the display adapter and update,make sure the chip set
is updated also.

"RDouglas" wrote:

> When I click on "Turn off computer" Windows XP Pro shuts down OK, but then I
> get a "blue screen" and have to hit the on/off button. Other than that I
> haven't noticed any problems. Toshiba Tech Support has led me through
> Restore, Power Management Utility reinstall, etc. with no luck. Also, when I
> first got the laptop two months ago there were three options, Turn Off,
> Restart, and Hibernate. Now there are only Turn Off and Restart, but both
> lead to the blue screen.Two questions:
> 1) Is the problem likely to be H/W or S/W? I really don't want to reformat
> my hard drive, especially if it might not solve the problem.
> 2) What is the downside of leaving it the way it is? Having to hit the off
> button is not really a big deal.
> --
> RDouglas

Now that you mention it, no, the hibernate button is not there, but a standby
by button is, but greyed-out. That really confused me. I'll assume your
advise is still relevant, so thanks for the lead.
--
RDouglas