HP DV6 Failing POST and BIOS auto repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacyman

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen,

This may be a stumper for most. I know it has stumped me and my friends and I believe I may have to replace the MOBO, but I want to run it past the community here. My son has an HP DV6-6119wm laptop. He was in the process of booting the system on a school trip, while the Windows splash screen was up, a kid closed the laptop on him. When he got back to the system to start it again, it went to a black screen for 20-30 seconds, then started the HP BIOS auto recovery. It made three passes said it failed and rebooted. Then stayed in this loop cycle. I have tried the standard suggestions on HP support. It will not respond to the Windows key + B. I read about using the Phoenix Crisis Recovery System, but cannot find where to actually download this program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roy

Hi :)

Bumping is not allowed here...for future reference...

When you say this other child CLOSED the laptop, do you really mean he SLAMMED it shut ?

If so, laptops are extremely prone to "impact damage" and this is at the bios level which makes it worse....

I only have two suggestions (and I own a Laptop repair company)

1, HP for repair, but I am pretty sure they will want to REPLACE the motherboard (VERY pricey :( )

2, Local Laptop repair shops for diagnosis.....at least it will be cheap to find the problem, my shops in the UK, as an example charge 1/2 hours labour for straight diagnosis (£27.50)

All the best Brett :)

Legacyman

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Brett,

1.) I apologize for Bumping, did not know it wasn't allowed, won't happen again.
2.) No the laptop was not slammed it was just closed
3.) I have been a computer tech (laptops and desktops) for 23 years. Thus the reason this is a stumper. No logical reason for it to be stuck in this cycle. That is why I came to a panel of my peers and those with superior knowledge to my own, to see if anyone had run across this problem before.

Thanks for the input though.

Legacyman

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
It hits the keyboard, video card, RAM, processor, etc... during post but never goes to the system. From power on to start of the UEFI is about 20 seconds.

It goes straight to HPs UEFI BIOS Auto recovery.
It will make three passes trying to recover the BIOS.
After 3rd pass is at 73% it stops and says auto-recovery failed.
Restarts the system and stays in that loop, 20 second of black screen, UEFI, 3 passes, fail, reboot. Have let it run as little as twice and as many as 20 times and never stops the cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.