First an explanation of my system.... I am running Windows XP Home, with
service pack 2, with a Pentium P4 3.0, with 1 gig of memory. I have
asked this question before on another forum but never have gotten a
good answer. I have a system that is running correctly. Once a week i
do a series of things, like cleaning the registry with a good registry
program, doing a windows "disk cleanup", and then using diskeeper to
defrag the disk. All of this works great and presents no problems. One
of the other things i like to do when i do all these things, is to do a
"sfc /scannow", just to be sure that no system files have been
corrupted. BUT here is where the problem begins. Whenever i do the sfc
/scannow, it goes through the entire checkup routine that sfc does, and
updates the files that need updating ( i guess ). After the sfc /scannow
has completed, i then do a reboot. But when i reboot and it comes onto
the windows screen where the 3 little dots show the loading
proceedures, it STOPS and reboots. In other words, the drive becomes
unusable. I have to resort to doing a casperXP (ghosting program ),
from another drive ( where i have a mirror image of my drive C ), to
get my machine to run properly again. What in the world could the sfc
program be writing to my hard drive, that would cause it to crash? I
have washed the XP Home cd, but that made no difference. I looked at it
closely and there appear to be no scratches on the cd. I have XP Pro for
another machine, but i dont think i can take the i386 files off of it to
do an sfc /scannow on my XP Home machine. So what are my options? Should
i borrow someone else's XP Home disk and see if theirs works? Or am i in
a situation where i better not use sfc /scannow? Also, does anyone know
if i can have my XP Home cd replaced by MicroSoft, if infact that is
what the problem is?

--
JohnFL

I dunno what you're problem is for certain.

scannow has some support error bulletins.
scanonce doesn't.