Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

sun's effect on wireless

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 18, 2004 8:39:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Does any one know if the heat of the sun can affect a wireless network?
We're using Netgear gear.

Ours keeps going off in the day (during this fine weather) but is fine at
night, early morning and early evening.

cheers

Al

More about : sun effect wireless

May 19, 2004 2:59:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Enta News wrote:

> Does any one know if the heat of the sun can affect a wireless network?
> We're using Netgear gear.
>
> Ours keeps going off in the day (during this fine weather) but is fine at
> night, early morning and early evening.
>
> cheers
>
> Al

Heat can definitely cause adverse affects but only if your equipment is
exposed to heat. Other possibilities come to mind, such as maybe during
the day someone else nearby is using a wireless device that kills your
signal... do you have some potent flourescent lights maybe?
May 19, 2004 6:19:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Are you operating this equipment from a flat rock in the middle of the
desert?

Excessive heat can affect any electronic equipment, but it's unlikely to be
the cause of your problems.

What exactly happens when your service "goes off"? Do you lose wireless
connectivity to the router, or are you simply unable to access the internet?
Without more specific information, possibilities include excessive internet
traffic and radio interference.

"Enta News" <thisisnot@realemailaddress> wrote in message
news:40aa2eed.0@entanet...
> Does any one know if the heat of the sun can affect a wireless network?
> We're using Netgear gear.
>
> Ours keeps going off in the day (during this fine weather) but is fine at
> night, early morning and early evening.
>
> cheers
>
> Al
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 19, 2004 1:25:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

We are going a few miles across countryside. We lose wireless connectivity
to the router.
We can rule out excessive internet traffic.
We point the network in four different directions from the top of a church
tower, and there are problems in more than one direction.

cheers

Alan

"gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:_uzqc.1223$rc6.414@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com...
> Are you operating this equipment from a flat rock in the middle of the
> desert?
>
> Excessive heat can affect any electronic equipment, but it's unlikely to
be
> the cause of your problems.
>
> What exactly happens when your service "goes off"? Do you lose wireless
> connectivity to the router, or are you simply unable to access the
internet?
> Without more specific information, possibilities include excessive
internet
> traffic and radio interference.
>
> "Enta News" <thisisnot@realemailaddress> wrote in message
> news:40aa2eed.0@entanet...
> > Does any one know if the heat of the sun can affect a wireless network?
> > We're using Netgear gear.
> >
> > Ours keeps going off in the day (during this fine weather) but is fine
at
> > night, early morning and early evening.
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > Al
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 19, 2004 1:26:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

This is taking place over several miles in different directions and so is
unlikely to be another wireless device.

cheers

"Rôgêr" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
news:87KdnVuWyJT0UDfdRVn-ug@pghconnect.com...
> Enta News wrote:
>
> > Does any one know if the heat of the sun can affect a wireless network?
> > We're using Netgear gear.
> >
> > Ours keeps going off in the day (during this fine weather) but is fine
at
> > night, early morning and early evening.
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > Al
>
> Heat can definitely cause adverse affects but only if your equipment is
> exposed to heat. Other possibilities come to mind, such as maybe during
> the day someone else nearby is using a wireless device that kills your
> signal... do you have some potent flourescent lights maybe?
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 19, 2004 1:42:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Enta News wrote:
> Does any one know if the heat of the sun can affect a wireless network?

Yes, it can.

Two possibilities come to mind:

The trivial idea is to look at connectors, antennas etc., everything
exposed to direct sunlight. Maybe some contact inside a connector breaks
up due to the thermal size changes when heated/cooled.

The other possibility is existing, although only seldom. Is this a long
distance link, maybe spanning a valley?
We have had problems with a real long distance link crossing the River
Rhein valley. In summer the air was heated and stared to rise in bubbles
from the valley. These bubbles are definetely of a different density and
lead to refractions and reflections which can severely influence a
microwave link. Afterwards we found out that this is a well known
phenomenom on links over valley and troughs, where the air is not
exchanged horizontally, but can only rise vertically, i.e. on a windless
day.

Regards,
Ekki
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 19, 2004 1:42:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Yes this is a long distance affair, altogether covering over ten mile with
Hop Stations, and it certainly goes through the countryside, with valleys
and hills (they tend to go hand in hand don't they!). So you may be on to it
there.

Any known solutions?

Alan

"Ekki Plicht" <df4or@web.de> wrote in message news:c8f38t$6gt$1@online.de...
> Enta News wrote:
> > Does any one know if the heat of the sun can affect a wireless network?
>
> Yes, it can.
>
> Two possibilities come to mind:
>
> The trivial idea is to look at connectors, antennas etc., everything
> exposed to direct sunlight. Maybe some contact inside a connector breaks
> up due to the thermal size changes when heated/cooled.
>
> The other possibility is existing, although only seldom. Is this a long
> distance link, maybe spanning a valley?
> We have had problems with a real long distance link crossing the River
> Rhein valley. In summer the air was heated and stared to rise in bubbles
> from the valley. These bubbles are definetely of a different density and
> lead to refractions and reflections which can severely influence a
> microwave link. Afterwards we found out that this is a well known
> phenomenom on links over valley and troughs, where the air is not
> exchanged horizontally, but can only rise vertically, i.e. on a windless
> day.
>
> Regards,
> Ekki
>
May 19, 2004 6:40:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Someone else suggested looking at all connections for evidence of
contraction/expansion problems. If your equipment is in weather-proof
enclosures (outdoor equipment should be), are you getting condensation
problems on humid days? What about wind - is your antenna moving slightly?

"Enta News" <thisisnot@realemailaddress> wrote in message
news:40ab1ab8.0@entanet...
> We are going a few miles across countryside. We lose wireless connectivity
> to the router.
> We can rule out excessive internet traffic.
> We point the network in four different directions from the top of a church
> tower, and there are problems in more than one direction.
>
> cheers
>
> Alan
>
> "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:_uzqc.1223$rc6.414@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com...
> > Are you operating this equipment from a flat rock in the middle of the
> > desert?
> >
> > Excessive heat can affect any electronic equipment, but it's unlikely to
> be
> > the cause of your problems.
> >
> > What exactly happens when your service "goes off"? Do you lose wireless
> > connectivity to the router, or are you simply unable to access the
> internet?
> > Without more specific information, possibilities include excessive
> internet
> > traffic and radio interference.
> >
> > "Enta News" <thisisnot@realemailaddress> wrote in message
> > news:40aa2eed.0@entanet...
> > > Does any one know if the heat of the sun can affect a wireless
network?
> > > We're using Netgear gear.
> > >
> > > Ours keeps going off in the day (during this fine weather) but is fine
> at
> > > night, early morning and early evening.
> > >
> > > cheers
> > >
> > > Al
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 19, 2004 9:09:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

As of this writing you have several suggestions:
(1) Direct sunlight induced thermal effects on equipment.
These can affect electronics, cabling/connectors, and
even focus - if mounts (including buildings/towers)
shift even slightly for any reason (including thermal).
(2) Heat-induced refraction layers. Sources can include not
only the rolling countryside effects mentioned but also
such heat sources as large paved areas (not necessarily
blacktop), factories, railroad roundhouses and railyards,
and any number of like scenarios.

You might also consider carefully that there are some radio-
frequency operations that might present interference during
daylight hours. Lowpower radio transmitters are one example;
in an urban area it's possible that crowds of people on
cellphones (and using other wireless gear) might present
a problem. And atmospheric thermal refraction effects that
might redirect any number of distant transmissions at one
or more of your antennas are another example.

Enta News wrote:

> Does any one know if the heat of the sun can affect a wireless network?
> We're using Netgear gear.
>
> Ours keeps going off in the day (during this fine weather) but is fine at
> night, early morning and early evening.
>
> cheers
>
> Al
>
>



-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 19, 2004 10:21:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

When I use my microwave oven, my wireless does not work.

Klaus
VirtualTuner.com


"gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<nlKqc.10001$SZ.5947@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com>...
> Someone else suggested looking at all connections for evidence of
> contraction/expansion problems. If your equipment is in weather-proof
> enclosures (outdoor equipment should be), are you getting condensation
> problems on humid days? What about wind - is your antenna moving slightly?
>
> "Enta News" <thisisnot@realemailaddress> wrote in message
> news:40ab1ab8.0@entanet...
> > We are going a few miles across countryside. We lose wireless connectivity
> > to the router.
> > We can rule out excessive internet traffic.
> > We point the network in four different directions from the top of a church
> > tower, and there are problems in more than one direction.
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > Alan
> >
> > "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > news:_uzqc.1223$rc6.414@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com...
> > > Are you operating this equipment from a flat rock in the middle of the
> > > desert?
> > >
> > > Excessive heat can affect any electronic equipment, but it's unlikely to
> be
> > > the cause of your problems.
> > >
> > > What exactly happens when your service "goes off"? Do you lose wireless
> > > connectivity to the router, or are you simply unable to access the
> internet?
> > > Without more specific information, possibilities include excessive
> internet
> > > traffic and radio interference.
> > >
> > > "Enta News" <thisisnot@realemailaddress> wrote in message
> > > news:40aa2eed.0@entanet...
> > > > Does any one know if the heat of the sun can affect a wireless
> network?
> > > > We're using Netgear gear.
> > > >
> > > > Ours keeps going off in the day (during this fine weather) but is fine
> at
> > > > night, early morning and early evening.
> > > >
> > > > cheers
> > > >
> > > > Al
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
May 20, 2004 2:42:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Wed, 19 May 2004 01:11:42 -0700, Enta News wrote
(in article <40ab1791.0@entanet>):

> Yes this is a long distance affair, altogether covering over ten mile with
> Hop Stations, and it certainly goes through the countryside, with valleys
> and hills (they tend to go hand in hand don't they!). So you may be on to it
> there.

Humidity is a problem to radio waves. During the day the air will always
contain more humidity, increasing proportionally to the temperature.

> Any known solutions?

Higher-power transmitters, higher-gain antennas (at both ends), better
antenna placement, more "Hop Stations"...

Maybe if you describe the type of equipment you have, in detail, we could
offer some suggestions.
--
DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 24, 2004 7:14:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Enta News wrote:

> Yes this is a long distance affair, altogether covering over ten mile with
> Hop Stations, and it certainly goes through the countryside, with valleys
> and hills (they tend to go hand in hand don't they!). So you may be on to it
> there.
>
> Any known solutions?

1.) Higher Power (antennas with higher gain)
2.) Shorter Links
3.) Lower frequency

Regards,
Ekki
!