How to boot from mirriored drive?

I've got a RAID 1 set setup using the Silicon Image 3114 controller
built in to my motherboard.

I've installed XP Pro, but I can't figure out how to make it fall back
to the second drive if the first one fails. I've simulated this
condition by yanking the first drive, and the system won't boot.

I can add the second drive to boot.ini but I don't see a "fallback"
keyword or anything like that to make it go on to the second entry.
How do I do this? This system will be sitting in a closet and this
needs to work without manual intervention.

Also, do I have to install a bootloader on the second drive? How would
I do this?

Thank you.
1 answer Last reply
More about boot mirriored drive

    You built the mirror?
    Theres a key combo to enter on boot up to access the raid configeration
    tool. - cannot remember which at the mo. it should show as you boot.
    Once mirror is built it should boot without problem if you 'yank' a drive.
    My sil. raid boots fine if I yank a drive.
    The sil controller doesnt have the capability of detecting which drive has
    failed, and has no auto switch ability.
    Some high end raid controler cards have the ability to detect which drive
    has a problem, but I believe you have to switch manually.
    Do **NOT** rely on the sil mirror raid for critical data, use a backup
    regime.
    I had a disk fail, when I booted to the other drive 2 months of data was
    missing. There had been no err.msgs from my sil controller. Both sil and my
    mobo manu were baffled. But I had full backups.

    "Jim Gottlieb" <jimmy@temp01.nccom.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a RAID 1 set setup using the Silicon Image 3114 controller
    > built in to my motherboard.
    >
    > I've installed XP Pro, but I can't figure out how to make it fall back
    > to the second drive if the first one fails. I've simulated this
    > condition by yanking the first drive, and the system won't boot.
    >
    > I can add the second drive to boot.ini but I don't see a "fallback"
    > keyword or anything like that to make it go on to the second entry.
    > How do I do this? This system will be sitting in a closet and this
    > needs to work without manual intervention.
    >
    > Also, do I have to install a bootloader on the second drive? How would
    > I do this?
    >
    > Thank you.

Boot Windows XP