Nextel and GSM - Help a Novice

O.K. I hear about GSM is now becoming the predominant means of cellular
communication, that it's all over the west cost and moving east.

AT&T is now pushing it.

Can someone tell me what the big difference is between GSM and what we have
now and also, if Nextel is going to adapt that technology?

Remember, your talking to a layman on this.

Thanks in advance!

"Mike Callery" <mcallery@cox.net> wrote in

> O.K. I hear about GSM is now becoming the predominant means of
> cellular communication, that it's all over the west cost and moving
> east.

Sounds like a story you heard in a AT&TW store in Ca.
GSM is in the larger cities and along the main roads, with more large
cities the coverage is better in the east than the west.

GSM = T-Mobile, AT&TW and or Cingular
TDMA = AT&TW, Cingular (better coverage)
CDMA = Verizon, Sprint
AMPS = Verizon, Cingular, AT&TW

> AT&T is now pushing it.
>
> Can someone tell me what the big difference is between GSM and what we
> have now and also, if Nextel is going to adapt that technology?

No, Nextel uses iden

The important thing is what cell towers close to you are using not that
it's GSM or not. Where I'am at all of the above provide good service but
if I go south then Cingular is best if I go North then Verizon. If I stay
on the main roads then Nextel, T-mobile, Sprint are ok.