Quality difference among game platforms

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
What explains the difference in graphics quality between gaming platforms (i.e. pc, ps, dc, ps2)? I was watching a demo of the playstation 2, and I was like, how come pc games don't look this good?

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

G

Have you ever seen Superbike 2001 at 1024x768x32. Trust me, if you were to look at a PS2 game on a monitor, it would look horribly blocky. TVs resolution is 640x400 i think. And probably the games are running at 16bit color.

Another reason is that the companies that make Console games (like Sony, Squaresoft, Namco, etc.)have a huge advantage in terms of money and staffing. It would probably take a normal PC development team twice as long to make a state of the art game for the PC as it would for a console. PC technology and software are always changing. New DX versions come out, new graphics cards with new capabilities. Consoles represent a static environment. Sony tells developers what the console can do, how to do it, and the developers only have to implement these findings.

Just as with PS1, in about a year, PC graphics will be looking much better than the PS2.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
all i can say is running mario64 emulated at 2048x1536 looks a lot better than on a monitor... the games are written specifically for the consoles with no hardware conflicts etc to take into account, very simple, no options as to resolution (other than with the n64 and its memory expansion and even there the resolution doesnt change, just the complexity) tvs take either 640x480 with consoles... potentially 800x600 but thats only with s-video... anyway i think that console games look terrible compared to even quake 3 when its played at 2048x1536 it looks incredible... i cant wait for the xbox games to be released on pc so that people with powerful boxes can take advantage...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
check out max payne and then come back tell me console graphics are better than pc's. but seriously, pc's aren't at fault, it is the game itself. pc's have the potential to blow consoles away, but you have to work with 10 different hardware manufacturers when you're dealing with pc's. and the game developers are the one's who have to be able to bring it all together. it's easier for consoles because they know exactly how to set everything up.

<font color=red>yeah baby, my kung fu's the best...</font color=red>

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
TV really runs at 640x400? I play all my games at 1024x768x32. Running a higher rez chokes my vid card. Why would running a PS2 game on a monitor look horribly blocky?
I do understand, though, the concept that a pc development team has a lot to consider in their programming that a console team would not.

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I have seen some good graphics on my pc. It's just that sometimes it seems like everything is in <i>POLYGON VISION</i>! It seemed like the graphics on the PS2 looked a little nicer (not so polygonish).

Oh well, R200 is being announced on Tuesday, so that should be arriving in stores soon. That'll, of course, start driving down prices for other cards. The x-box is coming out, which will probably drive down the price of the PS2.

It'll be interesting to see how the R200 performs. If the hype is true (the realistic, not the outrageous), I might have to pick up one of those!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The reason the PS2 looks less polygony is that TV's have a blurry picture. The affect is the same as Anti-Aliasing. The edges of the polygons are smoothed, or rather blurred out, with a television screen.

Video killed my Radio Card!

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
having a worse monitor as in a tv (pixels merged... much larger pitch...) the picure seemes smoother while it is not as focused but you tend to be further away so it matters less... i tried playing Q3A on tv-out... 800x600... looked quite odd...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
also a t.v. doesn't have nearly the dot pitch that a monitor does. i think that also accounts for the blurry, smoother appearing scenes.

<font color=red>yeah baby, my kung fu's the best...</font color=red>