PC vs. PS2

G

I'm sick of the PS2 getting all the good games. I mean Gran Turismo 3, that new Motocross game, Tekken Tag. Don't get me wrong, the PC has many of the best games. But it sucks when a game you really want is only on one system. I really don't want to spend $300+ on a new console system, considering I wouldn't use it all that much.

But whats really getting me mad is how good the games look on the PS2. Whats up with the graphics in PC games these days? The PC should look super real. But most games just don't look that great. I think the most realistic looking game i have seen so far is Superbike 2001. We need more games like that.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
have you ever played Half life?
thats pretty nice looking for how old it is. Also UT looks very nice, the Need for Speed games look nice, and most of the 2000-2001 sports games from EA look stunning.

Also now you should check out Max Payne. Its got photo realistic textures that are high bit (not that half life 8 bit crap I think its 24 bit).
I'll take a PC over console any day. Who cares of the graphics look nice, your only playing against a computer opponent, not much fun in that. Unless you have friends over, but nothing beats massive online games

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I've got both Ha! Ha! Ha!

have you seen max payne on a decent PC yet? looks good

--------------------------------

Look at the size of that thing!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well, graphics processing wise, a modern processor with a Geforce3 graphics card can easily outdo the PS2's processing power so theoretically, games designed for modern computers should look better than those designed for the PS2. The XBox is a different story. It carries a superior variation of the Geforce3 chip making it capable of playing games more advanced than any current PC is able to at reasonable speeds (60 fps).

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Folks sad news PS2 is only using 20% of its true power. By 2003 it will be at 100% but PS3 will be out. Also the Radeon2 maxx will own the Pc graphics market.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
If GT3 is only running the PS2 at 20% I can't wait for future developements.

Reason I like a console as well as a PC, I can frag the living daylights out of my mates without any of that network messing around that LAN parties involve

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the rest is given off as heat... simple... its using a lot more than 20% of its power... closer to 60... probably more...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Where did you guys hear that? Why would a PS2 programmer use only 20% of the processing power available to him? I doubt it. But then again, there aren't any games that make use of the overpowered high-end PCs of today.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Unfortunately, unlike PC (and therefore Xbox), the PS2 is pants to program, programmers are having to learn how to get the best from the hardware. Don't know if that 20% figure is spot on but games technical quality have certainly improved since I got mine at christmas. (I'm not gonna get into a this game is pants type argument hence trying to look at the techie side only)

hmg57

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
I played Gran Turismo 3 recently and it conviced me that PC is better than consoles. As far as graphics are concerned, I would take Need for Speed 5 anytime. I was really disappointed by the game. Of course, if they can make a TV screen reach a 1600x1200 resolution, I may change my mind.

BTW, Gran Turismo 3 at 1600x1200 on my 19" monitor would be REALLY nice !!! :smile:

"Before you give someone a piece of your mind make sure you can get by with what you have left"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hmg57 on 08/13/01 12:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The thing about PCs is that the software has to be compatible with all of the available hardware. For example, if some game company decided to not concern themselves with compatibility, but just to develop a game that will work on only a GF2 GTS and a SB Live and using SSE, then they'll probably make a game that looks far superior than its PS2 counterpart and outclasses it in all other department.

Also, PS2 runs the games at TV resolutions, makeing it easier to have plenty of eyecandy and still have high framerates.

If you want to know what one of the latest PCs should be capable of, just look at the XBox Games.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by holygrenade on 08/14/01 02:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS