Closed Solved

Is it possible to upgrade the video card in an Acer aspire 4830tg?

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire 4830tg with an integrated Intel gpu and a Geforce gt540m gpu. I'd like to replace the Geforce card with something more powerful, but I can't find any info about how to do it or if it's even possible.

The motherboard is an InsydeH20, model number JM40_HR.

Thanks for any information or help.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade video card acer aspire 4830tg
  1. Your laptop has integrated graphics, which means the chip is soldered to the motherboard. This is not an upgradable part.
  2. ratedk said:
    Your laptop has integrated graphics, which means the chip is soldered to the motherboard. This is not an upgradable part.

It also has a separate geforce gt 540m. Shouldn't I be able to replace that with a gpu from the same line of cards or something?
  3. Pretty much nope, laptop aren't made to switch out part easy there are a few very high end laptop that have MX slots but I don't think your is and even though are very rare.
  4. Best answer
    In general, the answer to "can I upgrade my laptop's GPU" is almost always "no".

Only specific laptops, like those from Sager/Clevo, MSI, or Alienware usually have standardized upgradeable video cards (MXM), and even those are usually only their high-end 15" and 17" models.

It is possible that other brands and models might have a proprietary video designs which allow replacement, but these rarely allow "upgrade" unless the same model shipped with a superior GPU in more expensive models.

Even if a superior model existed... this is a 14" laptop from 2011. You aren't going to get much better than a 540m in there.

Given that this is an Acer 14" value-model, I sincerely doubt it.
  5. Probably not worth it even if you can. You will have to do some soldering replace it. Also it would have to be the same size.
  6. Best answer selected by spdbump08.
  7. This topic has been closed by Brett928S2
Ask a new question

Read More

Acer Aspire Geforce GPUs Laptops