Sign in with
Your question

Add two monitors to laptop with HDMI and VGA output - can it happen?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
February 5, 2013 5:12:40 AM

I have a Aspire here with a decent video card! I am upgrading the RAM - and I heard it does do a big difference with the graphics on this model! Radeon 7640G - I already tested it with one external TV and it worked fantastic with flight simulator on high settings!
Just wait for the RAM upgrade! Someone wrote a review on this laptop on Amazon specifying upgrading the RAM has done a great difference with the graphics score.

So I want to do that, and I also want to add TWO monitors! They wouldn't be used for gaming - just for productivity.

I would want to use the laptop display and the two monitors on each side.

However, could it be possible to do this? I would extend the displays to all three displays. I know AMD's software allows this but I'm not sure with the wiring setup, and what to look for?

Could I buy a HDMI two to one cable (not sure the proper name, I know we use them for DVR setups - octopus cables) and hook that up to my laptop and then it would see ALL three displays?

OR do I need to buy a box, hook that into my HDMI or VGI output, and then hook in the two monitors to the box?

I am tech savvy (taking computer maintenance in college and it is boring because I haven't learned anything new and I'm done almost with a bachelors), but this I am not too sure on. I know with a desktop, you could do it if it had the number of outputs, etc. But I am not sure with laptops so this will be a learning experience!

I hope to get some helpful advice!
a b D Laptop
February 6, 2013 9:32:42 PM

Even if you have both HDMI & VGA outputs, you'll only be able to use one at a time. Or, at best, they will share the same picture output.

If you want to run more than 1 external monitor off your laptop, you'll need to use some type of USB multi-monitor adapter. Most of these will require a USB 3.0 port.

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+multiple+monitors+a...
m
l
July 13, 2014 11:10:34 PM

This works no worries at all. I have a VGA screen, HDMI and the laptop screen all active and able to move between them all.
m
l
!