My laptop won't connect to my TV anymore

Tags:
  • TV
  • Connection
  • Computers
  • Laptops
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
February 5, 2013 12:32:10 PM

Just recently my TV won't recognize my computer anymore. I have an HP laptop with Windows Vista and an LG TV. When I connect them my TV says it's connecting and then it says no signal. It was working just the other day. The only thing that has changed is that I loaded Clear Connection on my computer for internet, but I don't see how that would change anything on my computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

More about : laptop connect anymore

a b D Laptop
a b x TV
February 5, 2013 1:28:10 PM

How were you connecting the Laptop to the TV? (HDMI, VGA, LAN, etc)
m
l
February 5, 2013 1:45:42 PM

ronintexas said:

HDMI
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b x TV
February 5, 2013 1:50:49 PM

Clear Connection wouldn't create issues for the TV. Try reseating the HDMI cable first and see if that will bring the connection back. HDMI cables can be finicky, and moving the laptop could have jostled the cable.

m
l
February 5, 2013 3:18:28 PM

I tried to put it into the other port on my TV and I unplugged it on my computer numerous times to see if that would help...no luck
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b x TV
February 5, 2013 3:32:57 PM

Do you have another HDMI cable to try? I know some laptops require the TV to be plugged in, and tuned to the proper HDMI port prior to booting....you can try that.
m
l
February 6, 2013 2:28:22 AM

I have the TV tuned to the right port. I haven't changed anything from the last time I got it to work. I know the cable works because I used it on another TV. It's like the signal gets interrupted or something because my TV will act like it's about to connect and then it doesn't.
m
l
February 6, 2013 3:04:25 AM

I also looked at a forum for HP and someone else had my same issue but it didn't have an answer either. Here is what they had, I think they explain it a little better.

"when i have the cord plugged into my computer and my tv and i select duplicate the screen turns black then comes back up with the tv still responding no signal"

That is what keeps happening with mine. My laptop screen will go black like it usually does before it connects and meanwhile my TV says connecting. Then my laptop screen comes back on and my TV says no signal.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b x TV
February 6, 2013 12:58:01 PM

Check your Device Manager to see if any hardware items have issues (yellow exclamation point). I am wondering if the installation of your Clear Connection created an issue with the drivers. While not probable, it is possible....
m
l
February 7, 2013 3:54:56 PM

It doesn't show any flags.
m
l
February 7, 2013 3:55:49 PM

I tried to do the windows logo + p but that isn't working either...
m
l
July 14, 2013 10:50:38 PM

I have the EXACT same situation, with the SAME EXACT equipment (HP Laptop and LG TV) I'm at my wit end as my laptop and tv haven't been connected for some time now, but would love to watch movie on DVD right now, and my laptop is the only DVD player I have right now. This may be a job for HP or LG exclusively.
m
l
January 8, 2014 5:43:39 PM

MickeyJRay said:
I have the EXACT same situation, with the SAME EXACT equipment (HP Laptop and LG TV) I'm at my wit end as my laptop and tv haven't been connected for some time now, but would love to watch movie on DVD right now, and my laptop is the only DVD player I have right now. This may be a job for HP or LG exclusively.

I have the same exact problem but my tv is a sony google tv, but the weird thing is when I hook up to my other tv(not a smart tv) it displays my computer... what the hell is wrong?
m
l
March 18, 2014 10:28:38 PM

I have same problem with a view sonic TV and a Dell computer!! I also want to watch movies!! I have another hdmi cable that turns into a mini hdmi for smartphones aa well as a usb? Should this cable work with computer? ( the hdmi to hdmi cable isn't working anymore with my dvd player as it used to either.) That's why I was thinking it was cord, but if the hdmi to USB cord should work with computer, then it's not that simple. Do I need to change the settings on my computer to recognize the hdmi to USB cord? So I can try to hook up the computer that way? Windows 8. ( I am new to windows 8 and hate it!!)
m
l
March 21, 2014 2:50:26 PM

i have a HP laptop with windows 8.1 and im using a VGA to HDMI cord to extend my computer my my LG Smart TV and the cord is brand new. it doesnt work on my smart tv or the non-smart tv i have in my room.
m
l
April 3, 2014 9:56:19 AM

glma_engine said:
Just recently my TV won't recognize my computer anymore. I have an HP laptop with Windows Vista and an LG TV. When I connect them my TV says it's connecting and then it says no signal. It was working just the other day. The only thing that has changed is that I loaded Clear Connection on my computer for internet, but I don't see how that would change anything on my computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CLICK THIS LINK AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTION,,PROBLEM SOLVED. IT WORKED FOR ME! http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/digital-home/3369195/...
m
l
June 16, 2014 9:39:37 PM

I'm having thew same exact problem. I have a custom built laptop, and a Samsung Smart 3D TV. Ive been using the same 25Ft HDMI Cable for over a year. Just stopped working randomly and I never moved the laptop or changed it's position. I use an Ausus Monitor as my Laptop screen and my desktop Asus screen works fine with all my HDMI cables, only the TV to Laptop Connection reads "No Signal" Ive tried on 3 different HDMI cables. all the same response. While my PS3 works on all the HDMI cables in every port of the TV. So it's the connection between my Windows 8 Laptop that worked for over a year and randomly stopped. I have not installed any programs or made any changes to my laptop. Just stopped working cold Turkey
m
l
June 26, 2014 7:23:23 AM

Mate I had the same problem my Dell laptop would not display external monitors. I then when into control panel system and maintenance and into check drivers. Click on display drivers double click and it should tell you if your driver is working properly. My one said it wasn't working properly. So I clicked on the option below to reinstall display driver and windows dud thhs automatically and solved the problem!
m
l
July 20, 2014 1:53:12 PM

If you have Nvidia go to the nvidia control panel and press the windows key and p at the same time until you get a extend screen the go to set up multiple screen set up and then you'll see laptop display and your TV (whatever it is) and un check your laptop and wait until the 15 sec begin and close the lid and see if it works. It did for me and click apply if it did. Hope this help you all.
m
l
July 26, 2014 12:32:53 PM

glma_engine said:

I had this problem and after wasting close to an hour on this forum I finally found an answer by myself. Here's what you do:

Go into Device Manager

Display adater

Double click on your graphics card

You should see an option that says ROLL BACK DRIVER

Click that.

(Don't freak out if your resolution gets messed. )

Now just update the driver

Hope this helped!!
m
l
September 7, 2014 6:31:47 PM

glma_engine said:

I had the same problem with my laptop to my Sony Bravia. After determining that the HDMI cable was OK I turned on my TV, then unplugged it, hoping that would work as a reboot of the tv's system, Lo and behold, it worked! Give it a try....
m
l
September 7, 2014 6:36:55 PM

glma_engine said:

I had the same issue with my PC lapper and my Sony Bravia, and after determining that the HDMI cable and laptop output was ok on another TV, I turned on the Bravia, then unplugged it, hoping that would work as a de facto reboot and, lo and behold, it worked! Give it a try.

m
l
September 10, 2014 3:42:00 PM

Metalheadx27 said:
glma_engine said:

I had this problem and after wasting close to an hour on this forum I finally found an answer by myself. Here's what you do:

Go into Device Manager

Display adater

Double click on your graphics card

You should see an option that says ROLL BACK DRIVER

Click that.

(Don't freak out if your resolution gets messed. )

Now just update the driver

Hope this helped!!

m
l
October 29, 2014 1:01:43 AM

All I did was let my laptop cool off for about hour then it worked again
m
l
November 23, 2014 9:04:27 AM

ronintexas said:

I have a Sony vaio and it use to connect via hdmi now my tv doesn't recognize it doesn't even try to connect, what's wrong?
m
l
December 11, 2014 7:38:10 AM

I have a same problem, tried all you mentioned here and still no signal on my LG TV.
It seems to me like this connection was interupted when I installed win 8.1 on my PC, but I cannot belive in that theory and still looking for solution on forums.
I cannot recall if this problem firstly occured when I installed new OS win 8.1 or not so I am not sure but 3-4 years before it worked properly.
I have no device problems, tried to extend and duplicate displays (at nvidia control panel and screen resolution manu), windows key+p.
But every time when I connect or disconnect HDMI to TV PC makes a sound like something is connected or disconected, and when HDMI cable is connected on TV I can see HDMI ikon like it could be chosen, but when cable is disconnected HDMI cable icon is gray and couldnt be chosen.
Also in menu adjust screen resolution when PC and TV are conected both displays are recognizable but why TV says "no signal" and how to see anything on TV as I have on PC monitor I realy do not have solution.
Sorry for my bad english, but I hope someone has any idea hove to solve this issu.

Thanks in advance
m
l
December 26, 2014 12:57:39 AM

I had the exact same problem. While the laptop is connected to the tv, turn your tv off wait a few seconds then turn it back on
m
l
January 8, 2015 5:01:49 PM

Had the exact same problem. Follow these steps to resolve it.
1. Right click on your laptop main page and click Personalize
2. Click Display Settings and then Advanced Settings
3. Click on the graphics card tab at the top. It should be above the Adapter, Monitor, Troubleshoot, and Color Management tabs
4. Then click Graphics Properties, Multiple Displays
5. From the Operating mode section select Clone Displays then click Apply

This should fix your problem
m
l
January 14, 2015 9:42:33 AM

I'm having the same issue. Some of these resolutions isn't working. I don't have the same options in my personalization on my laptop. I have a HP.
m
l
January 14, 2015 9:54:55 AM

Omg! It worked.
m
l
January 17, 2015 11:28:45 AM

glma_engine said:

m
l
January 19, 2015 11:46:22 AM

I just had this problem today! Go to the bottom left where the microsoft symbol is, right click, and open up Device Manager. From there, double click display adapters, then right click Intel Graphics. Then click update driver software. Then browse my computer, then let me pick, then select the software from 2012. It worked for me! Good luck!
m
l
February 26, 2015 2:20:20 AM

J Leon said:
I had the exact same problem. While the laptop is connected to the tv, turn your tv off wait a few seconds then turn it back on

Wholly shit this worked!! lol. Thanks man.
m
l
April 12, 2015 6:15:19 AM

glma_engine said:

Another LG user finds TV failing to connect on Laptop

I had same thing starting this year . intel and microsoft both tried to help, but my other TV works fine, the LG does not anymore , yet LG failing to reply
m
l
October 1, 2015 11:06:17 AM

Hi..
I faced this same problem when i upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10.I also suggest the same method..goto device manager..get display adapter and then update your driver...well..it worked for me!Or you guys try to reinstall the driver or rollback it!Do it anyway!Dont bother about any yellow exclamation marks...I just Hope and wish it works for you guys as well..Best wishes :) 
Swathi
m
l
November 13, 2015 12:30:13 PM

ronintexas said:

Hi im having the exact same problem as glma engine above only im using vga.It was working before now suddenly its not.Any suggestions? Thanks.
m
l
December 6, 2015 4:48:43 AM

TeranceB said:
Had the exact same problem. Follow these steps to resolve it.
1. Right click on your laptop main page and click Personalize
2. Click Display Settings and then Advanced Settings
3. Click on the graphics card tab at the top. It should be above the Adapter, Monitor, Troubleshoot, and Color Management tabs
4. Then click Graphics Properties, Multiple Displays
5. From the Operating mode section select Clone Displays then click Apply

This should fix your problem

Worked for me.... With a HISENSE HD Ready tv and a HP Laptop

Thanks!!
m
l
January 29, 2016 6:12:18 PM

Yeah, unplug your TV and it should fix things. A port of mine stopped connecting to my laptop but the other port worked fine. No PC setting changes were helping but just unplugging the TV seemed to reset it somehow and it works perfectly as before on both ports
m
l
February 20, 2016 9:44:31 AM

Always good to know Im not alone :) 
I have an Acer laptop and connect to a HD TV with HDMI cable. Its been working fine for over a year, even after upgrading to Windows 10.
What I get thats not mentioned here is when the PC is powering up my TV will show the same image as the laptop (the Windows 10 window with the circle of dots underneath) but on my TV screen the image is distored, ie its a blue background (laptop black) and has lots of black lines across the screen like its not tuned in right.

Ive gone into drivers for my onboard graphics card and it says its up to date.
The weird thing is, if I go into sound settings the Playback thats normally auto enabled when HDMI is connected - ATI HDMI OUTPUT- to my laptop is showing as not plugged in.
Yet if I go into Control Panel - Display- it shows SAMSUNG (my TV) as the 2nd option and when I disconnect the HDMI from my laptop it makes the disconnect sound, yet still it says under sound settings its unplugged and the tv stays a black screen after the initial blue distorted loading screen.
It must be an update to Windows or something as its happened in the last fw weeks and Im not aware of anything else thats been updated.

Ive tried unplugging both laptop and TV and plugging back in again but I still get the same result.
Ive tried updating Graphics card driver and Ive tried a different HDMI cable too.
m
l
February 27, 2016 6:13:42 AM

Chase_5 said:
Yeah, unplug your TV and it should fix things. A port of mine stopped connecting to my laptop but the other port worked fine. No PC setting changes were helping but just unplugging the TV seemed to reset it somehow and it works perfectly as before on both ports

Did anyone find a solution to this?

I rolled back to Windows 7 as Ive found out my laptops graphics card isnt supported on windows 10, so I thought that would be the problem.
But even on Windows 7 its the identical issue.

http://vid271.photobucket.com/albums/jj153/roninxena/VI...

this is a link to a video of whats happening on start up, the TV is showing the laptop image but its got a blue background instead of black and it only last until the laptop asks for User login id, then the TV shows No Source, but it stays highlighted in the Source list as if its connected to something that is actually on ( my ps4 is in the other HDMI and it only lights that Source up when the PS4 is actually on) on windows display settings it shows my Samsung TV as detected as second monitor too.

Have tried changing cables, switching off and unplugging, changing HDMI sockets and tested the HDMI connection on my laptop on a monitor screen to confirm its okay, Ive now tried rolling back to W7 and its still the same issue :( 

m
l
February 27, 2016 12:00:29 PM

I had the same problem. My connection from my computer to my tv via a HDMI cord was fine one day, now my tv says theirs no signal/source. Couldn't get it to do exactly what I wanted but I least got it to transfer the view to my tv.

just right clicked my desktop screen

clicked Graphic Options

clicked output to...

selected digital television.

I don't have the computer screen and the television screen anymore but at least it shows up on the tv a quick fix for an impatient person like myself.
m
l
February 28, 2016 7:24:17 AM

Christina_tx said:
I had the same problem. My connection from my computer to my tv via a HDMI cord was fine one day, now my tv says theirs no signal/source. Couldn't get it to do exactly what I wanted but I least got it to transfer the view to my tv.

just right clicked my desktop screen

clicked Graphic Options

clicked output to...

selected digital television.

I don't have the computer screen and the television screen anymore but at least it shows up on the tv a quick fix for an impatient person like myself.

Yes Ive tried that too thanks, it does show my Samsung as a 2nd monitor but nothing comes up on TV :( 
You could try holding the windows button and pressing P, if you havent already Christina, it normally brings up 4 options for Projection.
m
l
March 11, 2016 7:58:22 PM

I'm having the same problem! Its EXTREMELY frustrating.:no: 
m
l
May 4, 2016 11:18:07 AM

Untechie227 said:
glma_engine said:

I had the same problem with my laptop to my Sony Bravia. After determining that the HDMI cable was OK I turned on my TV, then unplugged it, hoping that would work as a reboot of the tv's system, Lo and behold, it worked! Give it a try....

This worked for me also with a Samsung smart TV and my Asus Aspire E 15
m
l
May 4, 2016 11:43:08 AM

I gave up and am currently mulling over one of these cheapy £120 pc's as its only for watching streams on my big tv. Might even get a PC Stick if there is a reliable one about.
m
l
July 22, 2016 7:46:07 PM

glma_engine said:

I had the same issue, so I studied the LG TV guide and discovered that you must get a top quality HDMI cable of the specifications cited in the TV's owner's manual, once I went and got the best cable at Best Buy that I could it worked like a champ. I was tearing my hair out and updated drivers and the rest of it until I just bought a top quality cable, with the premium cable everything worked great and my computer recognized the computer right away. I am running Windows 10 and followed the TV's owner's manual step by step and it worked!
m
l