Dell memory key and old computer?

Hi, I'm back with another question. I have a Dell 128mb memory key
that I would like to use to transfer some old files to my new computer.
The old computer is a Dell Dimension L500r, running Win98 SE. Thus far
I cannot get the old computer to do anything but recognize the
existence of the new memory key. When I plug it into the port, nothing
happens. It does appear in Device Manager as "Dell Memory Key" with a
yellow question mark in front of it and with no properties listed, and
I get the message that "drivers for this device are not installed."
Even though I don't think it needs drivers to run, I did click on the
Reinstall Drivers button, to no avail.

Is there any way to make my old computer recognize this memory key, or
should I just go ahead and transfer my files another way?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Carly

No, I sure didn't. How would I go about doing that?

Carly

WSZsr wrote:
> Did you install a driver for Win98?
>
> <cardelyo@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I'm back with another question. I have a Dell 128mb memory key
> > that I would like to use to transfer some old files to my new computer.
> > The old computer is a Dell Dimension L500r, running Win98 SE. Thus far
> > I cannot get the old computer to do anything but recognize the
> > existence of the new memory key. When I plug it into the port, nothing
> > happens. It does appear in Device Manager as "Dell Memory Key" with a
> > yellow question mark in front of it and with no properties listed, and
> > I get the message that "drivers for this device are not installed."
> > Even though I don't think it needs drivers to run, I did click on the
> > Reinstall Drivers button, to no avail.
> >
> > Is there any way to make my old computer recognize this memory key, or
> > should I just go ahead and transfer my files another way?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> > Carly

Well, it took me several hours of googling and trying various driver
downloads before I got smart enough to go to the Dell support forums,
only to learn that my particular memory key has no drivers for Win98.
So at least I know. Now I have to decide if it's worth keeping on the
off-chance that I'll want to transfer data between home and work, or if
I want to go through the hassle of returning it, considering that the
only reason I added it to my order was to transfer files from the old
to the new computer.

Carly

cardelyo@aol.com wrote:
> No, I sure didn't. How would I go about doing that?
>
> Carly

Have you tried checking the manufacturer's web site? If they no longer
support it, you can still probably find drivers by searching the model
on Google. Also, it may be simpler and faster (esp. if the files are on
the same network) to send the files via Windows share or FTP.

Ben Myers wrote:

> Let's hope there ARE drivers for the device. It is a newer USB 2.0 device, but
> it may draw little enough power to work OK with the USB 1.1 on the L500r. If
> you can't find drivers for it somewhere, you may be out of luck... Ben Myers

Well as long as the device can get enough power (which it would seem to
since 98SE is recognizing it), you could always boot with a live Linux
CD, and copy the files over from there.

"cardelyo@aol.com" <cardelyo@aol.com> wrote:
>[128M memory key] Now I have to decide if it's worth keeping on the
>off-chance that I'll want to transfer data between home and work, or if
>I want to go through the hassle of returning it, considering that the
>only reason I added it to my order was to transfer files from the old
>to the new computer.

I find them to be a useful replacement for a floppy drive, so I'd keep
it. How much did you pay for it anyway? I just bought my wife a 256M
Cruzer Micro from Staples for $35, trying to get Dell to take
something back would cost way more than $35 worth of my time...

I just upgraded my keychain drive to 1G for about $100, but I use mine
for everything, and the 512M was filling up...

You're probably right about the time it would take to return the key to
Dell. I think I paid $39 for it. Sounds like I overpaid, eh? Does
the one you bought from Staples work with Win98, do you know?

Carly

William wrote:
> "cardelyo@aol.com" <cardelyo@aol.com> wrote:
> >[128M memory key] Now I have to decide if it's worth keeping on the
> >off-chance that I'll want to transfer data between home and work, or if
> >I want to go through the hassle of returning it, considering that the
> >only reason I added it to my order was to transfer files from the old
> >to the new computer.
>
> I find them to be a useful replacement for a floppy drive, so I'd keep
> it. How much did you pay for it anyway? I just bought my wife a 256M
> Cruzer Micro from Staples for $35, trying to get Dell to take
> something back would cost way more than $35 worth of my time...
>
> I just upgraded my keychain drive to 1G for about $100, but I use mine
> for everything, and the 512M was filling up...

It's likely that your assertion is accurate. But I have run into USB 2.0
devices recognized perfectly by an older USB 1.1 (notebook) system, yet they
failed to operate properly when the power drawn by the device exceeded the power
spec of a USB 1.1 port.

Still, the OP needs Win 98 drivers, even with a USB 2.0 add-in card as a
potential solution... Ben Myers

On Tue, 31 May 2005 02:44:50 GMT, Nicholas Andrade <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:
>
>> Let's hope there ARE drivers for the device. It is a newer USB 2.0 device, but
>> it may draw little enough power to work OK with the USB 1.1 on the L500r. If
>> you can't find drivers for it somewhere, you may be out of luck... Ben Myers
>>
>Well as long as the device can get enough power (which it would seem to
>since 98SE is recognizing it), you could always boot with a live Linux
>CD, and copy the files over from there.

"cardelyo@aol.com" <cardelyo@aol.com> wrote:
>the one you bought from Staples work with Win98, do you know?

Hard to tell, and I'm far from my Win98 machine. I _thought_ there
were generic "mass storage" device drivers that'd work under Win98,
but USB was so flakey in the early days (before Win2K/XP) that I'm not
sure I'd bother.

<cardelyo@aol.com> wrote in message
| Hi, I'm back with another question. I have a Dell 128mb memory key
| that I would like to use to transfer some old files to my new computer.
| The old computer is a Dell Dimension L500r, running Win98 SE. Thus far
| I cannot get the old computer to do anything but recognize the
| existence of the new memory key. When I plug it into the port, nothing
| happens. It does appear in Device Manager as "Dell Memory Key" with a
| yellow question mark in front of it and with no properties listed, and
| I get the message that "drivers for this device are not installed."
| Even though I don't think it needs drivers to run, I did click on the
| Reinstall Drivers button, to no avail.
|
| Is there any way to make my old computer recognize this memory key, or
| should I just go ahead and transfer my files another way?
|
| Thanks in advance for your help.
| Carly

Windows 98 drivers for Dell USB Memory Keys are available here;
http://www.memorykeytools.com/

--
Doug

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

cardelyo@aol.com wrote:
> You're probably right about the time it would take to return the key to
> Dell. I think I paid $39 for it. Sounds like I overpaid, eh? Does
> the one you bought from Staples work with Win98, do you know?
>
> Carly

Yes, $39 is a bit high for 128MB; you can genereally get two to four
times that much space for that price if you keep an eye on coupon sites.
Another alternative, if both computers have cd burners is to just
carry a CD-RW. I picked up a 5 pack of 3" mini CD-RW's (they fit in the
inner tray of most drives) for under $10 at CompUSA; they are about the
size of a floppy but carry 180MB.

Hi!

> But I have run into USB 2.0
> devices recognized perfectly by an older USB 1.1 (notebook) system, yet
they
> failed to operate properly when the power drawn by the device exceeded the
power
> spec of a USB 1.1 port.

Aren't all USB ports capable of 500mA worth of current supply no matter the
speed or revision?

I've always thought this was the case...unless maybe USB 2.0 can support
"overloading" a port.

William

William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>

>>But I have run into USB 2.0
>>devices recognized perfectly by an older USB 1.1 (notebook) system, yet
>
> they
>
>>failed to operate properly when the power drawn by the device exceeded the
>
> power
>
>>spec of a USB 1.1 port.
>

> Aren't all USB ports capable of 500mA worth of current supply no matter the
> speed or revision?
>
> I've always thought this was the case...unless maybe USB 2.0 can support
> "overloading" a port.
>
> William

From what I understand, USB 1.1 isn't suppose to provide a sustained
500mA current, rather it just has to be capable of spikes of that
magnitude. If you're really curious, check out
http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/ for the exact specs. I think USB
2.0 has the same half amp limit, but the average may be higher.

I noted that the Dell USB Drive utility was DOS only:
http://www.memorykeytools.com/

This utility works inside Windows.
I have used it on my Dell laptop.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html

"gg" <noway@hotmail.com> wrote in message
|I noted that the Dell USB Drive utility was DOS only:
| http://www.memorykeytools.com/
|
| This utility works inside Windows.
| I have used it on my Dell laptop.
|
| http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html

Not sure where you "noted" that.

Site clearly states "This site contains Windows 98 drivers and installation
instructions for the Dell USB Memory Key."

http://www.memorykeytools.com

I have that USB drive and have used the drivers there with Windows 98.

--
Doug

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Do a google search for "DiskOnKey_Win98_Driver_Installer.exe". It
works on my old Win98SE Dell using the Dell Key.

OS