Slow windows xp startup

August 8, 2005 1:29:01 PM

When I retstart my computer it is very slow, when its loading it will go to
my desktop and just sit there at my desktop screen for like 10 minutes. Its a
brand new computer and i have tried everything, scanned for viruses, spam,
adware all of that, did a disk clean up, check, i defraged, and nothing seems
to be working.. can anyone help... PLEASE

More about : slow windows startup

August 8, 2005 6:10:21 PM

Who did you buy the computer from?If it's brand new, you should try the
manufactures Tec support. A slow start up can be many different things and
can take a lot of troubleshooting. If you would like to try troubleshooting
see these links.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q270035/
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_conflicts.htm
You can look here under "boot" and "startup"

"LisaCLD" <LisaCLD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I retstart my computer it is very slow, when its loading it will go
> my desktop and just sit there at my desktop screen for like 10 minutes.
> Its a
> brand new computer and i have tried everything, scanned for viruses, spam,
> adware all of that, did a disk clean up, check, i defraged, and nothing
> seems
> to be working.. can anyone help... PLEASE
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 6:10:22 PM

I bought it from Dell, i have tried their online tech support and nothing
there helps, i will try what you suggested, and i guess if i cant figure it
out i will have to call Dell.. Thanks for your advice, its appreciated :)

"Jim" wrote:

> Who did you buy the computer from?If it's brand new, you should try the
> manufactures Tec support. A slow start up can be many different things and
> can take a lot of troubleshooting. If you would like to try troubleshooting
> see these links.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q270035/
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_conflicts.htm
> You can look here under "boot" and "startup"
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
>
> "LisaCLD" <LisaCLD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I retstart my computer it is very slow, when its loading it will go
> > my desktop and just sit there at my desktop screen for like 10 minutes.
> > Its a
> > brand new computer and i have tried everything, scanned for viruses, spam,
> > adware all of that, did a disk clean up, check, i defraged, and nothing
> > seems
> > to be working.. can anyone help... PLEASE

Related resources
August 8, 2005 6:57:22 PM

The more I think about it, you might be better off dealing with it yourself
;-)

>I bought it from Dell, i have tried their online tech support and nothing
> there helps, i will try what you suggested, and i guess if i cant figure
> it
> out i will have to call Dell.. Thanks for your advice, its appreciated :)
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>
>> Who did you buy the computer from?If it's brand new, you should try the
>> manufactures Tec support. A slow start up can be many different things
>> and
>> can take a lot of troubleshooting. If you would like to try
>> troubleshooting
>> see these links.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q270035/
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_conflicts.htm
>> You can look here under "boot" and "startup"
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
>>
>> "LisaCLD" <LisaCLD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I retstart my computer it is very slow, when its loading it will
>> > go
>> > my desktop and just sit there at my desktop screen for like 10 minutes.
>> > Its a
>> > brand new computer and i have tried everything, scanned for viruses,
>> > spam,
>> > adware all of that, did a disk clean up, check, i defraged, and nothing
>> > seems
>> > to be working.. can anyone help... PLEASE

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 6:57:23 PM

Not too sure about that, i am likely to mess it up even more

"Jim" wrote:

> The more I think about it, you might be better off dealing with it yourself
> ;-)
>
> "LisaCLD" <LisaCLD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I bought it from Dell, i have tried their online tech support and nothing
> > there helps, i will try what you suggested, and i guess if i cant figure
> > it
> > out i will have to call Dell.. Thanks for your advice, its appreciated :)
> >
> > "Jim" wrote:
> >
> >> Who did you buy the computer from?If it's brand new, you should try the
> >> manufactures Tec support. A slow start up can be many different things
> >> and
> >> can take a lot of troubleshooting. If you would like to try
> >> troubleshooting
> >> see these links.
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q270035/
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_conflicts.htm
> >> You can look here under "boot" and "startup"
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
> >>
> >> "LisaCLD" <LisaCLD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

August 8, 2005 7:56:57 PM

A little more advice; create a restore point and back up your data before
you trouble shoot. The fixes for your problem should not create more
problems, (as in the cures worse than the disease) but it's always good back
yourself up just in case.

> Not too sure about that, i am likely to mess it up even more
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>
>> The more I think about it, you might be better off dealing with it
>> yourself
>> ;-)
>>
>> "LisaCLD" <LisaCLD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I bought it from Dell, i have tried their online tech support and
>> >nothing
>> > there helps, i will try what you suggested, and i guess if i cant
>> > figure
>> > it
>> > out i will have to call Dell.. Thanks for your advice, its appreciated
>> > :)

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:36:42 AM

Start your computer slowly usually cause by too many startup program.If
you computer will aautomatically run too many programes when you
cpmputer start,the programs will take up too much resource,so your
computer startup slow.
If you want to boost up computer speed,try to delete the startup
program that you not need every time your computer start.If you don't
know how to manage your startup programs,go to
http://securityexpert.cnns.net/AutoRun02.htm to know more.
August 9, 2005 7:58:30 PM

my advise is to create a system restore point before anything else (ease the mind a bit), then go
start menu/run then type: msconfig
follow the instructions below and this will give you the answers to what may be causing your slow
bootup sequence as it will only allow the most fundamental microsoft programs to load at bootup. if
the clean boot corrects the slow bootup, then i would slowly introduce your programs back into the
bootup sequence one at a time and note any differences- its a process of elimination...
good luck and enjoy!
Paul

here is a copy of the Microsoft KB article for a clean boot in winxp:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 310353

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
Applies To
INTRODUCTION
To help troubleshoot error messages or other issues when you cannot determine the cause
of the issue, disable common startup programs, settings, and drivers to eliminate possible software
conflicts when you start Microsoft Windows XP. This procedure is known as "clean booting." This
article describes how to perform a clean boot, how to start the Windows Installer service, and how
to restore your system from a clean boot state.

Note After you follow the instructions for a clean boot, you may temporarily lose some
functionality. If you restore the settings, you restore the functionality, but you may receive the
original error message or experience the problematic behavior.
MORE INFORMATION
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for information about your specific issue before you
follow these steps. This information is not intended to troubleshoot specific issues. If you are
receiving a specific error message or behavior, search the Microsoft Knowledge Base by using the
text of the error message and a description of the issue or behavior. To search the Microsoft
Knowledge Base, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
Note You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group
to follow these steps. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also
prevent you from follow these steps.
1.. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
2.. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the Process System.ini
File, Process WIn.ini File, and Load Startup Items check boxes. You cannot clear the Use Original
Boot.ini check box.
3.. On the Services tab, select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then
click Disable All.
4.. Click OK, and then click Restart to restart your computer.
5.. After Windows starts, determine whether the symptoms still occur.

Note Look closely at the General tab to make sure that the check boxes that you
cleared are still cleared. Continue to step 6 if none of the check boxes are selected. If the Load
System Services check box is the only disabled check box, your computer is not clean-booted. If
additional check boxes are disabled and the issue is not resolved, you may require help from the
manufacturer of the program that places a check mark back in Msconfig.

If none of the check boxes are selected, and the issue is not resolved, you may have
to repeat steps 1 through 5, but you may also have to clear the Load System Services check box on
the General tab. This temporarily disables Microsoft services (such as, Networking, Plug and Play,
Event Logging, and Error Reporting) and permanently deletes all restore points for the System
Restore utility. Do not do this if you want to retain your restore points for System Restore or if
you must use a Microsoft service to test the issue.
6.. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
7.. On the General tab, select the Process System.ini File check box, click OK, and
then click Restart to restart the computer. If the issue continues, the issue is with an entry in
your System.ini file. If the issue does not continue, repeat this step for the Process Win.ini File,
Load Startup Items, and Load System Services check boxes until the issue occurs. After the issue
occurs, the last item that you selected is the item where the issue is occurring.

Note Microsoft strongly recommends that you do not use System Configuration Utility to
modify the Boot.ini file on your computer without the direction of a Microsoft support engineer.
Doing so may make your computer unusable.
How to start the Windows Installer service
Note The Windows Installer service does not start if you disable Load System Services.
To use Windows Installer in this case, you must start the service manually:
1.. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
2.. In the left pane, click Services and Applications, and then click Services.
3.. In the right pane, right-click Windows Installer, and then click Start.
If you run a Setup program without manually starting the Windows Installer, you may
receive the following error message:

The Windows Installer service could not be accessed. Contact your support personnel to
verify that the windows Installer service is properly registered.
How to return from a clean boot state
1.. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
2.. On the General tab, click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services.
3.. Click OK, and then click Restart when you are prompted to restart your computer.