When I try to open a folder from My Computer, I get the File and Folders
search utility start up! If I right click and then click open, I get to see
the folder contents. Also I am unable to start any programs via Start, All
Progams ect. All the final links are empty.

Explorer works fine

This pc was heavily infected with adware but not ant viruses.

Any veiws on how to fix these issue much appreciated

Byte

Why are you using My Computer to open files/folders?
Use Windows Explorer.
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"10citadel" <10citadel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to open a folder from My Computer, I get the File and Folders
> search utility start up! If I right click and then click open, I get to
> see
> the folder contents. Also I am unable to start any programs via Start,
> All
> Progams ect. All the final links are empty.
>
> Explorer works fine
>
> This pc was heavily infected with adware but not ant viruses.
>
> Any veiws on how to fix these issue much appreciated

Type the following in the Run Dialog box:

cmd /k REG ADD "HKCR\Drive\Shell" /ve /d none
and
cmd /k REG ADD "HKCR\Directory\Shell" /ve /d none

--
William

This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
feature for folders. (example)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Resolution:

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
(Tip from David Candy)

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

-or-

To fix this manually via registry: