Can't see files in Documents and Settings using DIR command

I'm presently using Recovery Console (can't boot Windows XP SP2--a whole
other problem) and when I type dir c:\Documents and Settings I get a
parameter error message. dir c:\windows and dir c:recycled lets me see the
folder contents. dir c:\Documents, and dir c:\doc*, and dir
c:\Documents_and_Settings didn't get me anywhere. I remember in the old
versions of dos, a folder/file could only have 8 characters. What am I
missing?

Hans W

Quotation marks? ... as in:

dir "c:\documents and settings"