Sounds are all distorted after a re-install...

I had a hard drive go bad, so I bought a new hard drive and installed
Windows XP - no other hardware changes. From that point on, every
sound I listen to is distorted (scratches and pops). Here's the funny
thing - it's dependant upon CPU usage apparantly. If I'm logged in and
just listening to a song or watching a video (over the network or on a
hard drive), there are only minor pops and scratches present. But as
soon as I start to do something, or other programs are running in the
background, it become unbearable. The more the CPU is working, the
more the audio is distorted, and even begins to slow down.

It's especially apparent during login when it plays the windows startup
sound.

I have disabled the onboard sound card (through the BIOS) and installed
a SB Live PCI card I had that I knew worked fine. Same problem.

I have updated the drivers for both cards, and re-installed Windows XP
multiple times. I have even disabled hardware acceleration through
Windows, but nothing I do makes any difference.

I'm running Direct X 9.0c. I used a standard Windows XP install disc,
and even borrowed a disc that had SP1 pre-installed. Both have the
same issue, and I have used both of these discs to install fine in the
past.

I have applied SP2 with no change.

Has anyone seen this type of problem before?

Jim

Go to this site and look at the "sounds" section.
Look here as well.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307918

Good luck