4xAGP card in 2xAGP Compaq

jp1114

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2001
My son in law, a gamer, has a Compaq Presario 5660 (Pentium II at 450 MHz with 128MHZ of RAM) with a 2xAGP Card. (133 MHz Accelerated Graphics Port- ATI Motion Compensation Hardware ATI 3D Rage LT Pro Graphics
64-bit Hardware Accelerated 3D Graphics)

He want to upgrage his video card/gaming. He has alredy ordered an additional 128MHZ of RAM.

If he buys CARDEXPERT GeForce2 MX64 (AGP)video card, will he notice an substantial improvement or is it a waste of money since the card is a 4XAGP but his computer is limited to 2xAGP?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Pat

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
make sure that hte board it agp 2.0 compliant i'm gusseing it is not that mean that it might have a hard time supplyting the power to the card and the systme may become a little more unstable

there is only a small diffecne between the 2x and the 4x setting

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

jp1114

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2001
Thanks for the information. What's an "hte" board (AGP 2.0 compliant)? The board has an 2xAGP slot and has a 2xAGP card. Are you talking about the board possibly not having sufficient power to handle the increased power demand?

Thanks,

Pat

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i can't rember exactly what the changes of 1 to 2 but i do rember that they increased the amount of power that the card could pull

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The GeForce 2 MX will work fine on your motherboard at AGP2x. In fact there is very little difference in performance between 2x and 4x on current video cards.

Video killed my Radio Card!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Uh, let me clarify my last response...

The GeForce 2 MX will work fine on your motherboard at AGP2x. In fact there is very little difference in performance between 2x and 4x on current video cards.

Power problems mainly affect Socket 7 platforms, with TNT2 Ultra and GeForce 256 cards. Your platform has no known issues with the MX.

Video killed my Radio Card!

Xtian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the same Compaq and replased the outdated Rage
card with an GeForce2Mx400, and the improvement was
enormous. 3Dmark2000 went straight from 1500 to 3500 and
games like SeriousSam and Tribes2 runs really well.
I have not seen any instability or compatibility
problems between Compaq and the Geforce card.
/Christian

If it ain't broken, you havn't tweaked it enough.

jp1114

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2001
Thanks, Christian, for the info. We are going to replace the old card with the GeForce2 MX200 --we just ordered it ($54.00 from NewEgg)--and hope that the games will run much more smoothly. (I saw that the MX400 was about $25.00 more... but did not know how his system would handle that... plus we are on a limited budget. I now wish that we had ordered the MX400.

Have a wonderful day.

Pat

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMFG! Send it back unopened, take the 15% restocking fee or whatever they ask as a leason learned, and get the MX400! The MX200 is an incredibly poor performer, about half as good as the MX400! Better yet, get the Radeon LE from the same company, it beets them both and cost less than $70! And newegg sells it! You'll need to add three lines to the registry to enable Hyper Z with the LE, but it's really easy to do and I'll give you the lines if you ask-I don't have them in front of me right now.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

jp1114

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2001
Thanks Crashman, I wish I had known this before I ordered the 200. I appreciate the information and offer for help... but the 200 is on its way and I need to install the video driver this weekend. (My son in law is driving up --about 5 1/2 hour drive-- to get it installed this weekend.)

I just read the Anandtech review... : (

I'm dumb when it comes to video cards. What's Hyper Z?

I'll leave the MX200 unopened, let him read your comments and the Anantech review and let him decide.

Thanks again.

Pat

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
here is all the regester stuff (can't speel :smile: )

<A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/radeon/reg/index.shtml" target="_new">http://www.rage3d.com/radeon/reg/index.shtml</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hyper-Z is a technology ATI uses to make the card work more efficiently. It effectively reduces the amount of work the card has to do by telling the chip that it doesn't have to render parts of background objects that are hidden behind forground objects.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!