Missing cp_437.nls Windows could not start

XP SP2 will not start up and gives me a black screen message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\system32\cp_437.nls

I have attempted the repair using the Setup CD - NO HELP

Is this file the same as the c_437.nl_ on the XP CD? If it is the same
codepage file. Can I extract the file c_437.nls and then rename it to
cp_437.nls?

Will I need to edit my register?

Any help will be appreciated....

Background info: this system was ME then upgraded to XP. I started having
some of these strange problems after updating Norton Internet Security. I
wonder if this was caused by Norton or if my Hard Drive is just going bad...

--
Ahhhhh,
C. R.

    You can't find it on the WinXP CD because it came over from your WinME.
    Look for it on your WinME CD, in Win_19.cab

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272639

    "Cheryl Roberts" <CherylRoberts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > XP SP2 will not start up and gives me a black screen message:
    >
    > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    > \WINDOWS\system32\cp_437.nls
    >
    > I have attempted the repair using the Setup CD - NO HELP
    >
    > Is this file the same as the c_437.nl_ on the XP CD? If it is the same
    > codepage file. Can I extract the file c_437.nls and then rename it to
    > cp_437.nls?
    >
    > Will I need to edit my register?
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated....
    >
    > Background info: this system was ME then upgraded to XP. I started having
    > some of these strange problems after updating Norton Internet Security. I
    > wonder if this was caused by Norton or if my Hard Drive is just going
    > bad...
    >
    > --
    > Ahhhhh,
    > C. R.

    Or to put it another way,
    problems caused by doing an update rather than clean install of the o/s

    "Head Hunter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > You can't find it on the WinXP CD because it came over from your WinME.
    > Look for it on your WinME CD, in Win_19.cab
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272639
    >
    > "Cheryl Roberts" <CherylRoberts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > > XP SP2 will not start up and gives me a black screen message:
    > >
    > > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    corrupt:
    > > \WINDOWS\system32\cp_437.nls
    > >
    > > I have attempted the repair using the Setup CD - NO HELP
    > >
    > > Is this file the same as the c_437.nl_ on the XP CD? If it is the same
    > > codepage file. Can I extract the file c_437.nls and then rename it to
    > > cp_437.nls?
    > >
    > > Will I need to edit my register?
    > >
    > > Any help will be appreciated....
    > >
    > > Background info: this system was ME then upgraded to XP. I started
    having
    > > some of these strange problems after updating Norton Internet Security.
    > > wonder if this was caused by Norton or if my Hard Drive is just going
    > > bad...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ahhhhh,
    > > C. R.

    PS re hd, you could allways visit the hd manu web site and download their
    disk checking utility

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > Or to put it another way,
    > problems caused by doing an update rather than clean install of the o/s
    >
    > "Head Hunter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > You can't find it on the WinXP CD because it came over from your WinME.
    > > Look for it on your WinME CD, in Win_19.cab

    > > "Cheryl Roberts" <CherylRoberts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > > > XP SP2 will not start up and gives me a black screen message:
    > > >
    > > > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    > corrupt:
    > > > \WINDOWS\system32\cp_437.nls
    > > >
    > > > I have attempted the repair using the Setup CD - NO HELP
    > > >
    > > > Is this file the same as the c_437.nl_ on the XP CD? If it is the same
    > > > codepage file. Can I extract the file c_437.nls and then rename it to
    > > > cp_437.nls?
    > > >
    > > > Will I need to edit my register?
    > > >
    > > > Any help will be appreciated....
    > > >
    > > > Background info: this system was ME then upgraded to XP. I started
    > having
    > > > some of these strange problems after updating Norton Internet
    Security.
    > > > wonder if this was caused by Norton or if my Hard Drive is just going
    > > > bad...
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Ahhhhh,
    > > > C. R.

    Whooo-hooo!

    I found a process at :
    that worked for me. I was a little worried about the disclaimer that the
    process should not be used on machines that were installed from an OEM copy
    of the software - although I had the old ME CD's - I had purchased the XP
    upgrade. I had no problems using the process except at the end when I was
    supposed to restore from an older system backup - none existed.

    Now I am off to figure out what caused this to happen in the first place.
    Thanks for all the help.

    --
    Ahhhhh,
    C. R.

    "DL" wrote:

    > PS re hd, you could allways visit the hd manu web site and download their
    > disk checking utility
    >
    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > > Or to put it another way,
    > > problems caused by doing an update rather than clean install of the o/s
    > >
    > > "Head Hunter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > You can't find it on the WinXP CD because it came over from your WinME.
    > > > Look for it on your WinME CD, in Win_19.cab
    > > >
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272639
    > > >
    > > > "Cheryl Roberts" <CherylRoberts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > message

    > > corrupt: