Missing cp_437.nls Windows could not start

XP SP2 will not start up and gives me a black screen message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\system32\cp_437.nls

I have attempted the repair using the Setup CD - NO HELP

Is this file the same as the c_437.nl_ on the XP CD? If it is the same
codepage file. Can I extract the file c_437.nls and then rename it to
cp_437.nls?

Will I need to edit my register?

Any help will be appreciated....

Background info: this system was ME then upgraded to XP. I started having
some of these strange problems after updating Norton Internet Security. I
wonder if this was caused by Norton or if my Hard Drive is just going bad...

--
Ahhhhh,
C. R.

You can't find it on the WinXP CD because it came over from your WinME.
Look for it on your WinME CD, in Win_19.cab

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272639

"Cheryl Roberts" <CherylRoberts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> XP SP2 will not start up and gives me a black screen message:
>
> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
> \WINDOWS\system32\cp_437.nls
>
> I have attempted the repair using the Setup CD - NO HELP
>
> Is this file the same as the c_437.nl_ on the XP CD? If it is the same
> codepage file. Can I extract the file c_437.nls and then rename it to
> cp_437.nls?
>
> Will I need to edit my register?
>
> Any help will be appreciated....
>
> Background info: this system was ME then upgraded to XP. I started having
> some of these strange problems after updating Norton Internet Security. I
> wonder if this was caused by Norton or if my Hard Drive is just going
> bad...
>
> --
> Ahhhhh,
> C. R.

dl

Or to put it another way,
problems caused by doing an update rather than clean install of the o/s

"Head Hunter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> You can't find it on the WinXP CD because it came over from your WinME.
> Look for it on your WinME CD, in Win_19.cab
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272639
>
> "Cheryl Roberts" <CherylRoberts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > XP SP2 will not start up and gives me a black screen message:
> >
> > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt:
> > \WINDOWS\system32\cp_437.nls
> >
> > I have attempted the repair using the Setup CD - NO HELP
> >
> > Is this file the same as the c_437.nl_ on the XP CD? If it is the same
> > codepage file. Can I extract the file c_437.nls and then rename it to
> > cp_437.nls?
> >
> > Will I need to edit my register?
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated....
> >
> > Background info: this system was ME then upgraded to XP. I started
having
> > some of these strange problems after updating Norton Internet Security.
> > wonder if this was caused by Norton or if my Hard Drive is just going
> > bad...
> >
> > --
> > Ahhhhh,
> > C. R.

dl

PS re hd, you could allways visit the hd manu web site and download their
disk checking utility

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> Or to put it another way,
> problems caused by doing an update rather than clean install of the o/s
>
> "Head Hunter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > You can't find it on the WinXP CD because it came over from your WinME.
> > Look for it on your WinME CD, in Win_19.cab

> > "Cheryl Roberts" <CherylRoberts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > > XP SP2 will not start up and gives me a black screen message:
> > >
> > > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt:
> > > \WINDOWS\system32\cp_437.nls
> > >
> > > I have attempted the repair using the Setup CD - NO HELP
> > >
> > > Is this file the same as the c_437.nl_ on the XP CD? If it is the same
> > > codepage file. Can I extract the file c_437.nls and then rename it to
> > > cp_437.nls?
> > >
> > > Will I need to edit my register?
> > >
> > > Any help will be appreciated....
> > >
> > > Background info: this system was ME then upgraded to XP. I started
> having
> > > some of these strange problems after updating Norton Internet
Security.
> > > wonder if this was caused by Norton or if my Hard Drive is just going
> > > bad...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ahhhhh,
> > > C. R.

Whooo-hooo!

I found a process at :
that worked for me. I was a little worried about the disclaimer that the
process should not be used on machines that were installed from an OEM copy
of the software - although I had the old ME CD's - I had purchased the XP
upgrade. I had no problems using the process except at the end when I was
supposed to restore from an older system backup - none existed.

Now I am off to figure out what caused this to happen in the first place.
Thanks for all the help.

--
Ahhhhh,
C. R.