1. What is your budget? ~800 Dollars, however I am a little flexible.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6" It would take a lot to convince me otherwise
3. What screen resolution do you want? 1366 x 768 or higher
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? It'll be in my backpack so weight isn't really an issue, lighter than my desktop?
5. How much battery life do you need? 3 Hours+
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Maybe some Counter Strike: Source
Not anything very graphically intensive, I mean a dedicated card would be a plus but It is not needed, nor is it something I really think I can expect in the price range. But it'd be a bonus for sure.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500GB is good could go lower for 7200RPM drive. An SSD would be amazing for a boot drive, but really can't expect that from a laptop in this price range.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Newegg, manufacturer site, pretty much any reputable site.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4 Years AT LEAST, It needs to get me through college.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD, Write capabilities are preferred.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I've got no prejudice, but it needs to be a reputable company, as this is a graduation gift I am picking out and the person making the purchase may have preferences in which case I will have to backup the company with a decent track record.
13. What country do you live in?
United States of America
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Purchase will be made mid may, as its for graduation. And...Thats all I can really think of for now, we've been looking at the Inspiron 15R, Lenovo Ideapads, Some random asus models and I really just don't know when it comes to laptops. If anyone needs more information just let me know ill try to be as forthcoming with information as possible.
EDIT: Windows 7 is preferred, however I can live with Windows 8, minor thing.
While the specs are pretty nice, and for once and alienware product is almost reasonably priced, the questionable battery life and the fact that its 14" is quite the drawback, still it is something to consider and look into. Thanks!