Moving video card from Dell 4100 to another PC

I want to move the Nvidia video card from my old Dell 4100 to another
PC. (Long story.)

I'm assuming this is possible. What I mean is, I know that the Windows
OS is tied to the Dell machine, but the video card isn't tied to a
Dell machine, correct?

Assuming this can be done, where would be the best place to get the
driver files? From Dell, under the Dimension 4100? Or from Nvidia?

Bob Pownall

You should be good to go, Bob. Finding a driver should be a snap: If the
other PC is running a Windows OS of the same vintage as the video card (or
later), Windows will automatically detect the card at bootup and install a
driver. If you want to update that driver to a newer version of same, just
visit the video card manufacturer's web site.

You are correct: The video card is not tied to the computer into which it
was originally installed. What's true is that Dell, like virtually every
other major OEM, uses an OEM version of the card in its computers. But you
should have no problem in using the driver Windows installs or one that you
get from the manufacturer. That's not usually where the difference between
an OEM card and a retail card lies.

Ted Zieglar

"Bob Pownall" <repownall@netscape.net> wrote in message
>I want to move the Nvidia video card from my old Dell 4100 to another PC.
>(Long story.)
>
> I'm assuming this is possible. What I mean is, I know that the Windows OS
> is tied to the Dell machine, but the video card isn't tied to a Dell
> machine, correct?
>
> Assuming this can be done, where would be the best place to get the driver
> files? From Dell, under the Dimension 4100? Or from Nvidia?
>
> Bob Pownall

Ted Zieglar wrote:

Thanks, Ted! I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Bob Pownall

> Ted Zieglar wrote:
>
> Thanks, Ted! I'll give it a try tomorrow.
>
> Bob Pownall

Bob,

One additional comment. Your nVidia card is an AGP card. It will NOT move
to a current model machine like the 8400, which are PCIe.

Tom

Assuming that the nVidia card is an AGP card, it may or may not move to another
computer freely and easily. The AGP spec changed during the evolution from P3
to P4 systems. The original AGP cards operate at 3.3v and have single notches
in their edge connectors. Newer AGP cards have TWO notches and operate at a
lower voltage. Some of the newer AGP cards are dual voltage, meaning that
they'll operate OK in both old and new AGP slots.

The nVidia and other graphics cards shipped by Dell with its systems are
generic. They can be installed on non-Dell systems. The latest drivers for
your favorite operating system are available at www.nvidia.com

.... Ben Myers