Radeon 8500 benchmarks

G

how about this for an idea: since nvidia has had so much time to refine their GF3 and ATI comparitively little, why not benchmark the Radeon 8500 against the GF3 with it's initial release drivers. that would give us readers a better idea of what to expect from ATI once they have had time to develop them properly.

all in all though, i'm really very excited about ATI's new flagship. looks like a mean piece of hardware - just like to see how its FSAA looks...

G

Tom (or whoever wrote the preview) has quite strange sense of humor:

"...neither Dronez, nor Vulpine's GLMark would actually allow that. Obviously both games were not programmed for DirectX 8, but for GeForce3 only."

OF COURSE they are, because they are using OpenGL and therefore proprietary extensions to OpenGL (to make shaders). And these extensions tend to be incompatible :) It's games fault they are using only NVidia's extensions, but SOMEBODY wrote quite cleverly that Vulpine's GLMark is not programmed for DirectX 8. He is 101% right! LOL.

"AquaNox as well as 3DMark2001 are well able to recognize the DirectX8-features of Radeon 8500".

No wonder, because I imagine readme.txt of these states quite clearly that these are DX8-stuff.

Makes me think that either these mistakes were maken intentionally or Tom's office run out of coffee (or whatever drugs they are using) :)

G

I don't think it would be fair at all to compare geforce 3 with it's original drivers because ATI is known for making SH*T drivers and that's their weak point... they don't put any time into it and they never really perfect them to make the most of them like Nvidia does

There are only 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Wait, you're agreeing with him and making fun of him because ot it? I'm missing something.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

Solstice

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2001
I agree Show me good Drivers from ATI and I may become interested. What I expect when this card is released is a whole lot of posts on here about [-peep-] drivers. I do hope they prove me wrong

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Acording to anadtech ATI driver departement have been improve.

Not sure
They have buy a compagnie for doing this some thing like that.

mpjesse

Splendid
You are right- ATI has CRAPPY driver support and driver stability. Hopefully they'll fix that. nVidia is the leader in driver stability in ANY semiconductor market with it's "one driver solution". Unfortunately, every time a new driver is released it noticably slows down older chips and games (as seen in the the new Detonator 4 drivers with Giants on a GeForce 3).

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
anadtech have dronez running with gf3 bumping and it runs perfectly... oh well... bad tom... evil tom... blame it on the cpu not the gpu... anadtech was kind enough to use an athlon mp instead of a p4...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

G

Tom and Anand are both bad :) Tom accuses VulpineGL of not using DX8, and Anand...

"anadtech have dronez running with gf3 bumping and it runs perfectly"

1) Dronez is OpenGL game
2) to use "gf3 bumping", it has to use NVidia's extensions to OpenGL
3) ATI's and NVidia's extensions are incompatible.

It probably runs, if Anand said so, but does the effect really works? If you know more, then let me know.