Windows XP upgrade

I purchased a Windows XP Pro upgrade a year and a half ago to put on my
desktop that has Windows XP home version.

I never installed it.

I just bought a Dell laptop with Windows XP home version and when I tried to
install the XP Pro upgrade it said the upgrade was older than the new version.

It says I can install the XP pro over the new home version, by booting to
the CD.

Three questions -

1)can the XP Pro get upgraded to the current features if I install it.
2) how do I boot to the CD
3) should I be doing this
thanks

Cliff

Clifford

The version of XP Pro is pre-SP2, and may even be pre-SP1 which is why it
reports as an older version than Home.. this website outlines the
differences between the Home and Pro versions..

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

You may find that you do not really need to 'upgrade' to Pro at all..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"cliffordjf" <cliffordjf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased a Windows XP Pro upgrade a year and a half ago to put on my
> desktop that has Windows XP home version.
>
> I never installed it.
>
> I just bought a Dell laptop with Windows XP home version and when I tried
> install the XP Pro upgrade it said the upgrade was older than the new
> version.
>
> It says I can install the XP pro over the new home version, by booting to
> the CD.
>
> Three questions -
>
> 1)can the XP Pro get upgraded to the current features if I install it.
> 2) how do I boot to the CD
> 3) should I be doing this
> thanks
>
> Cliff

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yes you can do it. You need to burn a cd with the os and "slipstream" the cd
with SP2. Take a look at this, http://tinyurl.com/97zrr

"cliffordjf" <cliffordjf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased a Windows XP Pro upgrade a year and a half ago to put on my
> desktop that has Windows XP home version.
>
> I never installed it.
>
> I just bought a Dell laptop with Windows XP home version and when I tried
> install the XP Pro upgrade it said the upgrade was older than the new
> version.
>
> It says I can install the XP pro over the new home version, by booting to
> the CD.
>
> Three questions -
>
> 1)can the XP Pro get upgraded to the current features if I install it.
> 2) how do I boot to the CD
> 3) should I be doing this
> thanks
>
> Cliff

I have the same problem.
If I upgrade using the CD instead of the autorun. Will it delete my
programs that I have installed?

Should I deinstall sp1-2 and then upgrade to professional and upgrade pro
with sp2?