win 2k refresh probs

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
hi all !
im having some probs with windows 98 and 2000 pro. on my duron setup, in 2000 the refresh rates are anything from 60 to 120 in some resoultions, but then on the thunderbird system i have, the refresh rates are only 75 or 85. the only difference with the two systems is that the duron has a mx card in and the tbird has a ultra in it. why is it doing this and is there anyway that it can be unlocked so to speak ? theres a little tick box about unlocking the refresh rates, but it does nothing, am i missing something ?
and the same is for 98 too, this time its on the duron system and not the tbird... they have both the same drivers install and everything else is near idential ! whats up with windows this time ?
if anyone can lend a hand and tell me what the hell is going on, i would love to know ! cheers for now, and thanks if anyone replies !
phill

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
there is a known issue in win2k with certain monitors (like mine), they send back incorrect info to windows, and so you are locked into certain refresh rates (usually dumb ones)

ther are a few ways to get around this.
1. nvrefreshfix(sp?) or nvmax (allow u to set the rates to what u want)
2. use something like powerstip to manually set the refresh rates.

My hamster really wants to give you a big kiss, you sexy hunk you!

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yeh win2k is mashed like that... for some reason it seemed to think for about an hour that my monitor could take 2048x1536x32@130hz... i dont have a clue what it was thinking i just run it at 1600x1200x32@75hz... anything over 72 is apparently fine... i like it dont need any more...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

phill21

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
its getting even worse now.
my ultra and my tbird are scoring 3150 on 3dmark 2000, how i dont know but when i load the benchmark alls fine and then when you start it, as you do, it limits its self too 60 or fps, then it might vary up and down across the range, what the hell is going on ???? i tried the programs that you mentioned and no such luck, nothing came up in the display properties. what is wrong with my systems ????? the duron system is werid too, cos its the same as the tbird, alls different is the cpu and the graphics cards, its an mx. all the drivers are the same and even the monitors are the same for crying out loud ! everythings the same but one machine does one thing and the other does something else !! please help me cos im going so crazy with this problem !! its the same with windows 2000 pro. the durons fine, screen res goes upto the max and refresh rate is whatever the monitor will handle. but the tbird system just dont want to know !! please please please can any one help me cos its really starting too P%$£ me right off !! anyone come forward with anything, as i will try anything ... sensible at least !!
cheers for everything people
phill

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
powerstrip doesnt DO anything to your refresh rates.
its an independent app that you set, choose the refresh rates that u want or fiddle to get optimal ones.

you said they both have the same monitor. what brand , model number are they? (and how old)

My hamster really wants to give you a big kiss, you sexy hunk you!

TRENDING THREADS