Where is pre-installed RAM on Alienware M17x R4

So I just purchased an Alienware M17x R4 with 6GB of pre-installed RAM because I did not see any point in paying extra for RAM that I could just install myself. I ended up purchasing 16GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM off of Amazon and when I went to install the 16GB of RAM I was unable to find where the 6GB of pre-installed RAM was located. It does not appear to be located in the same location where I was able to install the 16GB of RAM. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or if I am just not looking in the correct area. Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about where installed alienware m17x
  1. schwinn89 said:
    So I just purchased an Alienware M17x R4 with 6GB of pre-installed RAM because I did not see any point in paying extra for RAM that I could just install myself. I ended up purchasing 16GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM off of Amazon and when I went to install the 16GB of RAM I was unable to find where the 6GB of pre-installed RAM was located. It does not appear to be located in the same location where I was able to install the 16GB of RAM. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or if I am just not looking in the correct area. Thanks!



    From experience some laptops require you to remove the keyboard to gain access to the hidden stock RAM. I found this YouTube video by going to Google and typing M17x R4 ram install.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w62IuvqELh8 :pt1cable:
  2. cotydlux said:
    From experience some laptops require you to remove the keyboard to gain access to the hidden stock RAM. I found this YouTube video by going to Google and typing M17x R4 ram install.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w62IuvqELh8 :pt1cable:


    I actually just watched that same video last night. I did not know that the pre-installed RAM was under the keyboard though :/. That sounds slightly daunting...
  3. So it's a good thing that the pre-installed RAM is under the keyboard. If I add the 16gb under the bottom cover, then that should give me total of 24GB RAM...right?
  4. I would only mix the ram if they were from the same manufacture and same specs. speed, timing, voltage.
    Mixing different types may work (not to full potential) but if I had a nice machine like that, I'd go ahead and do it right.
  5. schwinn89 said:
    cotydlux said:
    From experience some laptops require you to remove the keyboard to gain access to the hidden stock RAM. I found this YouTube video by going to Google and typing M17x R4 ram install.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w62IuvqELh8 :pt1cable:


    I actually just watched that same video last night. I did not know that the pre-installed RAM was under the keyboard though :/. That sounds slightly daunting...

    Their is 2 slots in the back of the machine and 2 slots under the keyboard I was a bit worried myself at first about removing the keyboard but the manual gives you a step by step guide or their is plenty of Utube videos on doing this. It not as hard as you think
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Alienware Laptops