Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Use "REPAIR CONSOLE" on (OEM O.S.) Toshiba laptop?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 9, 2005 1:11:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

I`d like to (if at all possible) *REPAIR* a corrupt registry on my
daughter`s
Toshiba laptop, rather than an all out *RESTORE* using the provided Toshiba
"Restore" DVD containing its OEM XP Home.

She gets a BSOD everytime she trys to start up, sometime just after the XP
splashscreen.
Error message reads: Stop: c0000218 [Registry File Failure].
Cannot enter Safemode or use any type restore at this level.

Microsoft says to fix, use XP install disc to load "Windows Repair Console".
I /We only have OEM Toshiba Restore DVD disc, and not a stand alone Win XP
disc!

Would it be possible to use any/my XP install disc to load the "Windows
Repair Console" on her Toshiba laptop and then attempt a repair?
Any other thoughts or ideas as to how to fix without "slash and burn"
restore disc?

Thank`s in advance for any insight into this matter.

Matt
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 9, 2005 1:11:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Mattrixx" <Someone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I`d like to (if at all possible) *REPAIR* a corrupt registry on my
>daughter`s
>Toshiba laptop, rather than an all out *RESTORE* using the provided Toshiba
>"Restore" DVD containing its OEM XP Home.
>
>She gets a BSOD everytime she trys to start up, sometime just after the XP
>splashscreen.
>Error message reads: Stop: c0000218 [Registry File Failure].
>Cannot enter Safemode or use any type restore at this level.
>
>Microsoft says to fix, use XP install disc to load "Windows Repair Console".
>I /We only have OEM Toshiba Restore DVD disc, and not a stand alone Win XP
>disc!
>
>Would it be possible to use any/my XP install disc to load the "Windows
>Repair Console" on her Toshiba laptop and then attempt a repair?
>Any other thoughts or ideas as to how to fix without "slash and burn"
>restore disc?
>
>Thank`s in advance for any insight into this matter.
>
>Matt
>

I think that you are referring to the Windows XP Recovery Console.
(note the difference in name. Recovery Console and Repair Install are
two entirely different functions and the names are often confused.

Does your Toshiba have a 3.5 inch diskette drive?

If so then you can download the boot diskette images for your precise
version of Windows from http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=310994 and
use those to boot the laptop. That will put you into the Recovery
Console where you can run the prescribed commands.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 9, 2005 1:18:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

No, you have to use the manufacturer's method
to repair. You cannot use your own CD.

Visit the Toshiba Support web site and click on
"Search with Ask Iris".
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.j...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mattrixx" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I`d like to (if at all possible) *REPAIR* a corrupt registry on my
| daughter`s
| Toshiba laptop, rather than an all out *RESTORE* using the provided Toshiba
| "Restore" DVD containing its OEM XP Home.
|
| She gets a BSOD everytime she trys to start up, sometime just after the XP
| splashscreen.
| Error message reads: Stop: c0000218 [Registry File Failure].
| Cannot enter Safemode or use any type restore at this level.
|
| Microsoft says to fix, use XP install disc to load "Windows Repair Console".
| I /We only have OEM Toshiba Restore DVD disc, and not a stand alone Win XP
| disc!
|
| Would it be possible to use any/my XP install disc to load the "Windows
| Repair Console" on her Toshiba laptop and then attempt a repair?
| Any other thoughts or ideas as to how to fix without "slash and burn"
| restore disc?
|
| Thank`s in advance for any insight into this matter.
|
| Matt
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 9, 2005 3:49:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:kcagf113lnlfpi7npepsq025v1pq64bg79@4ax.com...
> "Mattrixx" <Someone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I`d like to (if at all possible) *REPAIR* a corrupt registry on my
>>daughter`s
>>Toshiba laptop, rather than an all out *RESTORE* using the provided
>>Toshiba
>>"Restore" DVD containing its OEM XP Home.
>>
>>She gets a BSOD everytime she trys to start up, sometime just after the XP
>>splashscreen.
>>Error message reads: Stop: c0000218 [Registry File Failure].
>>Cannot enter Safemode or use any type restore at this level.
>>
>>Microsoft says to fix, use XP install disc to load "Windows Repair
>>Console".
>>I /We only have OEM Toshiba Restore DVD disc, and not a stand alone Win XP
>>disc!
>>
>>Would it be possible to use any/my XP install disc to load the "Windows
>>Repair Console" on her Toshiba laptop and then attempt a repair?
>>Any other thoughts or ideas as to how to fix without "slash and burn"
>>restore disc?
>>
>>Thank`s in advance for any insight into this matter.
>>
>>Matt
>>
>
> I think that you are referring to the Windows XP Recovery Console.
> (note the difference in name. Recovery Console and Repair Install are
> two entirely different functions and the names are often confused.
>
> Does your Toshiba have a 3.5 inch diskette drive?
>
> If so then you can download the boot diskette images for your precise
> version of Windows from http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=310994 and
> use those to boot the laptop. That will put you into the Recovery
> Console where you can run the prescribed commands.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>
> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Thanks Ron for your kind response to my dilema.

Yes, you are entirely correct as to the proper title of "Windows Recovery
Console" rather than my misnamed "Repair Console".
Unfortunately this Toshiba laptop (Satellite A45) has NO floppy drive. I
suppose I could buy a portable floppy drive.
Your link to find "your precise version of Windows", would that include the
XP Home OEM version I`m forced to deal with, that came pre-installed on this
laptop?
Thanks

Matt
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 9, 2005 3:58:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Mattrixx" <Someone@nowhere.com> wrote:


>
>Thanks Ron for your kind response to my dilema.
>
>Yes, you are entirely correct as to the proper title of "Windows Recovery
>Console" rather than my misnamed "Repair Console".
>Unfortunately this Toshiba laptop (Satellite A45) has NO floppy drive. I
>suppose I could buy a portable floppy drive.
>Your link to find "your precise version of Windows", would that include the
>XP Home OEM version I`m forced to deal with, that came pre-installed on this
>laptop?
>Thanks
>
>Matt
>

Yes. There are 6 different sets of boot disks for XP, consisting of
separate Home and Pro versions for:
- Windows XP original release
- Windows XP with Service Pack 1 installed
- Windows XP with Service Pack 2 installed.

So for your Toshiba, if it had a 3.5 diskette drive, you would use the
XP Home diskettes for whichever Service Pack level you had upgraded
to.

But without the 3.5 diskette drive you are in a bit of a quandry.

Does your working computer have a CD Burner? If so then you can
create a bootable CD on it using Bart's PE Builder from
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

You can then boot the Toshiba with this CD, open a command prompt
window, and carry out the steps described in the KB article.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
!