So whats the best I can do with AGP 1x...

crisco

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First of all thanks for any replies I get. Ive recently gotten my hands on a p3 450, 128 sdram for almost nothing, with an AGP 1x on the mainboard. So from what I understand the new hot cards are geared up to take advantage of AGP 2x/4x, so where does that leave me? I dont want to purchase some screaming card that doesnt perform to its potential. Id much rather find something low end that is going to work well with this system. Right now Ive got 100ish bucks and would like to put the best card I can in this machine.

So fill me in folks and thanks again.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I do beleive that any AGP card will work, but you might want to stick with an ATI Expert Pro or other card that is older than 2 years old. The good part is that you will only spend $50 or so, A Geforce 2 MX or Radeon VE is as high as I would go when only running at 1X AGP.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't believe that any motherboard that supports that processor will be limmited to 1x. Most were limmited to 2x. 2x is only a minor limmitation with current cards and makes less than a 7% difference in performance campared to 4x. I recommend the Radeon LE for your budget, it's under $70 at newegg.com. The LE has the full version Radeon chip and 32MB of DDR memory.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!