Taskbar and Start Menu option wont appear

August 9, 2005 12:30:02 AM

I let my little brother on the computer, came back the next day, and the
taskbar at the bottom was missing completely, not just minimized and scooched
down to the bottom. It's gone. I figured a nice trip to the Taskbar and
Start Menu would do the trick, but it wont appear. I've tried creating
shortcuts, typing in the actual location myself, and clicking a thousand
times, (as well as a few good reboots because I cant just log off). What do
I do? I want my taskbar back, but I also want all my menus to appear when I
beckon.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 6:41:59 PM

katersaurus wrote:
> I let my little brother on the computer, came back the next
> day, and the taskbar at the bottom was missing completely,
> not just minimized and scooched down to the bottom. It's
> gone. I figured a nice trip to the Taskbar and Start Menu
> would do the trick, but it wont appear. I've tried creating
> shortcuts, typing in the actual location myself, and
> clicking a thousand times, (as well as a few good reboots
> because I cant just log off). What do I do? I want my
> taskbar back, but I also want all my menus to appear when I
> beckon.

If I understand your problem correctly you're stuck with the
following situation:
Your computer boots into Windows but all you see is the
Desktop. There's is no Taskbar displayed and it hasn't been
hidden. If that's the case you might want to try the following:

Hit Crtl + Alt + Del to launch Task Manager.
In Task Manager, hit the File button on the toolbar and select
"New Task" from the drop down menu.
Enter Explorer.exe in the Open box of Create New Task.
Hit OK.
This should restore your Taskbar. You can now run System
Restore.

If that doesn't work you can try the following:
Follow the same procedure as outlined above except this time
you want to launch Internet Explorer. Enter iexplore.exe in the
Open box.
Go to this web site:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm

You can download and run the "Taskbar Repair Plus Tool" and see
if it fixes your problem.

Taskbar Repair Plus Tool

You can also try the script listed under "Taskbar is Missing"

Taskbar is Missing
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/xp_taskbar_d...

If you have a Windows XP installation CD, as opposed to a
recovery CD, you can try booting into "Safe Mode with Command
Prompt" to run System Restore. Take a look here for the
procedure.

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304449

Good luck

Nepatsfan
August 9, 2005 7:35:11 PM

have you tried to do a system restore?
e.g. in winxp: start menu/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore
this will get your desktop back the way it was when the last restore was created (more than likely
within the last few days)
cheers,
Paul

ps. you can always undo a system restore if you don't like the outcome

F27-8DC3-4C7632A08C2C@microsoft.com...
I let my little brother on the computer, came back the next day, and the
taskbar at the bottom was missing completely, not just minimized and scooched
down to the bottom. It's gone. I figured a nice trip to the Taskbar and
Start Menu would do the trick, but it wont appear. I've tried creating
shortcuts, typing in the actual location myself, and clicking a thousand
times, (as well as a few good reboots because I cant just log off). What do
I do? I want my taskbar back, but I also want all my menus to appear when I
beckon.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:35:12 PM

How would I access the System Restore function if I cant see the start menu?
Where is it?

!