Taskbar and Start Menu option wont appear

I let my little brother on the computer, came back the next day, and the
taskbar at the bottom was missing completely, not just minimized and scooched
down to the bottom. It's gone. I figured a nice trip to the Taskbar and
Start Menu would do the trick, but it wont appear. I've tried creating
shortcuts, typing in the actual location myself, and clicking a thousand
times, (as well as a few good reboots because I cant just log off). What do
I do? I want my taskbar back, but I also want all my menus to appear when I
beckon.
3 answers Last reply
More about taskbar start menu option wont appear

    katersaurus wrote:
    > I let my little brother on the computer, came back the next
    > day, and the taskbar at the bottom was missing completely,
    > not just minimized and scooched down to the bottom. It's
    > gone. I figured a nice trip to the Taskbar and Start Menu
    > would do the trick, but it wont appear. I've tried creating
    > shortcuts, typing in the actual location myself, and
    > clicking a thousand times, (as well as a few good reboots
    > because I cant just log off). What do I do? I want my
    > taskbar back, but I also want all my menus to appear when I
    > beckon.

    If I understand your problem correctly you're stuck with the
    following situation:
    Your computer boots into Windows but all you see is the
    Desktop. There's is no Taskbar displayed and it hasn't been
    hidden. If that's the case you might want to try the following:

    Hit Crtl + Alt + Del to launch Task Manager.
    In Task Manager, hit the File button on the toolbar and select
    "New Task" from the drop down menu.
    Enter Explorer.exe in the Open box of Create New Task.
    Hit OK.
    This should restore your Taskbar. You can now run System
    Restore.

    If that doesn't work you can try the following:
    Follow the same procedure as outlined above except this time
    you want to launch Internet Explorer. Enter iexplore.exe in the
    Open box.
    Go to this web site:

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm

    You can download and run the "Taskbar Repair Plus Tool" and see
    if it fixes your problem.

    Taskbar Repair Plus Tool

    You can also try the script listed under "Taskbar is Missing"

    Taskbar is Missing
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs

    If you have a Windows XP installation CD, as opposed to a
    recovery CD, you can try booting into "Safe Mode with Command
    Prompt" to run System Restore. Take a look here for the
    procedure.

    How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304449

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    have you tried to do a system restore?
    e.g. in winxp: start menu/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore
    this will get your desktop back the way it was when the last restore was created (more than likely
    within the last few days)
    cheers,
    Paul

    ps. you can always undo a system restore if you don't like the outcome

    F27-8DC3-4C7632A08C2C@microsoft.com...
    I let my little brother on the computer, came back the next day, and the
    taskbar at the bottom was missing completely, not just minimized and scooched
    down to the bottom. It's gone. I figured a nice trip to the Taskbar and
    Start Menu would do the trick, but it wont appear. I've tried creating
    shortcuts, typing in the actual location myself, and clicking a thousand
    times, (as well as a few good reboots because I cant just log off). What do
    I do? I want my taskbar back, but I also want all my menus to appear when I
    beckon.

    How would I access the System Restore function if I cant see the start menu?
    Where is it?

    "Paul" wrote:

    > have you tried to do a system restore?
    > e.g. in winxp: start menu/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore
    > this will get your desktop back the way it was when the last restore was created (more than likely
    > within the last few days)
    > cheers,
    > Paul
    >
    > ps. you can always undo a system restore if you don't like the outcome

Taskbar Start Menu Windows XP