XP unable to detect harddrive with S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad.

I have a 160 GB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD.
Drive gets detected properly on my asus p4c800 motheroboard, I get a
prompt to press F4 to continue resume booting. (Showing S.M.A.R.T.
Status bad)

But i am unable to locate (it wont get detected) on hardware device
manager.

Is there a solution for this problem ?

Drive is getting detected in Windows 2003, drive has 2 partitions 20 gb
and 140 gb with NTFS filesystem in both partitions.

Thanks.

--
dr.nil
dr.nil's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=4402

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 09:00:19 +0530, dr.nil wrote:

    > I have a 160 GB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD.
    > Drive gets detected properly on my asus p4c800 motheroboard, I get a
    > prompt to press F4 to continue resume booting. (Showing S.M.A.R.T.
    > Status bad)
    >
    > But i am unable to locate (it wont get detected) on hardware device
    > manager.
    >
    > Is there a solution for this problem ?
    >
    > Drive is getting detected in Windows 2003, drive has 2 partitions 20 gb
    > and 140 gb with NTFS filesystem in both partitions.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Most likely the drive is failing and needs to be replaced. SMART is rarely
    wrong and from your description, it sounds like you're getting that notice
    during POST (before Windows loads). Since you can get access to the drive
    via Win2000, grab what data you need off of it and transfer it to another
    location.

    Next, suggest going to the web page of the drive manufacturer and
    downloading their tools for checking drive health. Then contact the drive
    manufacturer with the results and for further assistance.

    If a drive was no longer under warranty on my system and I was getting
    SMART notices, I would simply replace the drive because, again, SMART
    notices are rarely wrong.

    FYI: I had a SMART notice for a Maxtor drive. Maxtor tech support had me
    reset the SMART bit on the drive. When the SMART error returned, they RMA'd
    the drive and replaced it under the terms of the warranty.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hard Drives Windows XP