Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is a touchscreen monitor essential

Last response: in Windows 8
September 11, 2012 1:48:57 AM

Hi,
I am about to build a desktop pc, and I found that a touchscreen monitor will probably weigh too much in my budget and force me to settle on some less powerful GPU or cpu, so my question is, is a touch screen monitor essential for windows 8 experience or a trackpad will suffice?
Thanks
a b * Windows 8
September 11, 2012 2:04:08 AM

The question you should be asking is whether Windows 8 is essential? What are you doing that you can't do in Windows 7? You don't need a touchscreen for Windows 8.
September 11, 2012 2:04:11 AM

No, it's not essential.
Related resources
a b C Monitor
a b * Windows 8
September 11, 2012 2:33:28 AM

No, it's not essential. Some aspects of the OS will take some getting used to, but Windows 8 will run fine without a touchscreen being present.
September 17, 2012 8:57:21 PM

Actually some Touch Screen gestures are not sufficient to use it right and a mouse works better. I find the OS runs cleaner and faster than 7 without starting a bunch of services unless they are being used by an application by starting that application.
September 18, 2012 7:34:42 AM

ahmeny said:
Hi,
I am about to build a desktop pc, and I found that a touchscreen monitor will probably weigh too much in my budget and force me to settle on some less powerful GPU or cpu, so my question is, is a touch screen monitor essential for windows 8 experience or a trackpad will suffice?
Thanks

Well, Windows 8 is specially developed for touch screen devices like tablet. Windows 8 has most of the features for touch devices. Start button has been replaced by a new feature which cannot be accessed by the devices like a mouse. You must be using a tablet device for it.
September 18, 2012 7:47:31 AM

johhny-marshal said:
Well, Windows 8 is specially developed for touch screen devices like tablet. Windows 8 has most of the features for touch devices. Start button has been replaced by a new feature which cannot be accessed by the devices like a mouse. You must be using a tablet device for it.

Please don't respond to peoples inquiries, if you have no idea what you are talking about. The windows 8 "start" interface can be accessed by a few different methods without the need for a touch screen. To access the screen simply hit the "windows key" on the keyboard or hover in the lower left corner, and click. There may be other methods, but at the moment those are the only two I know of.
September 18, 2012 7:54:25 AM

I'm not even going to go near 8, but hey and i wouldn't spend the extra cash on a touch screen monitor even if I were to.
September 18, 2012 8:07:02 AM

I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took a windows 8 hot corner to the knee :( 

Best solution

September 18, 2012 8:24:42 AM

I don't know about win8 touch features, but I really don't think a touchscreen monitor to be a good buy. It's still in the "toy" category. Like with many other things, bigger is not always better. Please take into account that phones and tablets are portable devices and additional input options (keyboard and mouse) are too bulky to consider. On a desktop monitor (20" or more) you would have it too far away to be able to touch it efficiently (the straighter your hand is, the less precision you have), and apart from specialy designed games/apps, using touchscreen only would hinder the "desktop" benefits.

I do have a 10" convertible tablet netbook (netbook with touchscreen where you can rotate and fold the screen over the KB and use it like a tablet) and alternating between touchscreen and touchpad in non-tablet mode is very hard. The KB+touchpad are already close together, with hands maybe resting on the desk. So moving my hand to point something on the screen involves too much effort for regular tasks. So touchscreen only in tablet mode.

PS: I'm tried to ignore that my screen is resistive and a slightly too hard touch (too fast toward the screen or simply too hard press) will roll it. But this may not be an issue with a big monitor.
September 18, 2012 9:42:55 AM

Best answer selected by ahmeny.
!