"Best" PC Card for Laptop

I know, I know - there are a million of them out there and everyone has an
opinion. But I need to find a good PC Card for my laptop that can access a
"weaker" signal and hold it. (Will probably move my router in near future).

Somebody suggested the ZyXEL ZyAIR B101 card that has a detachable antenna.
The good thing about it is that I can upgrade to an external desktop antenna
that will connect to the B101 card via a cable.

Thoughts - suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks-
8 answers Last reply
More about best card laptop

    Tom C. <tomcNO@spamfastnetit.com> wrote:
    > I know, I know - there are a million of them out there and everyone has an
    > opinion. But I need to find a good PC Card for my laptop that can access a
    > "weaker" signal and hold it. (Will probably move my router in near future).

    USB adaptors may be more flexible.
    You can inherently stick them anywhere near your computer that you want
    them.
    And you can get 5m cables nearly free, whereas antenna leads and antennas
    are much more expensive.

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:37:18 -0700, Ian Stirling wrote
    (in article <ykRqc.5062$wI4.605057@wards.force9.net>):

    > USB adaptors may be more flexible.
    > You can inherently stick them anywhere near your computer that you want
    > them.
    >
    > And you can get 5m cables nearly free, whereas antenna leads and antennas
    > are much more expensive.

    But if he's packing up and moving lots (it *is* for a laptop...), toting a
    USB device, no matter how small, can't compete -- size wise -- with even the
    largest PC card.

    Senao (also marketed under the Engenius label) makes a 200mW card that is
    becoming the standard against which all others are compared. Its receiver has
    great sensitivity, too.

    http://tinyurl.com/2qv26

    Do a web search and you'll find some pretty decent prices for it.

    Good luck,
    --
    DaveC
    me@privacy.net

    DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:37:18 -0700, Ian Stirling wrote
    > (in article <ykRqc.5062$wI4.605057@wards.force9.net>):
    >
    >> USB adaptors may be more flexible.
    >> You can inherently stick them anywhere near your computer that you want
    >> them.
    >>
    >> And you can get 5m cables nearly free, whereas antenna leads and antennas
    >> are much more expensive.
    >
    > But if he's packing up and moving lots (it *is* for a laptop...), toting a
    > USB device, no matter how small, can't compete -- size wise -- with even the
    > largest PC card.

    It can.
    For many PC cards, they cannot be put in a bag without removing the
    card, so you need to store the PC card.
    A package about the same size as a USB dongle.

    > Senao (also marketed under the Engenius label) makes a 200mW card that is
    > becoming the standard against which all others are compared. Its receiver has
    > great sensitivity, too.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2qv26
    >
    > Do a web search and you'll find some pretty decent prices for it.
    >
    > Good luck,

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 13:59:26 -0700, Ian Stirling wrote
    (in article <O_8rc.5349$wI4.642239@wards.force9.net>):

    > A package about the same size as a USB dongle.

    Oh, you must be speaking of those "thumblina" things, about the size of a BIC
    lighter. I was picturing a paperback-book size device, complete with power
    plug and USB cable...

    Yes, those USB wireless adapters like the D-Link and Zonet are very small.
    --

    Ian Stirling wrote:
    > DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:37:18 -0700, Ian Stirling wrote
    >> (in article <ykRqc.5062$wI4.605057@wards.force9.net>):
    >>
    >>> USB adaptors may be more flexible.
    >>> You can inherently stick them anywhere near your computer that you
    >>> want them.
    >>>
    >>> And you can get 5m cables nearly free, whereas antenna leads and
    >>> antennas are much more expensive.
    >>
    >> But if he's packing up and moving lots (it *is* for a laptop...),
    >> toting a USB device, no matter how small, can't compete -- size wise
    >> -- with even the largest PC card.
    >
    > It can.
    > For many PC cards, they cannot be put in a bag without removing the
    > card, so you need to store the PC card.
    > A package about the same size as a USB dongle.
    <snip>

    3Com do wireless PCMCIA cards with the "Xjack" antenna design that allows
    the antenna to be pressed in and latched into the laptop and then pressed to
    release again - a bit like a ballpoint pen. That way there is nothing that
    needs to be removed. I have the 11b version and that works (less well) even
    when the antenna is fully recessed.

    I did have an 11a/b/g version (3CRPAG175) that terminated the wireless
    connection when it was recessed. I had to return it as it was not compatible
    with my laptop. I've replaced it with a Netgear WG511 that seems to be
    working fine so far (only installed this afternoon). That protrudes
    permanently by just over 1".

    I would not wish to have a USB adapter on any of my laptops as the USB ports
    are on the rear and I can imagine knocking a dongle and breaking it off
    accidentally - out of site, out of mind. At least I can see the PCMCIA card
    sticking out before I pick the thing up or slide it around the desk.

    --
    Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.

    Thanks a lot Dave.
    That's exactly the response I was looking for.

    Have a good one,

    - Tom C.

    DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    > Yes, those USB wireless adapters like the D-Link and Zonet are very small.

    I bought a DLink DWL-122 tiny-usb, intending to stick in a coffee can as a
    directional antenna without the costs of replacing the external-jackless
    Linksys card, or the costs of the RF cabling that I would need for my
    Orinoco card, in addition to building the antenna anyway.

    It came with about a 2 meter cable. Being able to position it freely gave
    better results on NetStumbler than the Orinoco Silver card in my initial
    tests at home. Putting a 9" pie tin 1" behind the USB improved the signal
    by 5-6 dB. Putting the pie tin behind the Orinoco also helped the signal,
    but it's kind of hard to use the laptop that way ;-)

    I haven't gotten around to the coffee can yet. I need two to get the
    proper length.

    The DWL-122 is smaller than the external portion of the Orinoco, although
    it would stick out in an awkward fashion if it were attached without the
    cable. With the cable, it provides good signal and better positioning.

    --
    ---

    Tom according to the specs there are 3 cards you could look at that would do
    the job you need.

    1. Senao 2511 ext2 (200mw)
    2. zcomax 200 mw card same as the zyair and the smc
    3. zcomax 300 mw card

    The 300 mw card is by far the best but also exspensive. In my experience as
    a WISP I would use the 2511 but the smc 2532 is also very cheap and a very
    good card.

    I sell all these cards if your interested al@viperwireless.com

    "Tom C." <tomcNO@SPAMfastnetit.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks a lot Dave.
    > That's exactly the response I was looking for.
    >
    > Have a good one,
    >
    > - Tom C.
    >

    > "DaveC" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:37:18 -0700, Ian Stirling wrote
    > > (in article <ykRqc.5062$wI4.605057@wards.force9.net>):
    > >
    > > > USB adaptors may be more flexible.
    > > > You can inherently stick them anywhere near your computer that you
    want
    > > > them.
    > > >
    > > > And you can get 5m cables nearly free, whereas antenna leads and
    > antennas
    > > > are much more expensive.
    > >
    > > But if he's packing up and moving lots (it *is* for a laptop...), toting
    > > USB device, no matter how small, can't compete -- size wise -- with even
    > the
    > > largest PC card.
    > >
    > > Senao (also marketed under the Engenius label) makes a 200mW card that
    is
    > > becoming the standard against which all others are compared. Its
    receiver
    > has
    > > great sensitivity, too.
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/2qv26
    > >
    > > Do a web search and you'll find some pretty decent prices for it.
    > >
    > > Good luck,
    > > --
    > > DaveC
    > > me@privacy.net