    "Marc R." <Nospam@NewgroupsONLY.com> wrote in message
    news:%23IZfAhKnFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >I did all of :
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841251/
    >
    > and still not working for me.
    >
    > Someone can help ??
    >
    > the server only works locally now.
    >
    > Thanks in advance Marc.

    Need more info about your network. It may be a problem on the client side.
    How many clients are connecting to the database? Can they see the server
    share OK? Can they ping the server by IP and by name? What OS and service
    pack level are the clients?

    Kerry

    In article <#IZfAhKnFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    Nospam@NewgroupsONLY.com says...
    > I did all of :
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841251/
    >
    > and still not working for me.
    >
    > Someone can help ??
    >
    > the server only works locally now.
    >
    > Thanks in advance Marc.

    Why not just add 1433 and 1434 to the exception list?

    1433 is the TCP port for data.
    1434 is the TCP port for Ent. Manager.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    In article <#FYnP4OnFHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
    tems.c*a*m says...
    > "Marc R." <Nospam@NewgroupsONLY.com> wrote in message
    > >I did all of :
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841251/
    > >
    > > and still not working for me.
    > >
    > > Someone can help ??
    > >
    > > the server only works locally now.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance Marc.
    > >

    > Need more info about your network. It may be a problem on the client side.
    > How many clients are connecting to the database? Can they see the server
    > share OK? Can they ping the server by IP and by name? What OS and service
    > pack level are the clients?

    MSDE does not require file level access, it's the desktop edition of SQL
    and only requires port 1433 to remotely access the databases. The
    limitation of 10 connections (for XP) and that users would need a
    login/password is still there, but they don't need access to any
    "files" or shares on the box MSDE is running on.

    Opening 1433 will let others connect to it.

    --

    > In article <#FYnP4OnFHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
    > tems.c*a*m says...
    >> "Marc R." <Nospam@NewgroupsONLY.com> wrote in message
    >> >I did all of :
    >> >
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841251/
    >> >
    >> > and still not working for me.
    >> >
    >> > Someone can help ??
    >> >
    >> > the server only works locally now.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance Marc.
    >> >

    >> Need more info about your network. It may be a problem on the client
    >> side.
    >> How many clients are connecting to the database? Can they see the server
    >> share OK? Can they ping the server by IP and by name? What OS and service
    >> pack level are the clients?
    >
    > MSDE does not require file level access, it's the desktop edition of SQL
    > and only requires port 1433 to remotely access the databases. The
    > limitation of 10 connections (for XP) and that users would need a
    > login/password is still there, but they don't need access to any
    > "files" or shares on the box MSDE is running on.
    >
    > Opening 1433 will let others connect to it.

    You still need to be able to see the instance running on the "server" i.e.
    ping the server. I was trying to see if it was a network problem rather than
    a sql problem. It's most likely a firewall issue on the clients from what
    has been described so far.

    Kerry

    In article <#g7OW1QnFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
    tems.c*a*m says...
    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    > > In article <#FYnP4OnFHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
    > > tems.c*a*m says...
    > >> "Marc R." <Nospam@NewgroupsONLY.com> wrote in message

    > >> Need more info about your network. It may be a problem on the client
    > >> side.
    > >> How many clients are connecting to the database? Can they see the server
    > >> share OK? Can they ping the server by IP and by name? What OS and service
    > >> pack level are the clients?
    > >
    > > MSDE does not require file level access, it's the desktop edition of SQL
    > > and only requires port 1433 to remotely access the databases. The
    > > limitation of 10 connections (for XP) and that users would need a
    > > login/password is still there, but they don't need access to any
    > > "files" or shares on the box MSDE is running on.
    > >
    > > Opening 1433 will let others connect to it.
    > >

    > You still need to be able to see the instance running on the "server" i.e.
    > ping the server. I was trying to see if it was a network problem rather than
    > a sql problem. It's most likely a firewall issue on the clients from what
    > has been described so far.

    I don't expose anything except 1433 and it works fine for our SQL
    Servers. There is no reason to expose a server to ports that are not
    related to the business function - and ping doesn't need to respond in
    order for the data connection to be made.

    If the chap does 1433 and 1434 and then tries a Enterprise Manager
    connection to it from a remote workstation, if he can't get in, it's
    either the wrong IP or he doesn't have MSDE actually running and
    listening on TCP.

    --

    > In article <#g7OW1QnFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
    > tems.c*a*m says...
    >> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    >> > In article <#FYnP4OnFHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
    >> > tems.c*a*m says...

    >> > MSDE does not require file level access, it's the desktop edition of
    >> > SQL
    >> > and only requires port 1433 to remotely access the databases. The
    >> > limitation of 10 connections (for XP) and that users would need a
    >> > login/password is still there, but they don't need access to any
    >> > "files" or shares on the box MSDE is running on.
    >> >
    >> > Opening 1433 will let others connect to it.
    >> >

    >> You still need to be able to see the instance running on the "server"
    >> i.e.
    >> ping the server. I was trying to see if it was a network problem rather
    >> than
    >> a sql problem. It's most likely a firewall issue on the clients from what
    >> has been described so far.
    >
    > I don't expose anything except 1433 and it works fine for our SQL
    > Servers. There is no reason to expose a server to ports that are not
    > related to the business function - and ping doesn't need to respond in
    > order for the data connection to be made.
    >
    > If the chap does 1433 and 1434 and then tries a Enterprise Manager
    > connection to it from a remote workstation, if he can't get in, it's
    > either the wrong IP or he doesn't have MSDE actually running and
    > listening on TCP.

    Of course you are right for a production system. While troubleshooting I
    find it easier to make sure the network is working properly first. Once
    everything is working it can then be locked down in steps to make sure each
    step doesn't break something. I'm assuming the OP is running the server on a
    LAN not the Internet as they are using MSDE on an XP machine. In any case
    they didn't leave much information and haven't answered back so it's
    probably an orphaned thread :-)

    Kerry

    In article <#Q#vehRnFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
    tems.c*a*m says...
    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    > > In article <#g7OW1QnFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
    > > tems.c*a*m says...
    > >> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message

    > >> You still need to be able to see the instance running on the "server"
    > >> i.e.
    > >> ping the server. I was trying to see if it was a network problem rather
    > >> than
    > >> a sql problem. It's most likely a firewall issue on the clients from what
    > >> has been described so far.
    > >
    > > I don't expose anything except 1433 and it works fine for our SQL
    > > Servers. There is no reason to expose a server to ports that are not
    > > related to the business function - and ping doesn't need to respond in
    > > order for the data connection to be made.
    > >
    > > If the chap does 1433 and 1434 and then tries a Enterprise Manager
    > > connection to it from a remote workstation, if he can't get in, it's
    > > either the wrong IP or he doesn't have MSDE actually running and
    > > listening on TCP.
    > >

    > Of course you are right for a production system. While troubleshooting I
    > find it easier to make sure the network is working properly first. Once
    > everything is working it can then be locked down in steps to make sure each
    > step doesn't break something. I'm assuming the OP is running the server on a
    > LAN not the Internet as they are using MSDE on an XP machine. In any case
    > they didn't leave much information and haven't answered back so it's
    > probably an orphaned thread :-)

    I always worry when someone posts about using XP and MSDE that they are
    doing some sort of web based project that gets exposed to the Net. There
    are tons of posts in the MS groups about people hanging a SQL server
    live on the net and doing it without a firewall or doing it with a
    firewall, but they expose 1433 to the world.

    When we hold training sessions I try and ever give a short-cut type
    example, over the years I've seen where those "we're only doing it like
    this in class to show you how it works, never do this in the real
    world" type examples always seem to make it into at least one students
    project that was in a class like that.

    --

    > In article <#Q#vehRnFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-

    <snip>

    > I always worry when someone posts about using XP and MSDE that they are
    > doing some sort of web based project that gets exposed to the Net. There
    > are tons of posts in the MS groups about people hanging a SQL server
    > live on the net and doing it without a firewall or doing it with a
    > firewall, but they expose 1433 to the world.
    >
    > When we hold training sessions I try and ever give a short-cut type
    > example, over the years I've seen where those "we're only doing it like
    > this in class to show you how it works, never do this in the real
    > world" type examples always seem to make it into at least one students
    > project that was in a class like that.

    I have seen a few nightmares with MSDE. I was called in to an office that
    was using software supplied by their bank to do online credit card
    authorizations. MSDE was installed on a Windows 98 machine connected to a
    hub which was connected directly to an ADSL modem. There was no firewall.
    They told me the bank's customer support told them to hook it up this way.
    They kept getting hit with a Slammer worm. The tech support told them the
    problem must be with their computer. It needed more ram. They called me to
    install more ram :-)

    Kerry

    In article <Oh9GHCTnFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
    tems.c*a*m says...
    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    > > In article <#Q#vehRnFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-
    >
    > <snip>
    >

    > > I always worry when someone posts about using XP and MSDE that they are
    > > doing some sort of web based project that gets exposed to the Net. There
    > > are tons of posts in the MS groups about people hanging a SQL server
    > > live on the net and doing it without a firewall or doing it with a
    > > firewall, but they expose 1433 to the world.
    > >
    > > When we hold training sessions I try and ever give a short-cut type
    > > example, over the years I've seen where those "we're only doing it like
    > > this in class to show you how it works, never do this in the real
    > > world" type examples always seem to make it into at least one students
    > > project that was in a class like that.
    >
    > I have seen a few nightmares with MSDE. I was called in to an office that
    > was using software supplied by their bank to do online credit card
    > authorizations. MSDE was installed on a Windows 98 machine connected to a
    > hub which was connected directly to an ADSL modem. There was no firewall.
    > They told me the bank's customer support told them to hook it up this way.
    > They kept getting hit with a Slammer worm. The tech support told them the
    > problem must be with their computer. It needed more ram. They called me to
    > install more ram :-)

    Now that was funny. It's amazing at how few businesses actually protect
    our data.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me