Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question about the tracert function

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 20, 2004 2:09:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

My website and email are hosted by Speedyweb.com.
Today I have been unable to access my website or my email.

I thought this was a problem with Speedyweb, but they said it's a
problem with my ISP, and there's nothing they can do about it.

I called some of the neighbors who are also on the same ISP, and they
also can't access my website. My ISP says there is no problem at
their end.

I had some friends outside my area check it, and it works for them.
It's really aggravating, because I haven't been able to retrieve email
all day.

I ran a trace, here are the results:


Tracing route to mbsoundworks.com [66.132.16.120]

over a maximum of 30 hops:



1 11 ms 9 ms 9 ms 192.168.68.1

2 8 ms 9 ms 9 ms CPE43-73-1.wireless.essex1.com [207.43.73.1]

3 72 ms 78 ms 83 ms sl-gw18-chi-6-0-1.sprintlink.net [144.228.207.101]

4 49 ms 33 ms 34 ms sl-bb22-chi-1-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.26.230]

5 44 ms 33 ms 38 ms sl-st21-chi-13-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.91]

6 54 ms 41 ms 39 ms 144.232.9.22

7 31 ms 27 ms 36 ms p0-1.core01.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com
[154.54.10.29]

8 35 ms 28 ms 29 ms p12-0.core01.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com
[154.54.2.237]

9 33 ms 39 ms 37 ms p5-0.core01.cle01.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.221]

10 35 ms 42 ms 36 ms p6-0.ca01.cle03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.1.226]

11 46 ms 47 ms 47 ms s2-0.ca01.day01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.2.2]

12 53 ms 47 ms 45 ms TTI.Cleveland.fnsi.net [216.28.126.198]

13 * * * Request timed out.

14 * * * Request timed out.

15 * * * Request timed out.

16 * * * Request timed out.

17 * * * Request timed out.

18 * * * Request timed out.

19 * * * Request timed out.

20 * * * Request timed out.

21 * * * Request timed out.

22 * * * Request timed out.

23 * * * Request timed out.

24 * * * Request timed out.

25 * * * Request timed out.

26 * * * Request timed out.

27 * * * Request timed out.

28 * * * Request timed out.

29 * * * Request timed out.

30 * * * Request timed out.



Trace complete.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 20, 2004 3:33:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Mitch@hotmail.com wrote:
> My website and email are hosted by Speedyweb.com.
> Today I have been unable to access my website or my email.
>
> I thought this was a problem with Speedyweb, but they said it's a
> problem with my ISP, and there's nothing they can do about it.

> Tracing route to mbsoundworks.com [66.132.16.120]

> 12 53 ms 47 ms 45 ms TTI.Cleveland.fnsi.net [216.28.126.198]

My traceroute goes from fnsi.net to 66.132.16.120.
Does yours work now? If not, the problem is between fnsi.net and
Speedyweb.com. I suspect SpeedyWeb hasn't set up your DNS correctly.
There is no reverse DNS pointing your IP address back to the name.
That might not be needed, and shouldn't have anything to do with this
traceroute, but it isn't right.

Can Speedyweb do a traceroute to you? Did they try? Can they do a
traceroute or ping to TTI.Cleveland.fnsi.net?

--
---
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 20, 2004 3:43:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

This doesn't look like a problem at your ISP. It looks as if it is either
at Speedyweb or at fsni.net.

From my account I get the same end routing into Speedyweb, which is
working now.

12 128 ms 129 ms 127 ms s2-0.ca01.day01.atlas.cogentco.com
[154.54.2.2]
13 117 ms 121 ms 118 ms TTI.Cleveland.fnsi.net [216.28.126.198]
14 131 ms 128 ms 145 ms 66.132.16.120

Trace complete.

Dave

On Wed, 19 May 2004 22:09:57 GMT, <Mitch@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My website and email are hosted by Speedyweb.com.
> Today I have been unable to access my website or my email.
> I thought this was a problem with Speedyweb, but they said it's a
> problem with my ISP, and there's nothing they can do about it.
>
> I called some of the neighbors who are also on the same ISP, and they
> also can't access my website. My ISP says there is no problem at
> their end.
> I had some friends outside my area check it, and it works for them.
> It's really aggravating, because I haven't been able to retrieve email
> all day.
>
> I ran a trace, here are the results:
>
...snip..
>
> 11 46 ms 47 ms 47 ms s2-0.ca01.day01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.2.2]
>
> 12 53 ms 47 ms 45 ms TTI.Cleveland.fnsi.net [216.28.126.198]
>
> 13 * * * Request timed out.
>



--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 20, 2004 3:48:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

>This doesn't look like a problem at your ISP. It looks as if it is either
>at Speedyweb or at fsni.net.


So, I thought that the whole point of the Internet was that if one
point went down, the signals would take another route.

But if my ISP is ok, and my web host is ok, some unrelated
intermediate site can block the whole deal?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 20, 2004 3:51:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

>Does yours work now?

No, mine still doesn't work.
And if I go to http://www.speedyweb.com/ and click on Support, that
page ALSO isn't found.

This is really starting to TICK ME OFF.

Tomorrow I call 1and1.com and get rid of these losers.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 20, 2004 10:27:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

First of all, PING and Microsoft Tracert sometimes show no response for a
connection that otherwise works. This is because they use ICMP Echo
requests, and in these security-conscious days many device refuse to respond
to these. Unix and Cisco devices use UDP packets in their traceroute
programs, and they don't get blocked as often.

In your case, the failure is real, but the exact point of failure can be
obscured for the above reason.

It is possible for a 3rd party to cause your traffic to disappear. It's
called being black-holed. If an intermediate ISP cannot reach the
destination network, but continues to claim (via BGP) that it can, then you
have been black-holed. It's more likely, though, that your web hosting
company has screwed up.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

<Mitch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:iisna0p5l1tkf97g5183nlk2tus7tgt9ei@4ax.com...
>
> >This doesn't look like a problem at your ISP. It looks as if it is
either
> >at Speedyweb or at fsni.net.
>
>
> So, I thought that the whole point of the Internet was that if one
> point went down, the signals would take another route.
>
> But if my ISP is ok, and my web host is ok, some unrelated
> intermediate site can block the whole deal?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 20, 2004 10:20:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

=====================================================
=== VisualRoute report on May 20, 2004 1:14:50 PM ===
=====================================================
=====================================================
=== VisualRoute report on May 20, 2004 1:14:50 PM ===

I downlaoded the trial version of VisualRoute, and it can't complete
the trace. It says "Problems in transporting data across this route."

Does this mean the last point in the list is the problem?
What can I do about it?


=====================================================

Report for 66.132.16.10

Analysis: Problems occurred in transporting data across this route.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Hop | %Loss | IP Address | Node Name | Location | Tzone | ms | Graph | Network |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 0 | | 192.168.1.100 | Bfamily.essex1.com | ... | | | | (private use) |
| 1 | | 192.168.68.1 | - | ... | | 8 | x | (private use) |
| 2 | | 207.43.73.1 | CPE43-73-1.wireless.essex1.com | Reston, VA, USA | -05:00 | 20 | x----- | Sprint SPRINTLINK-BLKR |
| 3 | | 144.228.207.101 | sl-gw18-chi-6-0-1.sprintlink.net | Chicago, IL, USA | -06:00 | 35 | -x-------- | Sprint SPRINTLINK |
| 4 | | 144.232.26.230 | sl-bb22-chi-1-0.sprintlink.net | Chicago, IL, USA | -06:00 | 19 | x- | Sprint SPRINT-INNET9 |
| 5 | | 144.232.20.91 | sl-st21-chi-13-0.sprintlink.net | Chicago, IL, USA | -06:00 | 16 | x- | Sprint SPRINT-INNET9 |
| 6 | | 144.232.9.22 | - | Reston, VA, USA | -05:00 | 30 | -x- | Sprint SPRINT-INNET9 |
| 7 | | 154.54.10.29 | p0-1.core01.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com | Chicago, IL, USA | -06:00 | 21 | x- | Performance Systems International PSINET-B2-54 |
| 8 | | 154.54.2.237 | p12-0.core01.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com | Chicago, IL, USA | -06:00 | 22 | x- | Performance Systems International PSINET-B2-54 |
| 9 | | 66.28.4.221 | p5-0.core01.cle01.atlas.cogentco.com | - | | 26 | -x | Cogent Communications COGENT-NB-0000 |
| 10 | | 154.54.1.226 | p6-0.ca01.cle03.atlas.cogentco.com | - | | 29 | x | Performance Systems International PSINET-B2-54 |
| 11 | | 154.54.2.2 | s2-0.ca01.day01.atlas.cogentco.com | - | | 38 | x- | Performance Systems International PSINET-B2-54 |
-- May 20, 2004 1:14:50 PM
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 21, 2004 6:13:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

It could be that the last node on the list has an incorrect Next-Hop
Address, or it could be that the next device after the last is silently
dropping your packets.

In any event, I was successful in tracing from my ISP, CableVision, to your
destination. Interestingly, my trace also went through Cogentco's Chicago,
Cleveland, and Dayton sites, but not the exact same routers. I would guess
that Cogentco (PSInet) has a problem in their
s2-0.ca01.day01.atlas.cogentco.com router. Here is my trace:

7 11 ms 11 ms 12 ms r1-srp0-0.in.nycmny83.cv.net [65.19.96.83]
8 17 ms 18 ms 16 ms r1-pos1-0.in.asbnva16.cv.net [167.206.8.150]
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 19 ms 19 ms 17 ms p1-2.core01.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com
[154.54.2.249]
11 61 ms 62 ms 61 ms p14-0.core01.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com
[66.28.4.90]
12 62 ms 62 ms 63 ms p15-0.core02.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com
[66.28.4.26]
13 61 ms 61 ms 61 ms p15-0.core01.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com
[66.28.4.38]
14 64 ms 66 ms 62 ms p5-0.core02.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com
[66.28.4.34]
15 63 ms 62 ms 61 ms p15-0.core01.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com
[66.28.4.61]
16 61 ms 61 ms 61 ms p5-0.core01.cle01.atlas.cogentco.com
[66.28.4.221]
17 92 ms 71 ms 75 ms p2-0.ca01.day01.atlas.cogentco.com
[154.54.2.142]
18 67 ms 65 ms 65 ms core.wwwnexus.com [216.28.126.198]
19 68 ms 69 ms 67 ms ns.wwwnexus.com [66.132.16.10]
Trace complete.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

<Mitch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:nhtpa0tv9mt8gtcrrvvmblfq38dvu4nkl4@4ax.com...
> =====================================================
> === VisualRoute report on May 20, 2004 1:14:50 PM ===
> =====================================================
> =====================================================
> === VisualRoute report on May 20, 2004 1:14:50 PM ===
>
> I downlaoded the trial version of VisualRoute, and it can't complete
> the trace. It says "Problems in transporting data across this route."
>
> Does this mean the last point in the list is the problem?
> What can I do about it?
>
>
> =====================================================
>
> Report for 66.132.16.10
>
> Analysis: Problems occurred in transporting data across this route.
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------
> | Hop | %Loss | IP Address | Node Name |
Location | Tzone | ms | Graph | Network
|
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------
> | 0 | | 192.168.1.100 | Bfamily.essex1.com |
.... | | | | (private use)
|
> | 1 | | 192.168.68.1 | - |
.... | | 8 | x | (private use)
|
> | 2 | | 207.43.73.1 | CPE43-73-1.wireless.essex1.com |
Reston, VA, USA | -05:00 | 20 | x----- | Sprint SPRINTLINK-BLKR
|
> | 3 | | 144.228.207.101 | sl-gw18-chi-6-0-1.sprintlink.net |
Chicago, IL, USA | -06:00 | 35 | -x-------- | Sprint SPRINTLINK
|
> | 4 | | 144.232.26.230 | sl-bb22-chi-1-0.sprintlink.net |
Chicago, IL, USA | -06:00 | 19 | x- | Sprint SPRINT-INNET9
|
> | 5 | | 144.232.20.91 | sl-st21-chi-13-0.sprintlink.net |
Chicago, IL, USA | -06:00 | 16 | x- | Sprint SPRINT-INNET9
|
> | 6 | | 144.232.9.22 | - |
Reston, VA, USA | -05:00 | 30 | -x- | Sprint SPRINT-INNET9
|
> | 7 | | 154.54.10.29 | p0-1.core01.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com |
Chicago, IL, USA | -06:00 | 21 | x- | Performance Systems
International PSINET-B2-54 |
> | 8 | | 154.54.2.237 | p12-0.core01.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com |
Chicago, IL, USA | -06:00 | 22 | x- | Performance Systems
International PSINET-B2-54 |
> | 9 | | 66.28.4.221 | p5-0.core01.cle01.atlas.cogentco.com
| - | | 26 | -x | Cogent Communications
COGENT-NB-0000 |
> | 10 | | 154.54.1.226 | p6-0.ca01.cle03.atlas.cogentco.com
| - | | 29 | x | Performance Systems
International PSINET-B2-54 |
> | 11 | | 154.54.2.2 | s2-0.ca01.day01.atlas.cogentco.com
| - | | 38 | x- | Performance Systems
International PSINET-B2-54 |
> -- May 20, 2004 1:14:50 PM
>
!