PCI Video Card Advice

G

Hey there. I only have PCI slots. What is the best PCI video card out there? I'm a gamer! And the 32mb PCI DDR card I wanted is fake 64-bit DDR (annihilator 3d blaster).

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The best PCI card is the Voodoo 5 5500 PCI 64MB. But it's in short supply after 3dfx folded.

<font color=blue>Change d Sig of d week!</font color=blue>

G

THe Voodoo 5? 3dFX boards aren't that great. That's why the went under. LOL. I was thinking about the Inno3D Tornado GeForce2 MX 400 64mb PCI SDR. Is this a good choice?

G

Radeon PCI SDR works well? Would I get 60FPS on Counter-Strike at 1024x728 OpenGL? iono bout that...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Radeon PCI is about the best you can do for PCI, and no, it won't do over 100FPS in ANY game! PCI sucks! Get a new motherboard! A reasonably good AGP motherboard can be had for around $30!

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

G

If i get a new mobo, it has to be one that supports a Pentium 3 processor 1ghz. AND it has to be MicroATX or it won't fit in my case. I'm not gonna geta new case and new mobo JUST for an AGP slot. My system is set....no more upgrades except i want to get the best video. Stop saying PCI sucks, i know this, and 3dFx cards are SLOW!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know what framerate you will get with that game but definitely not 60fps. The one Radeon PCI that I installed barely managed 30fps at 1024x768x32, normal quality in Quake III. It's 3DMark2000 score was 3600. 3DMark2001 had texture errors but I think that was because of the old drivers (to be updated as soon as my friend wants me to do it). His system is a Dell 800L (800 mhz P3, 100mhz FSB).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Asus CUSL2-M is Micro ATX, has an AGP 4x slot, uses the Intel i815E chipset, supports UDMA100, has 4USB ports, is avialable with or without onboard sound, and cleans your pipes in 30 seconds or less! Well, I don' know about the last part!

G

Again I say, I am on a budget and I can't get a new motherboard. My father will only allow me to get a new video card. I want the BEST PCI! Still need more opinions and performance details...or advice? "don't ask me to geta new mobo again pleez. =)"

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Seeing as you only have PCIs what type of processor do you have? Normally the graphics card is the limiting factor in games these days but it may the CPU in your case.

Is it worth getting the best? Will it make a difference to an econo?

How much are you willing to spend? For a couple hundred bucks, equivalent to high end GPU, you can get a board and processor (and fan) w/ onboard graphics that will do you better. Then later on talk him into a GPU. Only problem you may run into more expenses if your power supply and and case aren't up to the job. Research a little.

<b><A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com/" target="_new">How fast is your PC</A></b>

G

i finally convinced my father to purchase a 1Ghz P3 system for a great price. I currently have onboard 8mb allocated memory AGP graphics where i can get average 40-50fps on COunter-strike at openGL 800x600, but when i go to 1024, my frames drop to like 20fps average. Will any PCI card enable me go to 1024x768 at least 50fps average? If not, then i'll have to suffer with this system for a couple years.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If it is a socket board, you can buy a Giga-Byte Board @ <A HREF="http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?pn=GBT-6OMM7" target="_new">the Nerds</A> or an Asus @ <A HREF="http://www.techstore.com/solutions/item.asp?sku=775740TD&S=577G0" target="_new"> techstore.com</A>. both MB will work

If it works for you then don't fix it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A PIII 600 with a GeForce2 MX will considerably outperform a PIII 1000 with integrated i810 video in all 3D games. You need a motherboard with an AGP slot, not a damned computer!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
dude. get a gf2 mx 400 pci..
right now on pricewatch, there is a creative labs one with 32 megs of ddr... it is OEM, but for $76 i think that this will greatly improve yuor video.
also, there is better ones, but howmuch are you allowed to spend?
and i will have to agree with everyone else. you will probably be better off buying a new mobo. but it all depends on what case and psu you have i suppose. did your dad buy that thing PRE-made? and if he did...then who made it. compaq, dell, hp, micron. or a computer store.
if you hook us up with some more info, i am sure that someone will be able to hook you up with some suggestions.
-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
do you work in a shop or something?
and i will agree with you on the radeon being better than that card, at least from some of the stuff i have read, and the fact that the radeon has some dx8 features. and i correct on that part?
i do however think that it is funny(NO OFFENSE, I LOVE THIS PLACE!) that most people here lean towards ati products.
-DAvid

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I am a system supplier for a local shop. Your right on the Radeon. The main reason I recommend it is that it requires less bnadwidth to work properly, which makes it perfect for a PCI. It still sucks compaired to AGP though,do to the limmitations of PCI. I use a GTS on my PC and a Radeon LE on the wifes.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
wow..that is nice to know...about the radeon taking less bandwidth.
and that makes the radeon the better choice for his PCI-set-in-stone-system. and for 65, who can argue?
my dad is kinda in the same situation. he has a HP-Pavilion 6545c with a 500 celeron, and all it has is 3 pci slots, one of which doesnt even work...which kinda sucks ass. limited to 2pci slots. ont a celeron 500 with 66mhz bus. that system also has that damned intel i810 chipset taht does nothing for 3d games. it cant even run openGL on some things, like counter-strike. that has to be run in software mode to be playable. but whatever. my geforce2 pro should be getting here tomorrow. i cant wait to see that big brown ups truck pull onto my street. then i can chuck out (give my little brother) my stealth3 s540 32meg agp.
-DAvid
are you a southern california based dealer? or the shop that you supply? and does it have good prices? in the near future, i am planning on a big upgrade. mobo/processor/powersupply
and i am shopping around for the best prices.

G

Yer selling an ATi Radeon 32mb SDR PCI for 65bux? I like the sound of that deal. I think after all the generous replys my message, I will go with the radeon...but now I want to get the best price. Where should I purchase this card? It's $99.99 at best buy.