Error Code on printer port

On my new 8400 Dell Xp MCE 2005, I get an error code (parallel port
maybe used by another application) when I make a second scan on my
Cannon FB Scanner.
The first scan always goes though and prints fine to the Lexmark
printer. The second attempt always fails, and I must reboot before
scanning a second document....The Scanner and Printer worked fine on my
old Gateway running win98, but can't seem to get XP willing to share the
Printer port with the scanner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Brad
9 answers Last reply
More about error code printer port

    "Brad" <b2otto2@removealltel.net> wrote in message
    > On my new 8400 Dell Xp MCE 2005, I get an error code (parallel port maybe
    > used by another application) when I make a second scan on my Cannon FB
    > Scanner.
    > The first scan always goes though and prints fine to the Lexmark printer.
    > The second attempt always fails, and I must reboot before scanning a
    > second document....The Scanner and Printer worked fine on my old Gateway
    > running win98, but can't seem to get XP willing to share the Printer port
    > with the scanner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    > Brad

    Brad -

    The first obvious question would be have you downloaded software and drivers
    for both the scanner and printer (from their sites) for Windows XP?

    WinXP native drivers may not be enough....

    Stew

    Took me 30 seconds to find this:
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=OSCompatibilityAct&fcategoryid=104&keycode=windr

    Since you didn't post the scanner model number you'll have to provide it
    here:
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportIndexAct&fcategoryid=206

    "Brad" <b2otto2@removealltel.net> wrote in message
    > On my new 8400 Dell Xp MCE 2005, I get an error code (parallel port
    > maybe used by another application) when I make a second scan on my
    > Cannon FB Scanner.
    > The first scan always goes though and prints fine to the Lexmark
    > printer. The second attempt always fails, and I must reboot before
    > scanning a second document....The Scanner and Printer worked fine on my
    > old Gateway running win98, but can't seem to get XP willing to share the
    > Printer port with the scanner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    > Brad

    Stew,
    That was the first thing I did. I update the drivers for Printer and
    Scanner when I relocated the Sanner(Cannon FB 320P) and the Printer
    (Lexmark E210) to the Dell 8400. The only thing I did not do was
    download the filmware for the E210.
    http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/knowledgebase.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:77:0:0&framed=&docid=ENUS2226&relevance=1,
    Brad

    S.Lewis wrote:

    > "Brad" <b2otto2@removealltel.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>On my new 8400 Dell Xp MCE 2005, I get an error code (parallel port maybe
    >>used by another application) when I make a second scan on my Cannon FB
    >>Scanner.
    >>The first scan always goes though and prints fine to the Lexmark printer.
    >>The second attempt always fails, and I must reboot before scanning a
    >>second document....The Scanner and Printer worked fine on my old Gateway
    >>running win98, but can't seem to get XP willing to share the Printer port
    >>with the scanner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>Brad
    >

    > Brad -
    >
    > The first obvious question would be have you downloaded software and drivers
    > for both the scanner and printer (from their sites) for Windows XP?
    >
    > WinXP native drivers may not be enough....
    >

    > Stew

    Have you tried a different parallel port setting in the BIOS?

    > Stew,
    > That was the first thing I did. I update the drivers for Printer and
    > Scanner when I relocated the Sanner(Cannon FB 320P) and the Printer
    > (Lexmark E210) to the Dell 8400. The only thing I did not do was download
    > the filmware for the E210.
    > http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/knowledgebase.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:77:0:0&framed=&docid=ENUS2226&relevance=1,
    > Brad
    >

    > S.Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> "Brad" <b2otto2@removealltel.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>On my new 8400 Dell Xp MCE 2005, I get an error code (parallel port maybe
    >>>used by another application) when I make a second scan on my Cannon FB
    >>>Scanner.
    >>>The first scan always goes though and prints fine to the Lexmark printer.
    >>>The second attempt always fails, and I must reboot before scanning a
    >>>second document....The Scanner and Printer worked fine on my old Gateway
    >>>running win98, but can't seem to get XP willing to share the Printer port
    >>>with the scanner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>>Brad
    >>

    >> Brad -
    >>
    >> The first obvious question would be have you downloaded software and
    >> drivers for both the scanner and printer (from their sites) for Windows
    >> XP?
    >>
    >> WinXP native drivers may not be enough....
    >>

    >> Stew

    i think you are making this way more complicated than it is.
    your initial question lacked the basic information for anyone to provide a
    precise solution, but it seems for the other crumbs you have provided that
    the issue is this...

    you have a dimension 8400 running windows xp. connected to the parallel
    port on the 8400 is a cannon canoscan fb 320p. connected to the pass
    through parallel port on the fb 320p is a lexmark e210 laser printer. all
    drivers are up to date and the printer works, however after the first scan
    you are unable to scan again until you reboot.

    it is a pretty common to encounter problems with parallel prot pass through
    devices under windows xp. it may be due to driver conflicts or it may be
    due to the mode of the parallel port. you can spend lots of time trying to
    identify the source of the problem with combination of software drivers or
    you could try setting the parallel port in the bios to a different mode
    (that which is specified by the fb 320p) but you are probably just wasting
    your time. the solution to your problem is pretty simple. get a usb cable
    and connect your lexmark e210 directly to one of your many usb ports. i
    suggest that you first delete the existing lexmark software that you have
    installed, disconnect the printer's parallel port cable, restart the
    machine, and then connect the printer to the computer with the usb cable.

    also, be sure to download the CanoScan Toolbox v2.2.3 for Windows
    98/Me/2000/XP software from the same site that you downloaded the driver.

    "Brad" <b2otto2@removealltel.net> wrote in message
    > Stew,
    > That was the first thing I did. I update the drivers for Printer and
    > Scanner when I relocated the Sanner(Cannon FB 320P) and the Printer
    > (Lexmark E210) to the Dell 8400. The only thing I did not do was download
    > the filmware for the E210.
    > http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/knowledgebase.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:77:0:0&framed=&docid=ENUS2226&relevance=1,
    > Brad
    >

    > S.Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> "Brad" <b2otto2@removealltel.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>On my new 8400 Dell Xp MCE 2005, I get an error code (parallel port maybe
    >>>used by another application) when I make a second scan on my Cannon FB
    >>>Scanner.
    >>>The first scan always goes though and prints fine to the Lexmark printer.
    >>>The second attempt always fails, and I must reboot before scanning a
    >>>second document....The Scanner and Printer worked fine on my old Gateway
    >>>running win98, but can't seem to get XP willing to share the Printer port
    >>>with the scanner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>>Brad
    >>

    >> Brad -
    >>
    >> The first obvious question would be have you downloaded software and
    >> drivers for both the scanner and printer (from their sites) for Windows
    >> XP?
    >>
    >> WinXP native drivers may not be enough....
    >>

    >> Stew

    to be clear, your lexmark e210 has both a parallel port and a usb port and
    so can be directly connected to a pc in either fashion. there is no point
    in using the parallel port since you need that port for your old scanner
    that only works on a parallel port.

    > to be clear, your lexmark e210 has both a parallel port and a usb port and
    > so can be directly connected to a pc in either fashion. there is no point
    > in using the parallel port since you need that port for your old scanner
    > that only works on a parallel port.

    <snip>

    I agree completely.

    Stew

    Thank you guys!, I forgot the e210 had a usb port. It was a simple
    solution, everything is working now and the printer works better than
    before because it prints faster...

    Brad

    > Thank you guys!, I forgot the e210 had a usb port. It was a simple
    > solution, everything is working now and the printer works better than
    > before because it prints faster...
    >
    > Brad

    Mr. Muto to the rescue.....

    Stew

Dell Scanners Printers Windows XP Computers