FS: Major Havoc (Dedicated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am preparing an information packet on this game right now for those
who may be interested. Basically, I have a dedicated major havoc with
that has the following non-original parts.

* Monitor was replaced with a WG vector, but no cabinet hacks, easy
conversion back if you have the equipment.
* Crystal was replaced on CPU to slow down the drawing so the WG could
keep up.
* Rollers were replaced in the controller with reproductions (have
original parts)

Otherwise, machine is very strong, very clean. Has some nicks on the
left side in the art. Control panel is excellent, art has that nice
original gloss to it. This is a very nice machine, marquee to casters.

Machine is located in Sterling Heights, MI for in-person inspection.

I'd like to talk about a $4,000 price range, and you are responsible
for transport. I'm willing to talk details on the price, and purchase
arrangements. I really don't feel any trades would be worth making,
but perhaps a Simpsons Pinball Party NIB, because I was considering
purchasing one, they are about $3,900 shipped from some reliable
vendors. Anyone who would be interested in talking about a sale,
please E-Mail, and I will provide detailed photos, in and out, and
answer any questions you have.

Will also consider non-ameusement trades for bulk metal lots (silver
coins, silver bars, gold, platinum, etc.) or Swiss/German mechanical
watches of comprable value.

-Dan

In all seriousness, is it really worth $4k w/o the original monitor?
(I don't think MH is worth $4k even with the original monitor, but
that's another issue). :)

a ded MH with rebuilt Amp in stellar condition is easily worth $4k. i
know someone in here that just sold one as i just described for $5k.

but this one doesnt seem to fit the bill

however, due to its rarity and they dont come up for sale too often,
anything is possible.

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

I would say $3500 is more of a starting point on it.

Troy,

<news@mowczan.org> wrote in message
> I am preparing an information packet on this game right now for those
> who may be interested. Basically, I have a dedicated major havoc with
> that has the following non-original parts.
>
> * Monitor was replaced with a WG vector, but no cabinet hacks, easy
> conversion back if you have the equipment.
> * Crystal was replaced on CPU to slow down the drawing so the WG could
> keep up.
> * Rollers were replaced in the controller with reproductions (have
> original parts)
>
> Otherwise, machine is very strong, very clean. Has some nicks on the
> left side in the art. Control panel is excellent, art has that nice
> original gloss to it. This is a very nice machine, marquee to casters.
>
> Machine is located in Sterling Heights, MI for in-person inspection.
>
> I'd like to talk about a $4,000 price range, and you are responsible
> for transport. I'm willing to talk details on the price, and purchase
> arrangements. I really don't feel any trades would be worth making,
> but perhaps a Simpsons Pinball Party NIB, because I was considering
> purchasing one, they are about $3,900 shipped from some reliable
> vendors. Anyone who would be interested in talking about a sale,
> please E-Mail, and I will provide detailed photos, in and out, and
> answer any questions you have.
>
> Will also consider non-ameusement trades for bulk metal lots (silver
> coins, silver bars, gold, platinum, etc.) or Swiss/German mechanical
> watches of comprable value.
>
> -Dan

Thank you for the commentary anyone. A couple of notes:

For those who have dealt with me before, you are aware that I am a
capable negotiator and I am not a retailer. I will work with anyone
interested in the machine, and discuss transport, parts, condition,
market, etc. and I can assure you that a complete transaction will
include a happy buyer and seller. Many years ago, this machine was
mis-represented to me, and I obtained it in this state without recourse
because someone was NOT taking care of informing the customer like I
am.

It's difficult when you're probably five years outside of trading video
games on any regular basis at all to successfully guess a Usenet
posting price that satisfies everyone that reads it, even those not
even in the market for such a thing. I tried -- apparently, it's
enough to generate commentary, which is fine with me. Any price that
starts a reasonable discussion on a transaction as opposed to having
two dozen people line up to take it off my hands for a quick profit
turnover is a good number for the original post. As it says above, I
expect to have discussions with any potential buyers.

This machine is very, very nice -- you may not see one like it again
for a very long time. I chose to post it in this condition although I
am capable of obtaining a Amplifone and getting it tip-top for sale.
My rationale for this is that anyone who is willing to invest in this
vector game is obviously an Atari fan like myself and extremely capable
of doing the repairs, probably having significant experience with
vector monitors, probably even more than I have. In fact, I believe
that anyone wanting this machine would rather do it themselves -- to be
personally confident in the work. This is an opportunity for those who
wish to do so to do it. So, if you collect and work on Atari vectors,
it might be just the ticket.

If I am wrong, and the opportunity to self-restore this machine is of
no interest to anyone, in a few months you'll see a MH dedicated posted
with a sweet amplifone and 100% restored. Realistically, at that
point, I will make 2x on the parts I put into it. But if I'm not
keeping it, and many people actually enjoy this sort of work, I'll
first give the buyer the opportunity to agree on a fair price and make
the transaction.

For those who responded, I should be getting the photos out tonight,
and I look forward to discussing with you.

Thank you,

-Dan

Prok

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003

I want to see some pix, and please add it to the Dedicated MH Registry on my
page!

/brian

http://www.rgvac.com

<news@mowczan.org> wrote in message
>I am preparing an information packet on this game right now for those
> who may be interested. Basically, I have a dedicated major havoc with
> that has the following non-original parts.
>
> * Monitor was replaced with a WG vector, but no cabinet hacks, easy
> conversion back if you have the equipment.
> * Crystal was replaced on CPU to slow down the drawing so the WG could
> keep up.
> * Rollers were replaced in the controller with reproductions (have
> original parts)
>
> Otherwise, machine is very strong, very clean. Has some nicks on the
> left side in the art. Control panel is excellent, art has that nice
> original gloss to it. This is a very nice machine, marquee to casters.
>
> Machine is located in Sterling Heights, MI for in-person inspection.
>
> I'd like to talk about a $4,000 price range, and you are responsible
> for transport. I'm willing to talk details on the price, and purchase
> arrangements. I really don't feel any trades would be worth making,
> but perhaps a Simpsons Pinball Party NIB, because I was considering
> purchasing one, they are about $3,900 shipped from some reliable
> vendors. Anyone who would be interested in talking about a sale,
> please E-Mail, and I will provide detailed photos, in and out, and
> answer any questions you have.
>
> Will also consider non-ameusement trades for bulk metal lots (silver
> coins, silver bars, gold, platinum, etc.) or Swiss/German mechanical
> watches of comprable value.
>
> -Dan

By the way -- serial number is CB00289, and the meter is at 16460.

I was sending the information to the ded. MH registry (Brian), and
noted the strangest thing. The machine is CB00289, and he has CB00290
in the registry. Funny thing is, my mainboard says CB00289, and there
is a label on top of the 6502 that says CB00290! Strange. Chris, are
you missing a serial number?

Interestingly enough, CB00290 was purchased by the collector with a WG
installed too. Spooky...

Anyway, pics here:

http://homepage.mac.com/dmowczan/PhotoAlbum7.html

Thanks,

-Dan

looks pretty good from the pics

may i ask what was misrepresented on this machine?

you know, the pics of the side art look awful familiar to me. i think i
owned this machine at one time.

im going to dig through my prints to see if its the one.

Taxman

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

You had me until the gold bars :)

<news@mowczan.org> wrote in message
> I am preparing an information packet on this game right now for those
> who may be interested. Basically, I have a dedicated major havoc with
> that has the following non-original parts.
>
> * Monitor was replaced with a WG vector, but no cabinet hacks, easy
> conversion back if you have the equipment.
> * Crystal was replaced on CPU to slow down the drawing so the WG could
> keep up.
> * Rollers were replaced in the controller with reproductions (have
> original parts)
>
> Otherwise, machine is very strong, very clean. Has some nicks on the
> left side in the art. Control panel is excellent, art has that nice
> original gloss to it. This is a very nice machine, marquee to casters.
>
> Machine is located in Sterling Heights, MI for in-person inspection.
>
> I'd like to talk about a $4,000 price range, and you are responsible
> for transport. I'm willing to talk details on the price, and purchase
> arrangements. I really don't feel any trades would be worth making,
> but perhaps a Simpsons Pinball Party NIB, because I was considering
> purchasing one, they are about $3,900 shipped from some reliable
> vendors. Anyone who would be interested in talking about a sale,
> please E-Mail, and I will provide detailed photos, in and out, and
> answer any questions you have.
>
> Will also consider non-ameusement trades for bulk metal lots (silver
> coins, silver bars, gold, platinum, etc.) or Swiss/German mechanical
> watches of comprable value.
>
> -Dan

guinness

That is one nice Havoc!

tim (NH)

> By the way -- serial number is CB00289, and the meter is at 16460.
>
> I was sending the information to the ded. MH registry (Brian), and
> noted the strangest thing. The machine is CB00289, and he has CB00290
> in the registry. Funny thing is, my mainboard says CB00289, and there
> is a label on top of the 6502 that says CB00290! Strange. Chris, are
> you missing a serial number?
>
> Interestingly enough, CB00290 was purchased by the collector with a WG
> installed too. Spooky...
>
> Anyway, pics here:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/dmowczan/PhotoAlbum7.html
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Dan

It wasn't a big deal. I don't think it was yours, because I was
assured it was all original when I got it and only had access to
limited photos, but found obviously the WG in it.

When I turned it on, I knew something was amiss, because the game ran
very slow. I believe the clock in the original system was 10.000MHz,
and the conversion kits had a 9.216MHz crystal. This board had been
replaced with an 8MHz crystal, and it was quite pokey. I have
currently installed a conversion kit board with a 9.216MHz crystal,
which works nicely with the installed WG. I was intending myself to
install an Amplifone and bring the game up to 10.000MHz on the original
board and sell the conversion board when I completed it. It was super
slow with the 8MHz.

I went back to the original seller and got some cash returned to me at
the time based on the monitor being non-original. They paid me off a
bit for what I thought would be the cost of the error, and everyone
was happy. I left the WG in with the conversion board because it
worked fine and plays well.

A couple weeks later, I used the refund plus a few bucks to purchase a
STUNNING Star Wars upright. The Amplifone in this machine had been
rebuilt with the proper aftermarket transformer and was one of the
sweetest I had ever seen. Since SW actually runs slow enough that a WG
can draw all of its vectors without an issue, the plan was to remove
the Amplifone from the Star Wars, put it in here, pull the nice WG out
of this and put it in the Star Wars. Alas, years later, I've still
never gotten around to it. I don't think I ever will, but if no one
wants it right now, you never know.

But, newsflash, you may have noted that I indicated above that the MH
motherboard was CB00289. Uh oh! That's a conversion board. UR is the
proper prefix, CB seems to be Tempest conversion boards, and CK was on
some as well (potentially space duel conversions). I found this in an
old Jess Askey post when I was looking to confirm the clock speeds for
this posting. So, looks like it has a conversion board installed, as
well as a WG. I can't figure out for the life of me why in the world a
dedicated MH in great shape with low plays would have a converted
monitor (and a converted board), with an abnormally slow crystal
installed. There's a logical explanation out there somewhere.

When I got the machine and saw CB00289 on the CPU, I assumed that was
'cabinet' or 'cabaret' referring to the unique machine, and only after
all these years have discovered that the original serial number may be
no where to be found on the entire cabinet. I will look again tonight,
to see if I'm missing anything.

So, what I have, as you've seen, is a very nice MH, but one that does
not have a few of it's original parts, but functions very strong and
will make a collector very happy I hope and will factor this in when I
talk to anyone interested.

-Dan

hmm, the photos match one of the MH's I used to have. the side art is a
dead give away.

Price would seem right w/an amplifone. w/o id say $3500+-
Ive had $4500-$5000 on mine but I refused to sell it.

jon/evil e
http://www.arcade-classics.com

news@mowczan.org wrote:
> But, newsflash, you may have noted that I indicated above that the MH
> motherboard was CB00289. Uh oh! That's a conversion board.

Dedicated boards are UR prefixed, CK is typically the conversion kit
board, CB - cabaret?

jon.eXidy wrote:
> Price would seem right w/an amplifone. w/o id say $3500+-
> Ive had $4500-$5000 on mine but I refused to sell it.

I had a legitimate $5000 offer for mine w/ an Amp. I didn't sell, took
me too long to find this one. Paid $1850 for it in '00.

MH is sold, thank you everyone! If I didn't get back to you on an
E-Mail or offer I apologize.

-Dan