Safe mode and Updates

I can't get Updates to XP SP2 and in the process of trying to do so, I'm
instructed to reboot, continuing to press F8, and get into "Safe Mode".
When I do that, I'm not given an option to get into Safe Mode but am given
an option on which of three devices to boot.

How can I get to Safe Mode?

Mike
7 answers Last reply
More about safe mode updates

    Mike,
    You should only need to do a simple reboot, and go back to the usual Windows
    XP. During this process, the updates will take effect. Normally, there is
    no need for Safe mode.

    If you get stuck, post back with: whether you only have XP or if you have a
    multi-boot setup (for more than 1 Windows o.s.) Also, which update this
    involves.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    "mike carrington" wrote
    >I can't get Updates to XP SP2 and in the process of trying to do so, I'm
    >instructed to reboot, continuing to press F8, and get into "Safe Mode".
    >When I do that, I'm not given an option to get into Safe Mode but am given
    >an option on which of three devices to boot.
    >
    > How can I get to Safe Mode?
    >
    > Mike

    The updates do Not take effect after booting, but thanks for trying, anyway.
    The boot with F8 being pressed shows the following:

    " Please select boot device:

    Removable Dev.
    Hard Drive
    ATAPI CD - ROM"

    I don't even know what the last option is! I'd still like to know how to
    "Safe Boot" for the future.

    The "Updates" I'm trying to get are simply the routine "Start -> All
    Programs -> Windows Update".

    Again, thanks for your help.

    Mike

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Mike,
    > You should only need to do a simple reboot, and go back to the usual
    > Windows XP. During this process, the updates will take effect. Normally,
    > there is no need for Safe mode.
    >
    > If you get stuck, post back with: whether you only have XP or if you have
    > a multi-boot setup (for more than 1 Windows o.s.) Also, which update
    > this involves.
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Mike,

    You most likely have Windows XP on your hard drive and not on your removable drive. So then, I'd be picking "Hard Drive".
    But then, why are the other choices coming up for your system?

    Booting from CD will not get you to Safe mode, so that's out.

    I'm sorta lost on your last issue. You want to go to Windows Update website and cannot see the choice on your menu?
    If "it is" missing from your menu, you can get there this way: Bring up Internet Explorer, from it's menu, select Tools then select Windows Update option.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    mike carrington wrote:
    > The updates do Not take effect after booting, but thanks for trying,
    > anyway. The boot with F8 being pressed shows the following:
    >
    > " Please select boot device:
    >
    > Removable Dev.
    > Hard Drive
    > ATAPI CD - ROM"
    >
    > I don't even know what the last option is! I'd still like to know
    > how to "Safe Boot" for the future.
    >
    > The "Updates" I'm trying to get are simply the routine "Start -> All
    > Programs -> Windows Update".
    >
    > Again, thanks for your help.
    >
    > Mike
    >

    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote

    Thanks, Maruice. But the same thing happened. In more detail, let me
    describe...

    Clicking on Windows Updates got me to the screen where Microsoft looked to
    see what software I was running, then I got the "Welcome to Windows Update"
    window with the "Express" button recommended. Clicking on that results in:
    "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
    trying to view.... " Then there are a number of options for help listed.
    I've elected "Online Assisted Support" on two occassions and have two
    different case numbers. Both times, support (Compass Rule) (?) gave me the
    "most likely" reason for my problem and a fix for it. Neither time fixed it
    and I wrote and told them that and have heard nothing.

    So, I'm hanging out here asking for more. One of the 'fixes' of the second
    case number involved a Safe Reboot, thus my original question. I've
    forgotten how to phrase the "Format" in DOS so I could create a bootable
    soft drive. That might help. But your supposition that XP is on my hard
    drive is also correct.

    Stranger and stranger, indeed. Any more words of wisdom would certainly be
    appreciated.

    Mike,

    You most likely have Windows XP on your hard drive and not on your removable
    drive. So then, I'd be picking "Hard Drive".
    But then, why are the other choices coming up for your system?

    Booting from CD will not get you to Safe mode, so that's out.

    I'm sorta lost on your last issue. You want to go to Windows Update website
    and cannot see the choice on your menu?
    If "it is" missing from your menu, you can get there this way: Bring up
    Internet Explorer, from it's menu, select Tools then select Windows Update
    option.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User
    -----

    mike carrington wrote:
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsupdate (More info?)

    Mike,

    Now that you got to the heart of your problem..... you had a problem at website for Windows Update, and you got the infamous "cannot display....."
    That one is caused by several different issues. However, you must look at your log file (as perhaps the support people may have asked).

    Use Notepad or Wordpad and open & look at the Windows Update log file
    C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log or C:\WINNT\WindowsUpdate.log

    Scroll down towards the bottom. Look for wording similar to "yada..yada.. failed Error 0Xnnnnnnn" where nnnnnn are numbers
    The Error code-number is what we look for.

    Your question really belongs in group microsoft.public.windowsupdate
    Crossposting to windowsupdate.

    HTH
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    mike carrington wrote:
    > Thanks, Maruice. But the same thing happened. In more detail, let me
    > describe...
    >
    > Clicking on Windows Updates got me to the screen where Microsoft
    > looked to see what software I was running, then I got the "Welcome to
    > Windows Update" window with the "Express" button recommended.
    > Clicking on that results in: "The website has encountered a problem
    > and cannot display the page you are trying to view.... " Then there
    > are a number of options for help listed. I've elected "Online
    > Assisted Support" on two occassions and have two different case
    > numbers. Both times, support (Compass Rule) (?) gave me the "most
    > likely" reason for my problem and a fix for it. Neither time fixed
    > it and I wrote and told them that and have heard nothing.
    >
    > So, I'm hanging out here asking for more. One of the 'fixes' of the
    > second case number involved a Safe Reboot, thus my original question.
    > I've forgotten how to phrase the "Format" in DOS so I could create a
    > bootable soft drive. That might help. But your supposition that XP
    > is on my hard drive is also correct.
    >
    > Stranger and stranger, indeed. Any more words of wisdom would
    > certainly be appreciated.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Mike,
    >
    > You most likely have Windows XP on your hard drive and not on your
    > removable drive. So then, I'd be picking "Hard Drive".
    > But then, why are the other choices coming up for your system?
    >
    > Booting from CD will not get you to Safe mode, so that's out.
    >
    > I'm sorta lost on your last issue. You want to go to Windows Update
    > website and cannot see the choice on your menu?
    > If "it is" missing from your menu, you can get there this way: Bring
    > up Internet Explorer, from it's menu, select Tools then select
    > Windows Update option.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsupdate (More info?)

    Well, nuts, Maurice!

    I don't have a WindowsUpdate.log in C:\Windows and no C:\WINNT directory.
    So, where does that put me? Arghhhhh! Should I create an empty file with
    that name just to have one?

[...]

    mike carrington wrote:
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsupdate (More info?)

    OK, I found your suggested newsgroup and will move my questions over there,
    Maurice. Too many options...

    Mike

    "mike carrington" <throwaway01@qwest.net> wrote in message
    > Well, nuts, Maurice!
    >
    > I don't have a WindowsUpdate.log in C:\Windows and no C:\WINNT directory.
    > So, where does that put me? Arghhhhh! Should I create an empty file with
    > that name just to have one?
    >
    > Mike
    >

    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Mike,
    >
    > Now that you got to the heart of your problem..... you had a problem at
    > website for Windows Update, and you got the infamous "cannot display....."
    > That one is caused by several different issues. However, you must look at
    > your log file (as perhaps the support people may have asked).
    >
    > Use Notepad or Wordpad and open & look at the Windows Update log file
    > C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log or C:\WINNT\WindowsUpdate.log
    >
    > Scroll down towards the bottom. Look for wording similar to "yada..yada..
    > failed Error 0Xnnnnnnn" where nnnnnn are numbers
    > The Error code-number is what we look for.
    >
    > Your question really belongs in group microsoft.public.windowsupdate
    > Crossposting to windowsupdate.
    >
    > HTH
    > --
    > Maurice N