Account missing - unable to access PC

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 9, 2005 1:28:04 PM

My pc used to launch into my desktop directly at start up. My version of XP
was pre-installed and I have not created any accounts myself. At the weekend
my PC now wants me to select an account to access XP with but there are no
accounts showing to select. I have tried going into safe mode but still end
up at the same screen. I have also tried reverting back to previous working
configurations but stil to no avail.

Can anyone help me get back into my PC?

Thanks

More about : account missing unable access

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:38:16 PM

Hi,

At the welcome screen in Safe Mode, do a Ctrl+alt+del twice.
This will bring up the "Log On to Windows" box.
Type in administrator as the User Name, leave the Password blank, if none was set and
press enter.
Is this the account where all your files are located?

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

eezyrider wrote:
> My pc used to launch into my desktop directly at start
> up. My version of XP was pre-installed and I have not
> created any accounts myself. At the weekend my PC now
> wants me to select an account to access XP with but there
> are no accounts showing to select. I have tried going
> into safe mode but still end up at the same screen. I
> have also tried reverting back to previous working
> configurations but stil to no avail.
>
> Can anyone help me get back into my PC?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:38:17 PM

Thanks for the reply Bert -

Yes, this will be the only account where my files are located.

I have never set up any accounts on this PC and it used to launch straight
to the desktop from day 1. I can only assume the only account will be the
administrator.

I will try this when I get a chance either tonight or tomorrow.

Is there anything else I should bare in mind?

Eezy.

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At the welcome screen in Safe Mode, do a Ctrl+alt+del twice.
> This will bring up the "Log On to Windows" box.
> Type in administrator as the User Name, leave the Password blank, if none was set and
> press enter.
> Is this the account where all your files are located?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> eezyrider wrote:
> > My pc used to launch into my desktop directly at start
> > up. My version of XP was pre-installed and I have not
> > created any accounts myself. At the weekend my PC now
> > wants me to select an account to access XP with but there
> > are no accounts showing to select. I have tried going
> > into safe mode but still end up at the same screen. I
> > have also tried reverting back to previous working
> > configurations but stil to no avail.
> >
> > Can anyone help me get back into my PC?
> >
> > Thanks

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 8:02:33 PM

Hi,

If you are able to logon as Administrator, go to Start Run and type

control userpasswords2

then press enter.

If Administrator is the only account listed the your file are there, then that mean you
have been using the Hidden "Administrator" account.

This hidden "Administrator" account is not intended for day to day use and should not be
used as such. It is intended to be in reserve for emergencies.

The best advice is to create a new "Administrator" account and move any files to it.

You may need to take ownership of a file or folder in the process:

If all this in fact the case, and you insist on using this account, you can use Tweakui -
Logon - and check 'Show "Administrator" on welcome screen".

--

!