no file access after reinstalling Win XP Pro sp2

I was having some problems with AVG firewall trial and finally just formatted
and reinstalled my Windows XP. Since then, I am unable to access my Microsoft
Office 2003 files. Whenever I try, I get a message telling me I don't have
sufficient permissions to access these files. I am the only user and have
full admin rights. I am also using a trial version of Office 2003 and was
before formatting. Has anyone had any experience with this type of problem?
Can anyone offer any suggestions?
I would like to avoid having to reformat again, but I will if I have to.
8 answers Last reply
More about file access reinstalling

    I just noticed that this has to do with files that I had previously
    encrypted. I have since tried to remove the encryption, but am unable to. Can
    someone please help me with this as I need to get access to these files.

    "maritimegal" wrote:

    > I was having some problems with AVG firewall trial and finally just formatted
    > and reinstalled my Windows XP. Since then, I am unable to access my Microsoft
    > Office 2003 files. Whenever I try, I get a message telling me I don't have
    > sufficient permissions to access these files. I am the only user and have
    > full admin rights. I am also using a trial version of Office 2003 and was
    > before formatting. Has anyone had any experience with this type of problem?
    > Can anyone offer any suggestions?
    > I would like to avoid having to reformat again, but I will if I have to.

    What did you encrypt the files with, MS Word or XPs EFS encryption
    protocol?

    "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:

    > What did you encrypt the files with, MS Word or XPs EFS encryption
    > protocol?
    >
    > XP EFS encryption. I am able to remove the folder encryption, but not at the file level.

    Does anyone have any idea why I am having such a problem decrypting the
    files? I can decrypt the folders without any problem. When trying to decrypt
    the files, I get the message access is denied. I would appreciate any help. I
    really need these files.

    "maritimegal" wrote:

    > "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:
    >
    > > What did you encrypt the files with, MS Word or XPs EFS encryption
    > > protocol?
    > >
    > > XP EFS encryption. I am able to remove the folder encryption, but not at the file level.

    This link may help:-
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

    "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:

    > This link may help:-
    > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech
    >
    > Thank you for your reply, unfortunately this seems to only apply to Windows XP Home, I have Windows XP Pro and do not have a security tab.

    This is what happens after I right-click and choose Properties, I click on
    the Advanced tab and try to remove the encryption.
    An error occurred applying attributes to the file: Access is denied.
    My choices then are Ignore, Ignore All, Retry and Cancel.

    When I try opening the file, I get an access is denied message.

    I really appreciate the help you have provided thus far and hope that you
    are able to come up with a solution. I will be unemployed as of tomorrow and
    need to access my resumes.

    Thank you,

    Paula

    I am assuming here that you encrypted the files using the EFS service
    that is part of XP, if that is the case and you did not create a
    Recovery Agent and saved and exported the various keys and certificates
    then I am afraid that your chances of unencrypting your data is
    vanishingly small.

    The following two links (I have used the TinyURL service found at
    http://tinyurl.com/ to reduuce the size of the link addresses) may give
    you more insight into EFS.
    http://tinyurl.com/4ucsp
    http://tinyurl.com/9xmvk

    Yes, I was using EFS. I did this a few months ago and am not sure exactly
    what I did at the time. I don't have time to read all the information
    tonight, but I thank you for providing it. I will read it during the next few
    days. If you don't mind, I may have to ask you some more questions.

    "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:

    > I am assuming here that you encrypted the files using the EFS service
    > that is part of XP, if that is the case and you did not create a
    > Recovery Agent and saved and exported the various keys and certificates
    > then I am afraid that your chances of unencrypting your data is
    > vanishingly small.
    >
    > The following two links (I have used the TinyURL service found at
    > http://tinyurl.com/ to reduuce the size of the link addresses) may give
    > you more insight into EFS.
    > http://tinyurl.com/4ucsp
    > http://tinyurl.com/9xmvk