Stay away from Gainward's GeForce 2 GTS/400!!

G

I installed this piece of [-peep-] "Gayward" card on two computers. Both have an ASUS A7M266 mobo, one with a 19" Samsung Syncmaster, the other with an older 17" MAG. With the GTS/400 both monitors flicker in a strange and really annoying way: There are lines,like waves, running from side to side or up and down visible on the monitor. And yes, both are running at 85Hz(checked),also tried at lower refresh rates, still same problem(or even worse!).Also tried different resolutions and in some it flickers more, in others less.Both are also running the newest BIOS for the A7M266 and i have tried several different drivers: Different versions of Detonator3 as well as the Gainward drivers.So after spending a hell of a lot of time wondering which components were broken and finding no solution, i took an Asus V7700 from my other PC and tested it on the A7M266/19"Syncmaster: no problems at all with this one!
Right after this i put one of the GTS/400 cards in my other PC(the one i took the Asus V7700 from, running on an Asus A7V mobo)
and experienced the same problem again: "Waves" running on the monitor, this time not so bad, but still annoying!
Conclusion: The problem is caused by the GTS/400 as both GTS/400 cards cause the same nice "side effect" (Both can't be broken right?)and with the other video card the new PC worked great.
The Gainward Cardexpert GeForce 2 GTS/400 is a truly [-peep-] up card. Stay away from this piece of [-peep-] or you will suffer! :-(

Sidhartha

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
Mmm. Should have heeded the warning. Same problem. D3d test in dx diag locks up my monitor too. Expert tool lists my user name as my version of d3d. 2d works, but no 3d. Some games won't even launch. I have Geforce 2 Pro/450.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Sidhartha on 08/30/01 08:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>