Document Recovery

August 9, 2005 3:37:00 PM

I had the document on my desktop as a shortcut and I would just open it make
changes save and close it. My secretary saved something from her computer on
a disk put it on my computer and now all of my shortcut documents are erased
back to Feb. The only thing I can figure is the info on the disk was from
Feb. and there fore she saved over my information on the shortcut. The
changes
I had made to the shortcut and saved and closed is the information I am
trying to retrieve. Do you know if there is a way to do this?

More about : document recovery

August 9, 2005 11:22:40 PM

The shortcut on your desktop is just that. The document itself should be
located in your "my documents" folder or even on a network drive. It sounds
like you are a business so don't you have any regular backups??. You need to
look in the location of your saved documents, your secretary could only
overwrite your document if she saved it to the same location and it had the
same name.
You also don't say what program you are using for this "document".

Neil.

"jodi" <jodi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had the document on my desktop as a shortcut and I would just open it
>make
> changes save and close it. My secretary saved something from her computer
> on
> a disk put it on my computer and now all of my shortcut documents are
> erased
> back to Feb. The only thing I can figure is the info on the disk was from
> Feb. and there fore she saved over my information on the shortcut. The
> changes
> I had made to the shortcut and saved and closed is the information I am
> trying to retrieve. Do you know if there is a way to do this?

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 11:22:41 PM

My secretary tried to fix the problem and has recovered my computer back to
it's original state. I can not open anything in my documents now b/c it has
an "e" beside it like is trying to open through the internet. I do not really
know what she has done I was out of the office. Can you please tell me how
check my network drive so I can look for it there. I used Microsoft Works for
this document.

"neil" wrote:

> The shortcut on your desktop is just that. The document itself should be
> located in your "my documents" folder or even on a network drive. It sounds
> like you are a business so don't you have any regular backups??. You need to
> look in the location of your saved documents, your secretary could only
> overwrite your document if she saved it to the same location and it had the
> same name.
> You also don't say what program you are using for this "document".
>
> Neil.
>
> "jodi" <jodi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had the document on my desktop as a shortcut and I would just open it
> >make
> > changes save and close it. My secretary saved something from her computer
> > on
> > a disk put it on my computer and now all of my shortcut documents are
> > erased
> > back to Feb. The only thing I can figure is the info on the disk was from
> > Feb. and there fore she saved over my information on the shortcut. The
> > changes
> > I had made to the shortcut and saved and closed is the information I am
> > trying to retrieve. Do you know if there is a way to do this?

August 10, 2005 12:43:05 AM

The "e" icon suggest the file is trying to open using internet explorer,
have you tried double clicking a file.
If it is internet explorer then the file association is wrong for that file
type, can you open "Works" and using the command "file>open" can you browse
your drives. If you cannot open "Works" then it is no longer installed
correctly and needs to be re-installed. Perhaps the computers "original
state" was without MS Works, so you will need your install CD.

Not knowing how you network is setup I would have thought your network drive
would be shown under a separate drive letter, perhaps "I", you would need to
check through "my computer" or "windows explorer". (or check with the system
administrator)

!