  • Microsoft
  • Dell
  • Windows XP
August 9, 2005 3:55:29 PM

Microsoft Word came with my Dell laptop. Now, I have had to reload Word on
another one of my computers, and it won't let me open Word with out putting
in the "product Key". I can not find the product key anywhere. I know it is
supposed to be on the outside sleeve of the CD package, but it is not.
Microsoft said to contact Dell, and Dell said to contact Microsoft. HELP!

More about : product key microsoft word

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 6:03:28 PM

Word came as OEM. Dell is the OEM. If it was a retail version, MS could
help. But they are right. Dell is the one responsible.

Tom
"marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Microsoft Word came with my Dell laptop. Now, I have had to reload Word
on
| another one of my computers, and it won't let me open Word with out
putting
| in the "product Key". I can not find the product key anywhere. I know it
is
| supposed to be on the outside sleeve of the CD package, but it is not.
| Microsoft said to contact Dell, and Dell said to contact Microsoft. HELP!
August 9, 2005 9:44:35 PM

In news:FA16CF03-F752-48B5-99D6-FBC69E344F3C@microsoft.com,
marshur <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Microsoft Word came with my Dell laptop. Now, I have had to reload
> Word on another one of my computers, and it won't let me open Word
> with out putting in the "product Key". I can not find the product
> key anywhere. I know it is supposed to be on the outside sleeve of
> the CD package, but it is not. Microsoft said to contact Dell, and
> Dell said to contact Microsoft. HELP!

Why you need the magic jellybean of course... Assuming that what you want to
do isn't hampered by your OEM licensing... You're allowed to install Office
on a desktop and a laptop normally and I have no reason to think such isn't
the case with an OEM installation but you should read the EULA to ensure
you're not violating the terms.

You will want the beta version because the other doesn't support the 2003
yet and I have no idea which one you have installed so use the beta.

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/kfbeta.shtml

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
Related resources
August 9, 2005 11:08:54 PM

If Word came with your Dell Laptop as OEM you do not have a license to
install it on another PC.

Neil
"marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft Word came with my Dell laptop. Now, I have had to reload Word
> on
> another one of my computers, and it won't let me open Word with out
> putting
> in the "product Key". I can not find the product key anywhere. I know it
> is
> supposed to be on the outside sleeve of the CD package, but it is not.
> Microsoft said to contact Dell, and Dell said to contact Microsoft. HELP!
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 11:08:55 PM

Bring up Word and go Help>About Microsoft Word and product ID will be
listed.
August 10, 2005 12:17:07 AM

"marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft Word came with my Dell laptop. Now, I have had to reload Word
> on
> another one of my computers, and it won't let me open Word with out
> putting
> in the "product Key". I can not find the product key anywhere. I know it
> is
> supposed to be on the outside sleeve of the CD package, but it is not.
> Microsoft said to contact Dell, and Dell said to contact Microsoft. HELP!

This will help you find your key if word is still installed on the old
computer.
August 10, 2005 12:17:08 AM

Bud,

OMG, that worked. I have been working on this all day!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
marsha

"bud" wrote:

> "marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Microsoft Word came with my Dell laptop. Now, I have had to reload Word
> > on
> > another one of my computers, and it won't let me open Word with out
> > putting
> > in the "product Key". I can not find the product key anywhere. I know it
> > is
> > supposed to be on the outside sleeve of the CD package, but it is not.
> > Microsoft said to contact Dell, and Dell said to contact Microsoft. HELP!
>
> This will help you find your key if word is still installed on the old
> computer.
> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

August 10, 2005 12:17:08 AM

In news:7b8Ke.23029$%M5.14042@fe04.news.easynews.com,
bud <budman@nospam.com> had this to say:

> "marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Microsoft Word came with my Dell laptop. Now, I have had to reload
>> Word on
>> another one of my computers, and it won't let me open Word with out
>> putting
>> in the "product Key". I can not find the product key anywhere. I
>> know it is
>> supposed to be on the outside sleeve of the CD package, but it is
>> not. Microsoft said to contact Dell, and Dell said to contact
>> Microsoft. HELP!
>
> This will help you find your key if word is still installed on the old
> computer.
> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Just a bit of an update - the regular one doesn't seem to want to work with
Office 2k3... The beta does and hasn't broken anything yet though I haven't
used it to change a key or anything. Figured I'd ping you and let you know.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:26:15 PM

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in:

> Bring up Word and go Help>About Microsoft Word and product ID will be
> listed.

Correct, however the OP doe not need the product ID, he/she needs the CD key
to install the program and that will not be visible.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<d_r_norton@yahoo.com>

sorryyy this isn't a reply but i can't work out how to ask a question any other way, so i just wanted to know what to do because when i go on microsoft word & type my product key in, it says it's wrong, then it won't let me type anything when i click cancel.
Anonymous
February 3, 2009 7:50:10 AM

Quote:
sorryyy this isn't a reply but i can't work out how to ask a question any other way, so i just wanted to know what to do because when i go on microsoft word & type my product key in, it says it's wrong, then it won't let me type anything when i click cancel.

That's what happened to me! OMG!
I type in the key (which is on the bottom of my laptop on a sticker) and it says it's wrong!
So I kept clicking cancel and using Microsoft and somehow it worked but now I can't type anything at all!
And I can't even copy and paste what I had saved! HELP! lol

October 28, 2009 2:59:13 AM

Where the heck is this secret product key!? I keep trying to do products and every freaking time it keeps asking for my product key i don't have one and it's annoying, help.
October 28, 2009 3:00:56 AM

oops i mean projects! Stupid WORD
October 28, 2009 2:46:17 PM

You have a product key. It should have come included somewhere in your packaging if it came with the computer. That is, unless you have a trial version of Office installed. If you have the 60-day trial, then you must purchase the product from MS to receive a product key.
Anonymous
July 12, 2010 5:06:46 AM

i located my product key on the back of my laptop but it does not work i just purchase this laptop a couple days ago can't get into microsoft word
July 12, 2010 6:04:04 PM

Quote:
i located my product key on the back of my laptop but it does not work i just purchase this laptop a couple days ago can't get into microsoft word

They product key on your laptop is for Windows not office. Where did you get the copy of Word from?
July 13, 2010 6:26:47 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!