Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Confused on how to setup 2 wap11's

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • Internet
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 20, 2004 1:38:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I just purchased 2 wap11 2.8's I want to extend my existing wireless
networks range with them.. Here is my setup


Network in recroom
connected to Net using bef11sr

I get a very weak signal in my living room from the wef11sr..

can I plug one wap11 into the bef11sr and place the other in the living room
for wireless clients to access?


What would I set each wap11 to? When I look at the diagram in the linksys
manual. the last pic under wireless repeater looks exactly like what I want.

More about : confused setup wap11

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 20, 2004 11:50:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

>What would I set each wap11 to? When I look at the diagram in the linksys
>manual. the last pic under wireless repeater looks exactly like what I want.
Same SSID and WEP settings on both.
Perhaps same channel on both. I can't remember. Otherwise at least
five channels apart (eg. 1,6,11).
Set WAP1 on Acces Point mode.
Set WAP2 on Repeater mode. Enter MAC of WAP1.
Check the LOG of both machines for results.

Have you tried placing a single WAP somewhere central in your house?
You should try and get at long ethernet cable and look if you can find
a spot that covers the entire house.

I have experimented with the repeater mode several times, and thus far
not been impressed.
- It's unstable. Shuts down the entire WLAN from time to time. Reboot
of WAPs necesary.
- Clients tend to connect randomly, and not to the one carrying the
strongest signal. This can be helped using MAC-filtering and only
allowing clients on one WAP.

The correct option when roaming is to use both WAPs in Access Point
mode with different channels (at least five channels apart). With this
setup both WAPs need to be connected to your switch. This requires a
long cable to reach your living room. I'm using this setup happily.

Good luck ;-)

/Jan
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 22, 2004 9:08:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

would WAP1 be the wap that is attached to the wired network... while WAP2 is
the wap that is just sitting in another room?
"Jan Bachman" <jamen@davs.du> wrote in message
news:g9goa0t56acdgcdgeopcfji6fv05n08gak@4ax.com...
> >What would I set each wap11 to? When I look at the diagram in the
linksys
> >manual. the last pic under wireless repeater looks exactly like what I
want.
> Same SSID and WEP settings on both.
> Perhaps same channel on both. I can't remember. Otherwise at least
> five channels apart (eg. 1,6,11).
> Set WAP1 on Acces Point mode.
> Set WAP2 on Repeater mode. Enter MAC of WAP1.
> Check the LOG of both machines for results.
>
> Have you tried placing a single WAP somewhere central in your house?
> You should try and get at long ethernet cable and look if you can find
> a spot that covers the entire house.
>
> I have experimented with the repeater mode several times, and thus far
> not been impressed.
> - It's unstable. Shuts down the entire WLAN from time to time. Reboot
> of WAPs necesary.
> - Clients tend to connect randomly, and not to the one carrying the
> strongest signal. This can be helped using MAC-filtering and only
> allowing clients on one WAP.
>
> The correct option when roaming is to use both WAPs in Access Point
> mode with different channels (at least five channels apart). With this
> setup both WAPs need to be connected to your switch. This requires a
> long cable to reach your living room. I'm using this setup happily.
>
> Good luck ;-)
>
> /Jan




----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 23, 2004 11:29:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

>would WAP1 be the wap that is attached to the wired network... while WAP2 is
>the wap that is just sitting in another room?
Yes.

/Jan
!