*Ping* Maurice N MVP (PC Wont Boot)

Hi Maurice

On your last post you asked me to send more info, but I hadn't heard from
you so I've pasted the info here incase you missed it.
Don't worry if you can't help further, your earlier input was quite
welcomed. I've added my original postings at the bottom if you
need to review.

Thanks...

-----
My Set-up;

WinXP Home (SP1)...1.4ghz...512DDR ram

2.X... Maxtor DiamondMax plus 9 HDD's...One ATA 80gb with *OS* on...One SATA
250gb for *storage* on an Adaptec SataConnect PCI controller card.
2.X...Liteon DVD/RW...1633s & 1673s
1.X...Floppy Drive

C:\ 80gb ATA Eide primary Master...Winxp OS on...NTFS...Vol Name: Apps
D:\ DVD/RW Eide Secondary...Master
E:\ DVD/RW Eide Secondary...Slave
F:\ 250gb SATA on PCI Card...Master...For storage...NTFS...Vol Name:
Storage...I relocated "My Documents" folder onto this drive.
These HDD's are 2 separate Physical hard drives

I installed the Sata HDD about 5 months ago. I notice a lot of people like
to rearrange the drive letters, but everything was ok so it didn't bother me
to leave it as F:\. I do a lot of converting of .avi files to .vob files
on this drive, and must have deleted about 250gb worth of data in that time
and thought it's time to defragment both HDD's, "which I did" and use the
error checking tool, so I decided to do the F:\ drive first,...( My Computer
/ Right click on F:\ / properties / Tools / Error-Checking / Check Now ) As
you know this then has to reboot in order to start the process, and that's
when I got the blue screen 0X24, which my guess, after researching a bit,
was because the drive was heavily fragmented.

I've tried un-seating, re-seating, recovery console, which error checked and
fixed errors on my C:\ drive, but cannot do my F:\ drive, even with
different combination of "CHKDSK :F /P ...:F/P...:F / P... :F /
R...etc..etc. I even unplugged the SATA drive from my PC and Booted up with
my C:\ drive that's running ok, then hot plugged my SATA drive back in, only
to get the blue screen after a minute or two.
I've been corresponding to you from a laptop, but now I'm back on my PC with
the SATA HDD removed. I done a virus scan using "Sysclean" from Trendmicro
turned off sys restore scanned in safe mode, rebooted scanned again, this
time it found and removed a trojan "JS_FORTNIGHT.M" A low risk virus which
changes home page etc...etc. Which wouldn't have caused this.

I read somewhere that you can install the SATA drive into a Fat32 system and
try a fix from there somehow? or something else I seen was BartPE??
Sorry if it's a bit vague, anyway I hope the information I've supplied can
shed some light on the situation.

--
Regards
p.mc

For personal replies please leave or type signature
"p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
posts will not be received.
Thanks

*My Original Postings*

p.mc wrote:
> Hi Maurice
>
> When I re-seated the SATA PCI card, It was connected to port
> (1...primary) on the 2 port connectors, which is for the F:\ Storage
> drive. And noticing I couldn't get CHKDSK to run on the F:\ Storage
> drive, I then swapped to port (2...secondary) and re-run CHDSK :F/P
> This time it ran, but I noticed it stated "Apps " which is actually
> my (C) drive instead of (F) doubtless to say it didn't fix the
> problem so it's back on
> (port 1)
> Is there still a solution or should I give up and take it to a repair
> shop, I really hope it doesn't come to that, because they will
> probably want to take the easy option and reformat.
>

> Please type in p.mc in personal replies
> or leave signature otherwise posts will
> not be recieved
>
> Regards
> p.mc

Howdy. I'll take a look this evening.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

p.mc wrote:
> Hi Maurice
>
> On your last post you asked me to send more info, but I hadn't heard
> from you so I've pasted the info here incase you missed it.
> Don't worry if you can't help further, your earlier input was quite
> welcomed. I've added my original postings at the bottom if you
> need to review.
>
> Thanks...

Suggestion when you do run CHKDSK at the Recovery Console. Refer to the drive in question by its Volume Name instead of by drive letter. In your case, use CHKDSK storage: /p

It is likely your Storage drive is assigned a different letter from F while operating in Recovery Console.
HTH
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

p.mc wrote:
> [...]
>> you any suggestions or a workaround? I would appreciate the advice
>> as I thought we had it cracked, only to fall at the last fence.
>
> p.mc wrote:
>> Hi Maurice
>>
>> When I re-seated the SATA PCI card, It was connected to port
>> (1...primary) on the 2 port connectors, which is for the F:\ Storage
>> drive. And noticing I couldn't get CHKDSK to run on the F:\ Storage
>> drive, I then swapped to port (2...secondary) and re-run CHDSK :F/P
>> This time it ran, but I noticed it stated "Apps " which is actually
>> my (C) drive instead of (F) doubtless to say it didn't fix the
>> problem so it's back on
>> (port 1)
>> Is there still a solution or should I give up and take it to a repair
>> shop, I really hope it doesn't come to that, because they will
>> probably want to take the easy option and reformat.

Hi Maurice

I've been away for a couple of days, so thanks for the response.
I actually tried that, but I'll give it another go in different variations,
I'll have to pop the HDD back in as I've uninstalled it so I could use this
PC.
I'll let you know how it turns out.