I am notice in my control panel in the Add and Remove section. there are the
following entries:
Java 2 Runtime Environment SE.v.1.40 0.68MB
Java 2 Runtime Environment SE.v.1.42.05 108MB
Java Web Start 1.75MB

As I short of both cash and computer space my question is can I safely
delete any or all of the above. I have only 700MB space left on my 4GB hard
drive so another 170MB would be great.
Thanks in advance

Yes, you can delete those items, but afterward you
need to install the latest version of Java.

JAVA SOFTWARE FOR WINDOWS
http://java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"auntie_biotic" wrote:

| I am notice in my control panel in the Add and Remove section. there are the
| following entries:
| Java 2 Runtime Environment SE.v.1.40 0.68MB
| Java 2 Runtime Environment SE.v.1.42.05 108MB
| Java Web Start 1.75MB
|
| As I short of both cash and computer space my question is can I safely
| delete any or all of the above. I have only 700MB space left on my 4GB hard
| drive so another 170MB would be great.
| Thanks in advance

Thanks and at only 77KB my computer hard drive diet can begin. Thanks again

"auntie_biotic" <auntie_biotic@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Thanks and at only 77KB my computer hard drive diet can begin. Thanks
> again

If you're trying to clean up your hard disk, and free space, might I
suggest two things that will probably get you more than 77K:

1) download ccleaner from www.ccleaner.com and let it remove stuff. You
may want to keep cookies, history, MRU stuff, etc, but do let it remove
temporary files and temporary internet files. The first time you run it,
it's not unusual for it to remove half a gigabyte or so. Run it on every
account. Ccleaner adds a "run ccleaner" function to the recycle bin
right-click menu. It's a good idea to use it.

2) Open Internet Explorer, and go to Tools, Internet Options. In the
Temporary Internet Files section, click on Settings. Note that the "amount
of disk space to use" setting is probably rather high - often between
several hundred megabytes and a couple of gigabytes. I set mine to 25.

HTH
-pk