Hardware Changes w/o reloading WINXP

BuddhaJones

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2003
Last night I swapped out my 1800XP for a 2500XP and Windows wanted me to reload it. That, IMO, is fricken rediculous! There has to be a way around this. How does this site do multiple precessor reviews, mobo reviews and whatever else? Do you really re-install WINXP for every product?

That's strange, there's no way you should need to reinstall Windows. When and where are these messages appearing?

Barton 2500+, 512MB Corsair Platinum XMS 3200 CL2, Radeon 9700, WD Raptor 10,000 rpm S-ATA HDD, Asus A7V600, Enermax 460W SilentPlus PSU.

Did you clear the CMOS, and reset it, after these changes? You should have, use your manual to find out how.

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
listen to no one, caz there is no one that had the same problem here, just guesses, listen to Windewz XP, they know better ;)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what does CMOS have to do with XP, he installed new CPU for XP that means totally new PC, kapish?

what does CMOS have to do with XP, he installed new CPU for XP that means totally new PC, kapish?

The BIOS recognizes the CPU, which was an AMD XP 1800+, he changed the CPU to an AMD XP2500+, after changing to a completely different CPU, you reset the CMOS so the BIOS can recognize the new CPU with no conflicts, its kinda like erasing a blackboard and starting over.

And I said that because if theres no BIOS conflicts, the Windows XP operating system, should come up normally. Kapish?

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b>

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I believe 4ryan6 is right. I'm certain you'll have to reset cmos here. This may take some time (as mine takes around a half hour, some people have reported alot more) with the battery out and jumpered if need be (see your mobo book for exact details). A new CPU (even as different as those 2 are, ie.not same fsb or multiplier or cache) is still no where near a new PC, as if he had switched say his motherboard with a different one then yes you would almost forsuredly be reinstalling OS. That's a close as you can get to getting a new PC but keeping all the other old components.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=421&s=205efc501496823a64ba7fbd37152ff2" target="_new">Psyko's Rig</A>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
bwahahahaha, lol, shiet, you pplz are making me worder about my ability of thinkability, gg. as far as i know, there is nothing has to be done with the CMOS these days, it avtomaticly detects and sets the speed of CPU when you incert it. mabee i am stupid enough not to know that there are some super pooper mobos out there that you have to spend "half an hour" to yank the battery out of mobo to make it work "right", lol

mabee i am stupid enough not to know that there are some super pooper mobos out there that you have to spend "half an hour" to yank the battery out of mobo to make it work "right", lol

It takes about 30Sec to clear the CMOS, you don't pull the battery out!!! :lol:

{[\_/$?\(?~_^!/***\(\>/!])@"

<b>*****</b><b><font color=purple>Mister Anderson, Welcome Back</font color=purple></b><b>*****</b>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, i was replying to both of yo

<(as mine takes around a half hour, some people have reported alot more)>

read <b>psykoikonov</b>'s post, gg

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
My Asus A7S333 has to be jumpered and battery pulled for CMOS reset and any less than 10 min will not do it. PM your email and I'll send you my mobo manual or get it <A HREF="http://ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/sis745/a7s333/e1265_a7s333.zip" target="_new">here</A> or how bout my friends A7M266D <A HREF="http://ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/760mpx/a7m266-d/a7m266d-103.pdf" target="_new">here</A>. This would only need to be done when changing the CPU NOT when dropping in a new one, completely different one.

Psyko

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=421&s=205efc501496823a64ba7fbd37152ff2" target="_new">Psyko's Rig</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by psykoikonov on 11/11/03 02:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

I looked up your manual, it does say the CMOS battery has to be removed, then move the Clear CMOS jumper for 5 Sec, where do you get 10Min? On my M/B, you don't have to remove the battery, every M/B is different, thats why I mentioned in the beginning for the guy to go by his manual to clear his CMOS, this is such a simple thing to do, why has it turned into a discussion?

<b>*****</b><b>Missster Anderson!,,,Welcome Back!</b><b>*****</b>

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
If only it did work in 5 sec. or 5min. I cleared CMOS enough times on it to know that it takes a while or it just goes back. I usually jump it and walk away, when I come back CMOS is cleared. And yes this is a lengthy discussion over one of the easiest procedures. This is was not directed at you so much as at blah. As he's the one that seems to think they magically reset themselves whenever you change a component.

Psyko

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=421&s=205efc501496823a64ba7fbd37152ff2" target="_new">Psyko's Rig</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by psykoikonov on 11/11/03 07:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Well at least I learned something, I didn't realize any M/Bs today, required removing the battery to clear the CMOS, but yours definitely does according to the M/Bs manual. Have a good one! Later! Ryan

<b>*****</b><b>Missster Anderson!,,,Welcome Back!</b><b>*****</b>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I have built one of the A7S333 systems for one dude a while ago with 1800+ on it, and why I was a little LMAO? that because he invited me for "tee" one time, caz he messed up his BIOS so bad, that it will not even post, so I had to reset his mobo, and all I had to do was just move the jumparr back and forth for a few seconds, that's is. Everything went back to starting position and walla, PC is back to normal, never had problem since ;)

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Not all mobos need the battery removed for a hard clear. You need to remove the main power source (don't have to remove the rtc battery), then there is usually a pinout that need to be closed with a jumper. You wait 30 secs tops, remove the jumper, reconnect the power. Switch on...

But, when you replace memory or ram, you shouldn't need to do that. AFAIK all modern bioses give you a facility to clear the CMOS data + ESCD from the BIOS Setup it self. Thats all you need to do.

And, windows shouldn't complain that you have a new processor, but after clearing the ESCD, windows will usually rescan the hardware. Windows is usually pretty crap at that so you end up with "Canon ..... scanner #2", "Tecom Bluetooth adapter #2", "this hardware #2", "that hardware #2", "you're gonna have a hell of a time making this look neat #2"...

..."What the hell is USB2? I don't understand. Please insert a CD or something that will educate me"...

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<Please insert a CD or something that will educate me>

LOL, I thought XP was built in such way that it always tries to "educate" us, gg

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
"Oh no! you don't wanna close this window now. Just to teach you a lesson, I'll keep the window open and freeze the cursor for a minute or two..."

-Windows XP

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>