Laptop hits 75C when browsing the web...
I have a HP dv6-3050us and the thing over heats like nobody's business. It has always done this but I just recently discovered toms hardware and decided to see if you guys can help me out. Just browsing the internet while having the laptop on a table makes it hit 75C and up. The fans all work and I have cleaned it out for dust but nothing helps. I've tried reducing CPU use but even that doesnt help. When gaming it gets to about 90C. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I doubt it is still under warranty so that means you need to:
1. Fix it yourself.
2. Pay someone to fix it for you.
I am guessing the problem has to do with the thermal paste. It has probably dried up and it no longer conducts heat; instead it is acting like a heat insulator. Replacing the thermal paste for the CPU and GPU is fairly simple. All you really need is 90% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and a lint free cloth to clean off the old thermal paste from the heatsink and CPU/GPU before applying a fresh layer of thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5. All it takes is a small pea size amount for each CPU and GPU.
However, getting to the heatsink means you need to take your laptop apart. Not many people are comfortable doing that and if you are not delicate, you can damage something. Also, if not put back together properly it might not function.
Too add to jaguarkx's excellent post. Found this - talks about clean the fan, but procedure to get to CPU should be the same.
HP » DV Series » DV6-3050us Laptop Fan & Heatsink Installation Replacement Guide
How to Remove Replace and Install Your HP DV Series DV6-3050us Laptop Heatsink Fan
1. Inorder to replace fix or install your new HP DV6-3050us laptop fan and heatsink, you will need to open up your laptop. You can do this by removing the screws from the bottom of the laptop.
2. Once the screws have been removed from the bottom of your laptop, you can now remove the keyboard and plastic bezels from your HP DV6-3050us laptop.
3. You will see your HP DV6-3050us Fan and Heat Skin exposed.
4. Use a screw drivers and remove the screws from you HP DV6-3050us HeatSin Fan.
5. Before reinstalling the new HP DV6-3050us Fan onto your laptop, you can clean the HP DV6-3050us Fan. To clean your Fan and Heatsink, use a can of air and blow out any dirk from your HP DV6-3050us Fan. You can also use a paint brush to clean out the dirt from the hard to get areas. Somtimes cleaning your HP DV6-3050us laptop fan will actually repair it. Dirt can cause the HP DV6-3050us Laptop Fan to make noise and even stop spinning properly.
SEE for additional input: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=2&gs_ri=hp&cp=20&gs_id=n&xhr=t&q=repair+HP+dv6-3050us&es_nrs=true&pf=p&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=repair+HP+dv6-3050us&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42080656,d.b2U&fp=2971ae0ea37985b4&biw=1120&bih=764