You'd think deleting would be easier...

OK- I'm pleading for someone who knows what they're doing... Here's my
dilemma: A former roommate had complete access to my system, Windows XP Home
Edition. Well, along with stealing all of my software, he saved files onto my
hard-drive that I cannot delete. Every time I try it comes up with the
message:

"Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and
that the file is not currently in use."

I have tried going into dos and deleting it that way with no luck. I don't
know how else to dump this... any suggestions??? HELP!!!!
4 answers Last reply
More about deleting easier

    Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Need-A-Pro" wrote:

    | OK- I'm pleading for someone who knows what they're doing... Here's my
    | dilemma: A former roommate had complete access to my system, Windows XP Home
    | Edition. Well, along with stealing all of my software, he saved files onto my
    | hard-drive that I cannot delete. Every time I try it comes up with the
    | message:
    |
    | "Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and
    | that the file is not currently in use."
    |
    | I have tried going into dos and deleting it that way with no luck. I don't
    | know how else to dump this... any suggestions??? HELP!!!!

    Try this and see if it helps.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech
    May I suggest some thing? If this person had full access to your computer
    you may want to consider backing up all your important data and reinstalling
    the OS. You don't know what this person left on your computer such as key
    loggers or other spyware or what kind of porn sites he surfed.

    Use this http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip

    "Need-A-Pro" <Need-A-Pro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > OK- I'm pleading for someone who knows what they're doing... Here's my
    > dilemma: A former roommate had complete access to my system, Windows XP
    > Edition. Well, along with stealing all of my software, he saved files onto
    > my
    > hard-drive that I cannot delete. Every time I try it comes up with the
    > message:
    >
    > "Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and
    > that the file is not currently in use."
    >
    > I have tried going into dos and deleting it that way with no luck. I don't
    > know how else to dump this... any suggestions??? HELP!!!!

    Thank you for the help. I would love to reinstall the os- but he took ALL my
    software- including discs for my other puter. I'm out of the warranty window
    & am hesitant to buy new.
    I did get those files removed... but now I'm having trouble with my monitor:
    (you seem awfully knowledgable about these things... :-) My monitor keeps
    having what sound like power surges. There's a sound like static electricity
    discharging, the screen goes black, and sometimes it comes back fine, other
    times it's shaking like the monitor alone is experiencing an earth-quake, and
    other times I have to press the power button to get it back on. Is this
    normal for a monitor that's outlived it's life? Are these the signs that I
    need to get out and find a new one? Any suggestions?
    I REALLY appreciate your counsel on this. Thank you for your time & attention!

    "Jim" wrote:

    > Try this and see if it helps.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech
    > May I suggest some thing? If this person had full access to your computer
    > you may want to consider backing up all your important data and reinstalling
    > the OS. You don't know what this person left on your computer such as key
    > loggers or other spyware or what kind of porn sites he surfed.
    > "Need-A-Pro" <Need-A-Pro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > OK- I'm pleading for someone who knows what they're doing... Here's my
    > > dilemma: A former roommate had complete access to my system, Windows XP
    > > Edition. Well, along with stealing all of my software, he saved files onto
    > > my
    > > hard-drive that I cannot delete. Every time I try it comes up with the
    > > message:
    > >
    > > "Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and
    > > that the file is not currently in use."
    > >
    > > I have tried going into dos and deleting it that way with no luck. I don't
    > > know how else to dump this... any suggestions??? HELP!!!!

Windows XP