You'd think deleting would be easier...

August 9, 2005 6:40:20 PM

OK- I'm pleading for someone who knows what they're doing... Here's my
dilemma: A former roommate had complete access to my system, Windows XP Home
Edition. Well, along with stealing all of my software, he saved files onto my
hard-drive that I cannot delete. Every time I try it comes up with the
message:

"Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and
that the file is not currently in use."

I have tried going into dos and deleting it that way with no luck. I don't
know how else to dump this... any suggestions??? HELP!!!!

More about : deleting easier

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:02:47 PM

Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Need-A-Pro" wrote:

| OK- I'm pleading for someone who knows what they're doing... Here's my
| dilemma: A former roommate had complete access to my system, Windows XP Home
| Edition. Well, along with stealing all of my software, he saved files onto my
| hard-drive that I cannot delete. Every time I try it comes up with the
| message:
|
| "Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and
| that the file is not currently in use."
|
| I have tried going into dos and deleting it that way with no luck. I don't
| know how else to dump this... any suggestions??? HELP!!!!
August 9, 2005 10:02:26 PM

Try this and see if it helps.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech
May I suggest some thing? If this person had full access to your computer
you may want to consider backing up all your important data and reinstalling
the OS. You don't know what this person left on your computer such as key
loggers or other spyware or what kind of porn sites he surfed.
"Need-A-Pro" <Need-A-Pro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK- I'm pleading for someone who knows what they're doing... Here's my
> dilemma: A former roommate had complete access to my system, Windows XP
> Edition. Well, along with stealing all of my software, he saved files onto
> my
> hard-drive that I cannot delete. Every time I try it comes up with the
> message:
>
> "Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and
> that the file is not currently in use."
>
> I have tried going into dos and deleting it that way with no luck. I don't
> know how else to dump this... any suggestions??? HELP!!!!
August 10, 2005 4:48:38 AM

Use this http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip

"Need-A-Pro" <Need-A-Pro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK- I'm pleading for someone who knows what they're doing... Here's my
> dilemma: A former roommate had complete access to my system, Windows XP
> Edition. Well, along with stealing all of my software, he saved files onto
> my
> hard-drive that I cannot delete. Every time I try it comes up with the
> message:
>
> "Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and
> that the file is not currently in use."
>
> I have tried going into dos and deleting it that way with no luck. I don't
> know how else to dump this... any suggestions??? HELP!!!!
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:25:03 PM

Thank you for the help. I would love to reinstall the os- but he took ALL my
software- including discs for my other puter. I'm out of the warranty window
& am hesitant to buy new.
I did get those files removed... but now I'm having trouble with my monitor:
(you seem awfully knowledgable about these things... :-) My monitor keeps
having what sound like power surges. There's a sound like static electricity
discharging, the screen goes black, and sometimes it comes back fine, other
times it's shaking like the monitor alone is experiencing an earth-quake, and
other times I have to press the power button to get it back on. Is this
normal for a monitor that's outlived it's life? Are these the signs that I
need to get out and find a new one? Any suggestions?
I REALLY appreciate your counsel on this. Thank you for your time & attention!

!