Suddenly can no longer validate! Got Genuine article!

Hello, Please can any expert help me? I have a genuine Windows XP Pro given
to me by my son with a PID 55274-OEM-0012103-24251 and label to stick on the
box etc I installed, activated and validated no problems back in February 05

I have since had 15 windows hot fixes between 4th March 05 and 15th April
05, and 7 security updates between 17th June 05 and 13th July 05. So
obviously all was working fine.

Now this month I was checking for updates when a script came up saying It
cannot validate as the PID was not one issued by Microsoft Yet it was working
2 months ago! The only new thing in that time has been a UPS added to my
setup.

Please can anybody who knows about these things help me? Thank you for
reading this. An Ignoramous!
--
Igor
4 answers Last reply

    Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools/Internet Options/programs/manage
    add-ons and disable Genuine Microsoft Validation Tool, close explorer and
    you should be able to update.

    "Igor Quasimodo" wrote:

    > Hello, Please can any expert help me? I have a genuine Windows XP Pro given
    > to me by my son with a PID 55274-OEM-0012103-24251 and label to stick on the
    > box etc I installed, activated and validated no problems back in February 05
    >
    > I have since had 15 windows hot fixes between 4th March 05 and 15th April
    > 05, and 7 security updates between 17th June 05 and 13th July 05. So
    > obviously all was working fine.
    >
    > Now this month I was checking for updates when a script came up saying It
    > cannot validate as the PID was not one issued by Microsoft Yet it was working
    > 2 months ago! The only new thing in that time has been a UPS added to my
    > setup.
    >
    > Please can anybody who knows about these things help me? Thank you for
    > reading this. An Ignoramous!
    > --
    > Igor

    Jerryrock,

    Your answer worked a treat! Thank you very vary much. I still cannot figure
    out why it would not update normally but now I am up to date it no longer
    matters! Once again, many thanks, Mike
    --
    Igor

    "jerryrock" wrote:

    > Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools/Internet Options/programs/manage
    > add-ons and disable Genuine Microsoft Validation Tool, close explorer and
    > you should be able to update.
    >
    > "Igor Quasimodo" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello, Please can any expert help me? I have a genuine Windows XP Pro given
    > > to me by my son with a PID 55274-OEM-0012103-24251 and label to stick on the
    > > box etc I installed, activated and validated no problems back in February 05
    > >
    > > I have since had 15 windows hot fixes between 4th March 05 and 15th April
    > > 05, and 7 security updates between 17th June 05 and 13th July 05. So
    > > obviously all was working fine.
    > >
    > > Now this month I was checking for updates when a script came up saying It
    > > cannot validate as the PID was not one issued by Microsoft Yet it was working
    > > 2 months ago! The only new thing in that time has been a UPS added to my
    > > setup.
    > >
    > > Please can anybody who knows about these things help me? Thank you for
    > > reading this. An Ignoramous!
    > > --
    > > Igor

    lots of people are having difficulties
    might visit micosoft.public.windowsupdate
    OE menu, Message will allow you to cancel this message
    probably shouldn't post pid#

    "Igor Quasimodo" <IgorQuasimodo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, Please can any expert help me? I have a genuine Windows XP Pro
    > given
    > to me by my son with a PID 55274-OEM-0012103-24251 and label to stick on
    > the
    > box etc I installed, activated and validated no problems back in February
    > 05
    >
    > I have since had 15 windows hot fixes between 4th March 05 and 15th April
    > 05, and 7 security updates between 17th June 05 and 13th July 05. So
    > obviously all was working fine.
    >
    > Now this month I was checking for updates when a script came up saying It
    > cannot validate as the PID was not one issued by Microsoft Yet it was
    > working
    > 2 months ago! The only new thing in that time has been a UPS added to my
    > setup.
    >
    > Please can anybody who knows about these things help me? Thank you for
    > reading this. An Ignoramous!
    > --
    > Igor

    Bumtracks,

    Thanks for your advice. "Jerryrock" posted an answer which worked for me
    although I stil do not know the reason why I could no longer update. Stil now
    I am up to date. I take you point about PID> once again thank you. Mike
    --
    Igor

    "bumtracks" wrote:

    > lots of people are having difficulties
    > might visit micosoft.public.windowsupdate
    > OE menu, Message will allow you to cancel this message
    > probably shouldn't post pid#
    >
    > "Igor Quasimodo" <IgorQuasimodo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello, Please can any expert help me? I have a genuine Windows XP Pro
    > > given
    > > to me by my son with a PID 55274-OEM-0012103-24251 and label to stick on
    > > the
    > > box etc I installed, activated and validated no problems back in February
    > > 05
    > >
    > > I have since had 15 windows hot fixes between 4th March 05 and 15th April
    > > 05, and 7 security updates between 17th June 05 and 13th July 05. So
    > > obviously all was working fine.
    > >
    > > Now this month I was checking for updates when a script came up saying It
    > > cannot validate as the PID was not one issued by Microsoft Yet it was
    > > working
    > > 2 months ago! The only new thing in that time has been a UPS added to my
    > > setup.
    > >
    > > Please can anybody who knows about these things help me? Thank you for
    > > reading this. An Ignoramous!
    > > --
    > > Igor

Microsoft Windows XP