Suddenly can no longer validate! Got Genuine article!

August 9, 2005 8:34:02 PM

Hello, Please can any expert help me? I have a genuine Windows XP Pro given
to me by my son with a PID 55274-OEM-0012103-24251 and label to stick on the
box etc I installed, activated and validated no problems back in February 05

I have since had 15 windows hot fixes between 4th March 05 and 15th April
05, and 7 security updates between 17th June 05 and 13th July 05. So
obviously all was working fine.

Now this month I was checking for updates when a script came up saying It
cannot validate as the PID was not one issued by Microsoft Yet it was working
2 months ago! The only new thing in that time has been a UPS added to my
setup.

Please can anybody who knows about these things help me? Thank you for
reading this. An Ignoramous!
--
Igor
Anonymous

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools/Internet Options/programs/manage
add-ons and disable Genuine Microsoft Validation Tool, close explorer and
you should be able to update.

"Igor Quasimodo" wrote:

> Hello, Please can any expert help me? I have a genuine Windows XP Pro given
> to me by my son with a PID 55274-OEM-0012103-24251 and label to stick on the
> box etc I installed, activated and validated no problems back in February 05
>
> I have since had 15 windows hot fixes between 4th March 05 and 15th April
> 05, and 7 security updates between 17th June 05 and 13th July 05. So
> obviously all was working fine.
>
> Now this month I was checking for updates when a script came up saying It
> cannot validate as the PID was not one issued by Microsoft Yet it was working
> 2 months ago! The only new thing in that time has been a UPS added to my
> setup.
>
> Please can anybody who knows about these things help me? Thank you for
> reading this. An Ignoramous!
> --
> Igor
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:47:01 AM

Jerryrock,

Your answer worked a treat! Thank you very vary much. I still cannot figure
out why it would not update normally but now I am up to date it no longer
matters! Once again, many thanks, Mike
--
Igor

"jerryrock" wrote:

> Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools/Internet Options/programs/manage
> add-ons and disable Genuine Microsoft Validation Tool, close explorer and
> you should be able to update.
>
> "Igor Quasimodo" wrote:
>
> > Hello, Please can any expert help me? I have a genuine Windows XP Pro given
> > to me by my son with a PID 55274-OEM-0012103-24251 and label to stick on the
> > box etc I installed, activated and validated no problems back in February 05
> >
> > I have since had 15 windows hot fixes between 4th March 05 and 15th April
> > 05, and 7 security updates between 17th June 05 and 13th July 05. So
> > obviously all was working fine.
> >
> > Now this month I was checking for updates when a script came up saying It
> > cannot validate as the PID was not one issued by Microsoft Yet it was working
> > 2 months ago! The only new thing in that time has been a UPS added to my
> > setup.
> >
> > Please can anybody who knows about these things help me? Thank you for
> > reading this. An Ignoramous!
> > --
> > Igor
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 5:28:38 AM

lots of people are having difficulties
might visit micosoft.public.windowsupdate
OE menu, Message will allow you to cancel this message
probably shouldn't post pid#

"Igor Quasimodo" <IgorQuasimodo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, Please can any expert help me? I have a genuine Windows XP Pro
> given
> to me by my son with a PID 55274-OEM-0012103-24251 and label to stick on
> the
> box etc I installed, activated and validated no problems back in February
> 05
>
> I have since had 15 windows hot fixes between 4th March 05 and 15th April
> 05, and 7 security updates between 17th June 05 and 13th July 05. So
> obviously all was working fine.
>
> Now this month I was checking for updates when a script came up saying It
> cannot validate as the PID was not one issued by Microsoft Yet it was
> working
> 2 months ago! The only new thing in that time has been a UPS added to my
> setup.
>
> Please can anybody who knows about these things help me? Thank you for
> reading this. An Ignoramous!
> --
> Igor
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 5:28:39 AM

Bumtracks,

Thanks for your advice. "Jerryrock" posted an answer which worked for me
although I stil do not know the reason why I could no longer update. Stil now
I am up to date. I take you point about PID> once again thank you. Mike
--
Igor

!