Converting wired LAN to wireless LAN

Hello everyone,

I don't know anything about wireless technology so please bear with me if
this is a stupid question.

I have a LAN handled through a Linksys BEFSR41 and a DSL modem with a
couple PCs. I am tired of plugin the laptop into the LAn when I get home
and would like to work in a different room.

Can I just add a wireless access point to my existing setup or do I need
to replace the BEFSR41 with a wireless version of the product? I somehow
think this does not make sense but I need to confirm that I can just plug
in an additional device and get working. Any suggestions on the wireless
device would be more than appreciated.

Regards,
PDR
3 answers Last reply
More about converting wired wireless

    PDR wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I don't know anything about wireless technology so please bear with me
    > if this is a stupid question.
    >
    > I have a LAN handled through a Linksys BEFSR41 and a DSL modem with a
    > couple PCs. I am tired of plugin the laptop into the LAn when I get
    > home and would like to work in a different room.
    >
    > Can I just add a wireless access point to my existing setup or do I
    > need to replace the BEFSR41 with a wireless version of the product? I
    > somehow think this does not make sense but I need to confirm that I
    > can just plug in an additional device and get working. Any suggestions
    > on the wireless device would be more than appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > PDR

    A wireless router is just a router with a AP built in. Yes. Just plug an
    AP into the router.

    > A wireless router is just a router with a AP built in. Yes. Just plug an
    > AP into the router.

    Thanks for the quick reply. WAP11 here I come. ;o)

    Taking a moment's reflection, PDR mused:

    | Thanks for the quick reply. WAP11 here I come. ;o)

    I would recommend the WAP54G. I added it to my BEFSR41 (for the exact
    same reason you want to), and it works a treat. Plus, you get WPA support,
    and don't have to worry about WEP security holes ... assuming you have a 11G
    card in your laptop. But, if you don't, it still supports 11b and WEP, and
    you can get a G card later.

Wireless LAN Wireless Lan Wireless Networking