Windows 7 Retail Boxes Showing Up in Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Nice move of the shop empoyee. Hope they don't get caught;p

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
going to the campus computer store to pick one up today! they told me they wouldn't have windows 7 for students until November or December but I called today and they have it in stock!

looks like I will be running a major date back up today...

skykaptain

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]going to the campus computer store to pick one up today! they told me they wouldn't have windows 7 for students until November or December but I called today and they have it in stock![/citation]

I Dl'ed mine from MSDN a month ago. Lov'n it so far.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Waiting for my Pre-order keys, which I suppose I won't get even a second early.

Maybe Win 7 64-bit will be better with the driver support than Win XP Pro x64.

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Same here with the MSDN for my D630 work laptop. Tried both Enterprise x86 and Ultimate x64 and both installed in less than 30 minutes with all drivers accounted for. Pretty impressed so far also...

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
That's allright I already got a genuine key through legitimate channels. It's a real good operating system and I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm glad to finally ditch XP, it just feels old.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
hellwig, driver support for Win7x64 is much better than it was for XP64, although ironically you have Vista64 to thank for that.

That just got me thinking of something....

Despite it's unpopularity, Vista it helped to bring 64-bit to the mainstream. Yea I know there were other 64-bit OS's out first, but how much did they really impact mainstream acceptance of 64-bit programming?. If it wasn't for Vista, hardware manufacturers would still only be making 32-bit drivers. That was part of Vista's problem when it first hit - hardware manufacturers dragging their feet getting new drivers programmed for it.

dirtykid

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Waiting for my Pre-order keys, which I suppose I won't get even a second early.Maybe Win 7 64-bit will be better with the driver support than Win XP Pro x64.[/citation]

Having used the RC for many months: yes driver support is better (Nvidia was super early with WDDM 1.1), but some older printers / scanners likely still don't work x64.

tmax

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
I am sure there are some marketing reasons for not releasing Win 7 early. I would think all of us the pre-ordered it should be able to get it now.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]That's allright I already got a genuine key through legitimate channels. It's a real good operating system and I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm glad to finally ditch XP, it just feels old.[/citation]
I recently got one as well. I did a clean install of the RTM Windows 7 Professional on my HP Pavilion 9700, overwriting the OEM install of Windows Vista. What a difference! It used to take several minutes to get to the point where I could do something with the computer. It took about 2 minutes for Vista to load, then a couple more minutes for all the crap that HP has pre-loaded into the system (which I disabled). Windows 7 Pro... 15 seconds from power on to the Windows password screen! After I enter the password, another 5 seconds and it's ready to go. It's clean and fast. So far, no compatibility issues with any of my software or games. A bit more testing is in order, but otherwise, I'm preparing to upgrade all of the computers on my home network. I think the family will be quite pleased (particularly the Vista users).

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OMG, how old are you people? WinXP 64bit was around for a LONG time -- and the drivers for it. But before that you actually have Windows NT to thank for 64bit driver support. Vista didn't "bring 64bit" computing forward. In fact, most Vista users are running 32bit. And exactly how many 64bit applications and games are there? Crysis ... errrr ... Crysis Warhead ... errr ... ok not many, in fact VERY few, dare I say VERY rare.

Who do you think the monkey is in the video link below?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc&feature=related

You seriously believe this clown -- jumping around like a fat pig doing his hilter salutes -- you think he knows technology, you think he knows what people want, and don't want -- he has NO clue, he's just riding the monopoly wave and now that people are waking up and realizing Microsoft's software does indeed stink, they're finding alternatives.

Look he's exhausted from 30 seconds on jumping around stage. He's the equivalent of the now ex-Billy Mays of advertising junk that people don't know, doesn't work, and don't want.

But hey, if you liked Vista, you'll love Windows 7 -- cause it's the same product with a face lift, based on the same Vista code base.

But according to most surveys, corporations and individuals don't like Vista and it's there because of the cost to switch is expensive. In fact, Intel IT are still using WinXP -- yes, Intel. Sooooo...

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]OMG, how old are you people? WinXP 64bit was around for a LONG time -- and the drivers for it. But before that you actually have Windows NT to thank for 64bit driver support. Vista didn't "bring 64bit" computing forward. In fact, most Vista users are running 32bit. And exactly how many 64bit applications and games are there? Crysis ... errrr ... Crysis Warhead ... errr ... ok not many, in fact VERY few, dare I say VERY rare.Who do you think the monkey is in the video link below?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvs [...] re=relatedYou seriously believe this clown -- jumping around like a fat pig doing his hilter salutes -- you think he knows technology, you think he knows what people want, and don't want -- he has NO clue, he's just riding the monopoly wave and now that people are waking up and realizing Microsoft's software does indeed stink, they're finding alternatives. Look he's exhausted from 30 seconds on jumping around stage. He's the equivalent of the now ex-Billy Mays of advertising junk that people don't know, doesn't work, and don't want.But hey, if you liked Vista, you'll love Windows 7 -- cause it's the same product with a face lift, based on the same Vista code base.But according to most surveys, corporations and individuals don't like Vista and it's there because of the cost to switch is expensive. In fact, Intel IT are still using WinXP -- yes, Intel. Sooooo...[/citation]

Forget to take our meds today?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
OK, then how old are you? When was the first 64 bit Windows released, and what was the version? (hint... I know the answer...)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]God the cases look sexy.[/citation]
I know.

I'll take the black one please.
... My RTM copy expires in less than 24 hours... I should rearm it...

coolkev99

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
I downloaded Win7 beta, and it just seemed like a modified Vista. Yes, it ran decently on an old AMD PC I had laying around, but besides that not sure what the hype is all about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.